MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Dec 22, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #933 of 2,583
Can someone explain the Mr. Speakers connectors to me? I've had my right cable come loose at the headphone a few times, and after giving it a close look, I couldn't figure out what the "locking" mechanism was, if any. It appears to just push on but I can't tell what's to keep it from falling back out.

Anyone?

Dec 22, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #934 of 2,583
you need to pull back in the collar , just make sure the pins are lined up correctly, and it is a snug fit
it connecter should go all the way in, and the collar will snap into place

Dec 22, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #935 of 2,583
I just got my pair on Tues (12/19). I cannot imagine, for the life of me, how anyone could think these were sibilant. Out of the box, I thought these were a big, very warm mess.

I've been playing them continuously since (with many hours actually on my head!), and they are starting to sound pretty great to me. I can't know if there's really a physical burn-in going on, but my brain is loving it. (FYI, I'm a HD600 guy in the HD600 vs HD650 spectrum)

Im also in the HD600 camp and your comments make these sound promising. I'm pretty sensitive to bass bloom, can you give any feedback on that?

Dec 22, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #937 of 2,583
thumbsupDUDE.jpg no sweat !

Dec 22, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #938 of 2,583
A sabre dac makes these things sound like a high end version of the hd650 or at least my setup which is a smsl m8 optical to a cayin iha6 balanced I'm currently looking for a new dac. I've been leaning towards the sonica lately.

I'm not sure it's the DAC that's doing the magic for you. Dan specifically mentioned that sabre DACs can be the cause of some glare/grain some people pick up on. I'll be confirming this soon with a switch to an AKM DAC.

Dec 22, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #939 of 2,583
I'm not sure it's the DAC that's doing the magic for you. Dan specifically mentioned that sabre DACs can be the cause of some glare/grain some people pick up on. I'll be confirming this soon with a switch to an AKM DAC.
the dac made it sound more hd650 like.... at least when i listen to my hd650s via OTL Tube amp La Figaro 339.

PS It could be they sound like hd600s but i've never listened to a pair of hd600s so I wouldn't know.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #940 of 2,583
OTL amps can be tricky to pair with planars. Many have trouble driving enough current to push a low impedance headphone. I don’t know the unit you mention but just in case you might ask the manufacturer if it’s ok into 13 ohms.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 23, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #941 of 2,583
OTL amps can be tricky to pair with planars. Many have trouble driving enough current to push a low impedance headphone. I don’t know the unit you mention but just in case you might ask the manufacturer if it’s ok into 13 ohms.
I am using my afo through the cayin iha6 not my tube amp im using the tube amp with my hd650.

Dec 24, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #942 of 2,583
After Day 2 of heavy listening: The AFOs signature is difficult to describe. They don’t overdo anything...smooth & subtle...in an engaging way.

I would say the AFOs have an addictive characteristic (musical?). I don’t know if it’s because of the newness to me or if it's the innoculating sound signature that connects you to the warmth of the music?

I compared them side by side to my Sennheiser M2s. There were 2 notable differences (neither pros or cons—just differences):

1) The M2s are louder/efficient at the same output volume from my Chord Mojo/Poly combo.

2) The M2s sound signature is perceptively
more present at lower listening levels. I think it’s drawn from the way that the AFOs are tuned (see note).

Note: If I recall...
Dan indicated he intentionally tuned the AFOs with consumer ear safety in mind.

The ergonomic design & comfort on the AFOs are impeccable...the ear cup design is one that all headphone manufacturers should follow (if there’s no pending patent).

Early conclusion: The AFOs are an excellent open headset choice in my non-audiophile humble opinion.
91E9A975-04E2-4B1B-BA24-693DE6FF5140.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #943 of 2,583
After Day 2 of heavy listening: The AFOs signature is difficult to describe. They don’t overdo anything...smooth & subtle...in an engaging way.

I would say the AFOs have an addictive characteristic (musical?). I don’t know if it’s because of the newness to me or if it's the the innoculating sound signature that connects you to the warmth of the music?

I agree with all of this. I think some of it* (The *weirdness) may be the way the frequency response seems to show a drop at around 50-90hz, but then extends far below, where as most "typical sounding" dynamic driver headphones seem to always peak at around there, and then drop sharply below 50hz. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #944 of 2,583

I would say the AFOs have an addictive characteristic (musical?). I don’t know if it’s because of the newness to me or if it's the innoculating sound signature that connects you to the warmth of the music?

I compared them side by side to my Sennheiser M2s. There were 2 notable differences (neither pros or cons—just differences):

1) The M2s are louder/efficient at the same output volume from my Chord Mojo/Poly combo.

2) The M2s sound signature is perceptively
more present at lower listening levels. I think it’s drawn from the way that the AFOs are tuned (see note).

Note: If I recall...
Dan indicated he intentionally tuned the AFOs with consumer ear safety in mind.

The ergonomic design & comfort on the AFOs are impeccable...the ear cup design is one that all headphone manufacturers should follow (if there’s no pending patent).

Early conclusion: The AFOs are an excellent open headset choice in my non-audiophile humble opinion.
I completely agree on point 2 i don't own m2s though

Dec 24, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #945 of 2,583
I must have been a good kid this year, Santa has been good to me. Just received the AFO!!! Now I have both the AFO and AFC. Anyone notice the earpads are slightly different in shape? Of course, this may be the fact the AFOs are directly from the box and have not been worn as of yet. AFCs took time to burn in, but the AFOs sound perfect straight from the box. Unless the wife purchased the AFOs, most likely I would not have justified purchasing since I already owned the AFCs. With that said, I am glad she did. I have always liked open back headphones over closed for the simple fact of the dynamic span and honestly they do not get as hot. What do I do with the AFC, hmmmm?

Anyone can tell me what makes these AFOs displayed here in the picture unique and why?

IMG_1726.JPG IMG_1727.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back