MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Dec 16, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #887 of 2,583
Okay, I'll toss my impressions in here, only because it's been a bit of a journey. It was not love at first listen for me, but there's a reason brief listens are unreliable. These things take time

nice write up, i picked up an AFO a couple of weeks ago, i'm loving mine

Dec 16, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #888 of 2,583
Jay! Great to hear from you! It's been a while.

We've always had similar setups, so it makes sense that we'd gravitate to the same stuff. Great minds and all that :)

Dec 16, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #889 of 2,583
schiit gear is great, loving the mimby, and if i hadn't run across the gustard h10, i might just have a schiit amp

Dec 16, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #890 of 2,583
i'm around, just not as active , although, it seems i'm creeping back.....

Dec 16, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #893 of 2,583
hi guys, does wearing glasses have a huge impact on the bass of this headphone?

No impact on the bass for me. Of course, glasses frames and peoples heads are all different shapes and sizes, ymmv.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #894 of 2,583
BURN IN AND PADS?

I have read, that MrSpeakers does not only match drivers on their headphones, but they also match the pads too (cool!- could you elaborate more on this @mrspeakers ?).

Also, Focal touts pads with changed materials and added perforations on their new headphone models as one of the major advancements that helped Focal's Clear and Elex to achieve their SQ.

How much do you think, the final SQ of the HP is dependent on the shape of their pads?
Also, wearing headphones changes the shape of the pads, which can also lead to changing the final response the headphone has. Could this change be attributed (at least partially) to the effect most people here describe as "burn in"?

Dec 16, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #896 of 2,583
so I need a dac under 1k to match my Cayin IHA-6 and suggestions ? using it with the lcd2c/AFOs mostly.
I'm really loving the Denafrips Ares right now. They sell in the Head-Fi classifieds for ~$500.

Of course, you could go the easy route and buy the matching Cayin iDAC-6 and then you'd have a nice Cayin stack. Last one posted to the classifieds by itself was in November for $450.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #897 of 2,583
I'm really loving the Denafrips Ares right now. They sell in the Head-Fi classifieds for ~$500.

Of course, you could go the easy route and buy the matching Cayin iDAC-6 and then you'd have a nice Cayin stack. Last one posted to the classifieds by itself was in November for $450.
Ive been eyeing that or refurb sonica

Dec 16, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #898 of 2,583
I don't know why, but AFO is very addictive. When I possessed hd800s, ether c, ether c flows, I managed to skip a few days without listening any songs. These days, I listen to music more than a few hours everyday. Maybe it is because I bought AFO as a Christmas present for my parents as I already have ECF. Very tempted to buy another pair for my own. Oh..my wallet.

Dec 17, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #899 of 2,583
I don't know why, but AFO is very addictive. When I possessed hd800s, ether c, ether c flows, I managed to skip a few days without listening any songs. These days, I listen to music more than a few hours everyday. Maybe it is because I bought AFO as a Christmas present for my parents as I already have ECF. Very tempted to buy another pair for my own. Oh..my wallet.
Come up with a schedule where you get to play with their AFO on the weekends and they can play with the ECF, Pseudo-headphone custody. :floatsmile:

Me and a friend had a modded HE-500 we were supposed to trade with each other monthly and then I forgot my month and he has had em for a year now.

Dec 17, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #900 of 2,583
Black filter team here as well.

The musicality of the headphone, the tonality, and detail retrieval makes it easy to get lost in music. The AFOs, in my opinion, easily handles most genres, has as a whole a very cohesive sound, and puts a nice bow around most songs for you.

I easily get lost in them and find an hour of two have already passed by before I notice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back