MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Dec 17, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #901 of 2,583
Ive been eyeing that or refurb sonica
Where do you buy a refurbished one? I never looked into it before but it certainly looks nice. With an ES9038 chip I'm sure it sounds nice too. I quite like my HA-2SE with the AFO. The neutral sound works well with the slightly warm sound of the AFO. Granted the HA-2SE has an ES9028 vs an ES9038.

Dec 17, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #902 of 2,583
Where do you buy a refurbished one? I never looked into it before but it certainly looks nice. With an ES9038 chip I'm sure it sounds nice too. I quite like my HA-2SE with the AFO. The neutral sound works well with the slightly warm sound of the AFO. Granted the HA-2SE has an ES9028 vs an ES9038.
the main website go to the shop and browse sometimes they sell out and they remove them but i've seen them comeback within a week or so so keep looking if it's not there https://www.oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ZSDAC3 I found it for you actually hehe

Dec 18, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #903 of 2,583

Don’t you lose some bass authority with ha-2se? Though I like sound from my ha-2, i found bass is slightly loose from it. The new 2se might be better. My afo pairs better with Hugo, which is a neutral side as well and brighter than mojo.

Dec 18, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #904 of 2,583
BURN IN AND PADS?

I have read, that MrSpeakers does not only match drivers on their headphones, but they also match the pads too (cool!- could you elaborate more on this @mrspeakers ?).

How much do you think, the final SQ of the HP is dependent on the shape of their pads? Also, wearing headphones changes the shape of the pads, which can also lead to changing the final response the headphone has. Could this change be attributed (at least partially) to the effect most people here describe as "burn in"?

We match pads as there is a tolerance on how thick the foam is. Because the pads are fairly deep but not so thick they will compress, so we try to match the pads for even compression.

In practice, if the pads start to really compress over time both sides will be limited by your ears, so the change over time should be reasonably symmetric.

so I need a dac under 1k to match my Cayin IHA-6 and suggestions ? using it with the lcd2c/AFOs mostly.

Did you try the iDAC6? Another really good option is the GMB, which is a bit warmer tonally with a smoother top end.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 18, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #905 of 2,583
We match pads as there is a tolerance on how thick the foam is. Because the pads are fairly deep but not so thick they will compress, so we try to match the pads for even compression.

In practice, if the pads start to really compress over time both sides will be limited by your ears, so the change over time should be reasonably symmetric.

Did you try the iDAC6? Another really good option is the GMB, which is a bit warmer tonally with a smoother top end.
No I haven't, but I did receive my XLR cables and om*g it's a overall better Headphone now Whattttt !!! they just opened up, I mean everyone(all reviews) said the Cayin IHA-6 with Balanced is just better period but I didn't know it was this much of a difference. I'm excited to hear it side by side against the lcd2c on friday !! unforunately I won't have a balanced cable :frowning2: I don't think the AFO needs a warmer tonally, smoother top end at least the way it sound with my current setup up(not a bad thing). PC>optical>SMSL M8 (borrowed it because my USB is causing insane amount of noise IDK WHY !!) > Cayin IHA-6 > 4pin balanced(dummer) > AFO. if there is something I'd like to add more of... dynamics ? and wider soundstage if a dac can provide that I want it ! lol

Dec 18, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #906 of 2,583
No I haven't, but I did receive my XLR cables and om*g it's a overall better Headphone now Whattttt !!! they just opened up, I mean everyone(all reviews) said the Cayin IHA-6 with Balanced is just better period but I didn't know it was this much of a difference. I'm excited to hear it side by side against the lcd2c on friday !! unforunately I won't have a balanced cable :frowning2: I don't think the AFO needs a warmer tonally, smoother top end at least the way it sound with my current setup up(not a bad thing). PC>optical>SMSL M8 (borrowed it because my USB is causing insane amount of noise IDK WHY !!) > Cayin IHA-6 > 4pin balanced(dummer) > AFO. if there is something I'd like to add more of... dynamics ? and wider soundstage if a dac can provide that I want it ! lol

I'm confused about this. The SMSL M8 isn't a balanced DAC (I think?), so how are you taking full advantage of the IHA-6 balanced? I'm not being condescending here, I actually don't know. I thought you had to use the XLR inputs on the IHA-6 (with a corresponding balanced DAC like the IDAC-6, or the jot) to get the full benefit of 'balanced'. But then also the XLR out just happens to provide more power than the SE out anyway, which could account for the... *difference* in sound? I'm skeptical but open-minded here. Please let me know how this works with this amp because I'm looking to pick one up soon haha.

Dec 19, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #907 of 2,583
I'm confused about this. The SMSL M8 isn't a balanced DAC (I think?), so how are you taking full advantage of the IHA-6 balanced? I'm not being condescending here, I actually don't know. I thought you had to use the XLR inputs on the IHA-6 (with a corresponding balanced DAC like the IDAC-6, or the jot) to get the full benefit of 'balanced'. But then also the XLR out just happens to provide more power than the SE out anyway, which could account for the... *difference* in sound? I'm skeptical but open-minded here. Please let me know how this works with this amp because I'm looking to pick one up soon haha.
Full balanced would most likely change the sound even more so but yes currently with only my amp balanced the sound has changed mostly in soundstage its just ballooned or expanded so to speak.

Dec 19, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #909 of 2,583
The low impedance and high impedance jack work well for their appropriated uses as low impedance cans sound better from the low impedance jack and vice versa but everything sounds better balanced. If you do not plan on using this amp balanced you will not get the full story of what this amp delivers in sound quality. - eaephiles.org

While I'm on the topic, I will say this amp is best enjoyed in balanced mode.
Read more at https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/cayin-idac-6-and-iha-6-dynamic-duo-page-3#LGieoOXoLTvL8Svc.99

I couldn’t find much to fault with this pairing in terms of resolution and power but I did find going balanced with this combo to produce the most rewarding performance. -headfonics

Dec 19, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #910 of 2,583
The low impedance and high impedance jack work well for their appropriated uses as low impedance cans sound better from the low impedance jack and vice versa but everything sounds better balanced. If you do not plan on using this amp balanced you will not get the full story of what this amp delivers in sound quality. - eaephiles.org

While I'm on the topic, I will say this amp is best enjoyed in balanced mode.
Read more at https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/cayin-idac-6-and-iha-6-dynamic-duo-page-3#LGieoOXoLTvL8Svc.99

I couldn’t find much to fault with this pairing in terms of resolution and power but I did find going balanced with this combo to produce the most rewarding performance. -headfonics

No I agree. I'm saying it's not being used in fully balanced mode unless you use a balanced DAC. So that's why I'm unclear as to why it might sound better out of the XLR, when it's not even hooked up to a balanced input.

Dec 19, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #911 of 2,583
No I agree. I'm saying it's not being used in fully balanced mode unless you use a balanced DAC. So that's why I'm unclear as to why it might sound better out of the XLR, when it's not even hooked up to a balanced input.

yep

Dec 19, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #912 of 2,583
Because the balanced implementation is better in the amp ?

Dec 19, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #914 of 2,583
So does that mean running a balanced amp without a balanced DAC gives you... what? A partially balanced signal? Which then sounds better than the SE out but not as much separation as fully balanced? This is so confusing.
It depends on the topology of the amp.

For instance, with the Schiit Jotenheim, you can use a SE DAC and use the balanced out on your headphones. There will be improvements. On other amps, not so much.

I'm not familiar enough with the amp in question to know if actual improvements with a SE DAC is real or just placebo.

Do some searching around the webs and you'll find the info you need.

Dec 19, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #915 of 2,583
If you consider a fully balanced amp to also need the balanced dac then that is fine, there aren't rules to dictate you need a balanced everything to the best of my knowledge.

For something like the Questyle cma600i with a balanced amp but a single dac I just call it a balanced amp for folks curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back