MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Oct 15, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #106 of 2,583
Oct 15, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #110 of 2,583
As someone who has owned the TH-900's, I would say the LCD-2C would serve as a better complement. Same goes for the ZMF Atticus or the new HD660S.

The TH-900 excels in sub-bass, treble, and soundstage (which is even bigger than some open backs). So a complement would be something that excels in mid-bass punch and vocals, with smooth highs.

The Aeon Closed were on the brighter, leaner side of neutral. If the Opens are a touch warmer, I would imagine they would be even closer to neutral, but with more body, and serve better as an all-round headphone.

Thanks for the insight. The new Sennheisers look interesting too. Unless Audeze comes up with LCD-3C, I think I’ll take a closer look at the HD660S and LCD-2Cs.

Oct 15, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #111 of 2,583
i suspect for ZMF you are paying alot for the material and finish rather than the sound, I wish they would do a plastic housing version, lighter and cheaper
I strongly disagree on all accounts!
Yes, wood cups cost more to make and weigh more, but ZMF sound is awesome, partly due to the wood cups. You got to try it as opposed to "suspect" what it sounds like :wink:

I own the Atticus and LOVE it. Auteur is awesome, too! keep telling myself I do not need it in addition... we'll see how strong my will power is...

Plastic cups would make it lighter and cheaper, but I strongly suspect the sound would be different. I do not know that for a fact, obviously, but can tell you that Zach's headphones are also pieces of art.

Bottom line:
You're NOT just paying for the cool looks. Sound is great (for those who like warm and smooth sound with some extra bass).

Oct 15, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #112 of 2,583
Yes, wood cups cost more to make and weigh more, but ZMF sound is awesome, partly due to the wood cups. You got to try it as opposed to "suspect" what it sounds like :wink:

I own the Atticus and LOVE it. Auteur is awesome, too! keep telling myself I do not need it in addition... we'll see how strong my will power is...

Plastic cups would make it lighter and cheaper, but I strongly suspect the sound would be different. I do not know that for a fact, obviously, but can tell you that Zach's headphones are also pieces of art.

Bottom line:
You're NOT just paying for the cool looks. Sound is great (for those who like warm and smooth sound with some extra bass).
I love my Atticus but the weight is something that should be cut down. The Aeon feels like a little toy (not in a bad way) compared to the Atticus and is far more comfortable for multiple hour uses. Dan’s ergonomic approach is something really special.

Oct 15, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #114 of 2,583
I absolutely love what I’m reading and hearing about the new AFO headphones.

I purchased the fantastic Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pros in April. I listen to them and enjoy them almost every night. Woo amplification, Cary Audio DAC, CD transport and an Astell Kern dap with good ic’s and power cords. The DT 1990 Pros sound really good (love the low end w the balanced pads) BUT...a new shooter and much needed headphone has arrived in that $600-$800 “mid-fi” price range.

Anyone have an idea on how the AFO might compare and/or compete with the balanced tone of the Beyers?

Oct 15, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #116 of 2,583

Bottom line:

i would love to try the auteur, but at 500g it is a big red flag, i have owned the LCD2 also 500g and i hated the weight, I am sure the auteur would sound great but if it gives hot spots on my head then what is the point.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #117 of 2,583
Open a store in NorCal, and you'll get WAY more than 10 bucks... :wink:
'

Audio Vision in San Francisco carriers MrSpeakers ✌️

Oct 15, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #118 of 2,583
i would love to try the auteur, but at 500g it is a big red flag

The 500g is for Auteur with African Blackwood I think. That's the densest wood out there I believe. You can choose other lighter wood for the Auteur and the weight would be more manageable :)

Audio Vision in San Francisco carriers MrSpeakers ✌️

Yeap! I bought my closed Aeon from them as well. It's nice that AVSF isn't too far from my work so I can just take Lyft to see them any time I want.

Oct 16, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #119 of 2,583
how do these compare to the HD6XX? worth the extra $600?
I can compare them to the HD650. The Aeon tonally is way more neutral. The 650 is a lot warmer. If you add the bass pads to the Aeon open you will get more warmth but it still wont be as much as what the 600 does normally. This is totally up to the listener to decide what they prefer. Also what gear they match it with makes a huge difference!

Build quality goes to the Aeon easily in my opinion. That is one noticeable stand out quality to all of Dan's original designs.

With that said the weight difference between the two is Aeon at 321 grams and the HD650 at 260 grams. The HD650 (and HD600 for that matter) are super light! I think the build quality dictates a lot of that weight, and therefore I would rather have the Aeons in that regard... I am in no way saying they are heavy by the way ha. I am used to wearing cans that are around 500 grams so it makes no difference past a certain point to me.

Oct 16, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #120 of 2,583

Users who are viewing this thread

Back