MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Dec 20, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #917 of 2,583
20171220_160020.jpg The eagle has landed..

Dec 21, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #919 of 2,583
So i have the focal elear, and apart from that huge dip at the upper midrange, it is more or less the perfect headphones for me. So im trying to find another set of headphones to complement the elear. Do you think that the difference in sound signature between aeon flow open and focal elear is big enough to complement focal elear? No place to audition them in my area unfortunately

Dec 21, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #920 of 2,583
So i have the focal elear, and apart from that huge dip at the upper midrange, it is more or less the perfect headphones for me. So im trying to find another set of headphones to complement the elear. Do you think that the difference in sound signature between aeon flow open and focal elear is big enough to complement focal elear? No place to audition them in my area unfortunately

They would be a great compliment to the Elear.

Dec 21, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #921 of 2,583
I can't speak for wether the dirrence will be big enough for you, but like @BuddhaBruce said, it is a great compliment to it.

Dec 21, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #922 of 2,583
Were the headphones still sibilant to you after burn in and using the different dampening filters?

I can’t hear sibilance on my pair but of course I’m running a different chain.

I just got my pair on Tues (12/19). I cannot imagine, for the life of me, how anyone could think these were sibilant. Out of the box, I thought these were a big, very warm mess.

I've been playing them continuously since (with many hours actually on my head!), and they are starting to sound pretty great to me. I can't know if there's really a physical burn-in going on, but my brain is loving it. (FYI, I'm a HD600 guy in the HD600 vs HD650 spectrum)

Dec 21, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #923 of 2,583
I just got my pair on Tues (12/19). I cannot imagine, for the life of me, how anyone could think these were sibilant. Out of the box, I thought these were a big, very warm mess.

I've been playing them continuously since (with many hours actually on my head!), and they are starting to sound pretty great to me. I can't know if there's really a physical burn-in going on, but my brain is loving it. (FYI, I'm a HD600 guy in the HD600 vs HD650 spectrum)

Physical burn-in is real. I used to be on the fence about that but I had the luxury of being able to compare in-store demo cans that had countless hours on them and the brand new ones I bought out of the box side-by-side. Massive difference between the two. This was enough evidence I needed to accept that burn-in is real.

Dec 21, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #924 of 2,583

It’s possible he’s more sensitive than us and may need a darker headphone. The highs were a tad hot for me when I first put them on but after listening to them for a full two weeks the highs mellowed out and now they’re fantastic. Never sibilant though.

It’s a natural feeling going from the HD600/650s to the AFOs. Enjoy the heck out of them. I have! :L3000:

Dec 21, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #925 of 2,583
Physical burn-in is real. I used to be on the fence about that but I had the luxury of being able to compare in-store demo cans that had countless hours on them and the brand new ones I bought out of the box side-by-side. Massive difference between the two. This was enough evidence I needed to accept that burn-in is real.

Oh, I acknowledge that it's real. Without doing the actual test you describe, though, I don't think it's possible for an individual, over time, to discern how much of the change he hears is due to actual physical changes vs. brain accommodation and acclimation.

I'm also a little skeptical that physical burn-in always seems to result in changes for the better, if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #926 of 2,583

Don't forget that you have four different tuning options available to you with the AFO.

Dec 21, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #927 of 2,583
A sabre dac makes these things sound like a high end version of the hd650 or at least my setup which is a smsl m8 optical to a cayin iha6 balanced I'm currently looking for a new dac. I've been leaning towards the sonica lately.

Dec 21, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #928 of 2,583
A sabre dac makes these things sound like a high end version of the hd650 or at least my setup which is a smsl m8 optical to a cayin iha6 balanced I'm currently looking for a new dac. I've been leaning towards the sonica lately.

There's a lot to like about the Oppo. I'd love to hear that paired with the AFO.... I'll finally get to hear them at CanJam NYC. I so can't wait.

Dec 21, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #930 of 2,583
My initial impressions from last night are very positive for out of the box and on the head. Excited for the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back