MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Oct 14, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #91 of 2,583
Am I correct to assume that the AEON Flow Open has a warmer and mid-rich signature compared to the rest of the company's offerings?

Looking for some headphones to compliment my TH900s, and I was pretty much set on LCD-3s before the announcements of AEON Flow Open and LCD-2C.

Oct 14, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #93 of 2,583
how do these compare to the HD6XX? worth the extra $600?
I suspect that the answer would depend on the reviewer's taste... :wink:
Quick example would be the Focal Utopia - is it worth 5x the price of AEON (open or closed)? Some would say "absolutely" where I personally like the AEONs better (regardless of price)!!

Oct 14, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #94 of 2,583
I'll be comparing AFO to the hd650 and maybe the hd660 S.
I guess like with any headphones it all depends on your personal preference and music genre.

When it came to the HD 650 I found the soundstage to be very intimate and sometimes claustrophobic but definitely a sit back and just chill with mellow treble rolloff.

I think even the Aeon closed has larger soundstage then the HD 650 .

Just can’t wait to audition the Aeon open.

Oct 14, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #95 of 2,583
Am I correct to assume that the AEON Flow Open has a warmer and mid-rich signature compared to the rest of the company's offerings?

Looking for some headphones to compliment my TH900s, and I was pretty much set on LCD-3s before the announcements of AEON Flow Open and LCD-2C.

As someone who has owned the TH-900's, I would say the LCD-2C would serve as a better complement. Same goes for the ZMF Atticus or the new HD660S.

The TH-900 excels in sub-bass, treble, and soundstage (which is even bigger than some open backs). So a complement would be something that excels in mid-bass punch and vocals, with smooth highs.

The Aeon Closed were on the brighter, leaner side of neutral. If the Opens are a touch warmer, I would imagine they would be even closer to neutral, but with more body, and serve better as an all-round headphone.

Oct 14, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #96 of 2,583
I spent the greater part of my day at The Source AV yesterday and it was awesome. I had a blast hanging out with @TSAVAlan , @TSAVJason , and Wayne. This was my first experience with higher end cans and equipment and they were gracious enough to let me spend 8 hours or so auditioning headphones and asking a million questions (hope they didn't get too annoyed lol)
I'm the type that obsesses with researching everything I can before making any purchase and for headphones, nothing can beat really just listening for yourself since everyone's ears are different. My ears are pretty sensitive to pressure (can't wear in-ears) and also somewhat sensitive to treble ( for example, my TH-X00 just fatigue me really really quickly, sometimes within 5 minutes).

After listening to HD800, HD800s, LCD2, LCD3, zmf eikon, Focal Elear and Utopia, Ether Flow open and closed, Aeon Flow open and closed, I got a good grasp of what sounds good to my ears. Going into this, I thought my preference would be the Sennheisers (I enjoy my HD650s) and the Audeze. I ended up enjoying the Focals and MrSpeakers cans alot more.
I spent the last 2 or so hours A/Bing the Utopia, Elear, Aeon Open, and Ether Flow Open (I preferred the open to the closed because of my ear sensitivity to pressure). I REALLY enjoyed the Utopia, but it was out of my price range. The Elear was not bad, but it just isn't the Utopia and I can say that I do like the Focal sound.

I know there were some inquiries about how the Aeon Flow Open and the Ether Flow Open compare to each other and here is what it was like for me:
- Put on the Aeon and think to myself, this is pretty damn good.
- Quickly switch to the Ether Flow.... wow, the bigger driver is quite a difference and it just like a warmth of sound just wraps around my head like a scarf.
- Quickly switch back to the Aeon.... wow, this isn't the Ether flow but these are still REALLY REALLY REALLY GOOD.

Are the Ether Flows worth the extra 1k? For me - maybe. but ultimately your budget will play a big part in this decision.

I listen to quite the variety of music, from metal to rock to hip hop to soundtracks (cant get enough of game of thrones orchestra) to 80s music and I realized that I would not find a single headphone to do it all, I would need a few. At the end of the day, there was no doubt in my mind that I had to get the Aeon open. This also allowed me to pre-order the Focal clears while staying within my budget :)

Oct 14, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #97 of 2,583
- Quickly switch to the Ether Flow.... wow, the bigger driver is quite a difference and it just like a warmth of sound just wraps around my head like a scarf.
- Quickly switch back to the Aeon.... wow, this isn't the Ether flow but these are still REALLY REALLY REALLY GOOD.

For me, I felt the same way between the Ether Flow and the Utopia -- as in the Utopia was still really really really good but I actually liked that warmth of sound that wraps around my head like a scarf -- like the Utopia is an accurate picture but the Ether Flow has added saturation making sky's bluer and grass greener, which imo is better than real life and more engaging.

Oct 14, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #98 of 2,583
I spent the greater part of my day at The Source AV yesterday and it was awesome. I had a blast hanging out with @TSAVAlan , @TSAVJason , and Wayne. This was my first experience with higher end cans and equipment and they were gracious enough to let me spend 8 hours or so auditioning headphones and asking a million questions (hope they didn't get too annoyed lol)
I'm the type that obsesses with researching everything I can before making any purchase and for headphones, nothing can beat really just listening for yourself since everyone's ears are different. My ears are pretty sensitive to pressure (can't wear in-ears) and also somewhat sensitive to treble ( for example, my TH-X00 just fatigue me really really quickly, sometimes within 5 minutes).

After listening to HD800, HD800s, LCD2, LCD3, zmf eikon, Focal Elear and Utopia, Ether Flow open and closed, Aeon Flow open and closed, I got a good grasp of what sounds good to my ears. Going into this, I thought my preference would be the Sennheisers (I enjoy my HD650s) and the Audeze. I ended up enjoying the Focals and MrSpeakers cans alot more.
I spent the last 2 or so hours A/Bing the Utopia, Elear, Aeon Open, and Ether Flow Open (I preferred the open to the closed because of my ear sensitivity to pressure). I REALLY enjoyed the Utopia, but it was out of my price range. The Elear was not bad, but it just isn't the Utopia and I can say that I do like the Focal sound.

I know there were some inquiries about how the Aeon Flow Open and the Ether Flow Open compare to each other and here is what it was like for me:

Are the Ether Flows worth the extra 1k? For me - maybe. but ultimately your budget will play a big part in this decision.

I listen to quite the variety of music, from metal to rock to hip hop to soundtracks (cant get enough of game of thrones orchestra) to 80s music and I realized that I would not find a single headphone to do it all, I would need a few. At the end of the day, there was no doubt in my mind that I had to get the Aeon open. This also allowed me to pre-order the Focal clears while staying within my budget :)

Hahahahaha it wasn’t 8 hours. We would have kicked you out at 7.5 hours. Because you joined us for lunch it just seemed like 8 hours .....thx for the kind words.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Oct 14, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #99 of 2,583
Available for DEMO & Pre-Order @TSAV NOW.
19D4F5BB-3AAD-446A-98BE-719637296E17.jpeg

NEW STORE HOURS Monday - Friday 8am - 5pm Pacific Time Saturday’s 12Noon - 6pm

Last edited:
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Oct 14, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #100 of 2,583

Please let us know how the Aeon open and the Focal Clear compare when you get them.

Oct 14, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #102 of 2,583
For me, I felt the same way between the Ether Flow and the Utopia -- as in the Utopia was still really really really good but I actually liked that warmth of sound that wraps around my head like a scarf -- like the Utopia is an accurate picture but the Ether Flow has added saturation making sky's bluer and grass greener, which imo is better than real life and more engaging.

Awesome description, this is how I generally feel about the 2 sound signatures - focal being cleaner and the aeon/ethers being more... Warm and artistic :)

Hahahahaha it wasn’t 8 hours. We would have kicked you out at 7.5 hours. Because you joined us for lunch it just seemed like 8 hours .....thx for the kind words.

Haha! Thanks again for the help Jason.

Please let us know how the Aeon open and the Focal Clear compare when you get them.

Will do. My idea of the focal clear right now is just a guess. I spent a little bit of time A/Bing the Elears and Utopias to try to get a sense of what's in the middle. Jason mentioned to me to try to imagine what's in between and add in a little bit of the ZMF Eikon bass.

My hope is that these 2 cans will be different enough to be a complement to each other. I've already accepted how awesome the aeon opens sound to my ears, now just need to wait for the clears at the end of the month....

Oct 14, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #103 of 2,583

NEW STORE HOURS Monday - Friday 8am - 5pm Pacific Time Saturday’s 12Noon - 6pm

Wish I were at driving distance from your store... :frowning2:
Open a store in NorCal Jason!! :wink:

Oct 15, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #105 of 2,583
Awesome description, this is how I generally feel about the 2 sound signatures - focal being cleaner and the aeon/ethers being more... Warm and artistic :)

Haha! Thanks again for the help Jason.

Will do. My idea of the focal clear right now is just a guess. I spent a little bit of time A/Bing the Elears and Utopias to try to get a sense of what's in the middle. Jason mentioned to me to try to imagine what's in between and add in a little bit of the ZMF Eikon bass.

My hope is that these 2 cans will be different enough to be a complement to each other. I've already accepted how awesome the aeon opens sound to my ears, now just need to wait for the clears at the end of the month....

Thank @TSAVAlan, I was just the comic relief :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back