MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Feb 26, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #2,551 of 2,583
I have an OG version of this I recently acquired and am quite happy with it. Currently running without any inserts, I like it on my Jotunheim 2 but think it really shines on my Liquid Platinum with NOS tubes! Makes me want to hear the RT and AFC, etc. Hands down the most comfortable Planar I have heard taboot. One thing to keep in mind: This gobbles up a surprising amount of electrical current and requires more juice than you might imagine for a 13 Ohm set to sound it's best. [Verum One requires similar levels, IMO].

Mar 30, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #2,552 of 2,583
I have an OG version of this I recently acquired and am quite happy with it. Currently running without any inserts, I like it on my Jotunheim 2 but think it really shines on my Liquid Platinum with NOS tubes! Makes me want to hear the RT and AFC, etc. Hands down the most comfortable Planar I have heard taboot. One thing to keep in mind: This gobbles up a surprising amount of electrical current and requires more juice than you might imagine for a 13 Ohm set to sound it's best. [Verum One requires similar levels, IMO].

The Liquid Platinum is a very good amp for these headphones. The Liquid Gold X also has great synergy - it's almost as if these headphones were designed for Cavalli amps.

Apr 15, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #2,553 of 2,583
I think my AFO is heading for an early grave :frowning2: Yesterday it started behaving erratically, with balance shifting right slowly for a while, then returning to the centre and moving a bit to the left. And that's right after I got the Topping A90 for it. I am really gutted because they were the first headphones that got me into this hobby and I was still enjoying them a lot. The issue happens on other sources, too, and switching the left/right cables around changes nothing, with balance remaining shifted in the same place.

Apr 15, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #2,554 of 2,583
I think my AFO is heading for an early grave :frowning2: Yesterday it started behaving erratically, with balance shifting right slowly for a while, then returning to the centre and moving a bit to the left. And that's right after I got the Topping A90 for it. I am really gutted because they were the first headphones that got me into this hobby and I was still enjoying them a lot. The issue happens on other sources, too, and switching the left/right cables around changes nothing, with balance remaining shifted in the same place.
Sorry to hear you are having problems. By sources do you mean other amplifiers also? I ask this because you mention it happened after you got the A90. My suspicion would be with the A90 since the problems started shortly after getting that. If you haven't tried it with other amplifiers I would try that first. Just a thought.

Apr 15, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #2,555 of 2,583
Yeah, that's what I meant. I connected the AFO to my DAP today to check and the same thing is happening intermittently, though to a lesser degree and for a shorter time (my guess is because of different power output between the A90 and Shanling M6). I guess I'll dig out my Aune S6 and check on that one, too, just to be sure. Connecting other headphones to the A90 doesn't produce the same balance shift (though the volume pot does have its share of issues), and it's not my ears, either, so I'm convinced it's the AFO that's on its way out to headphone heaven.

Apr 15, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #2,556 of 2,583

I've had the Aeon Flow Xs for a few weeks now and they have become my favorite can by a large margin. Love the sound quality, comfort, and build quality. You're right in that they do need a lot of current to drive effectively. My personal opinion is people who complain about these phones in particular with regards to dynamics and slam haven't broken them in enough before making a decision on them and are not feeding them with the proper current they need to thrive.

I've had good synergy using a Lyr 2 with Amperex Orange Globe 6922s and Little Dot 1+ with Voshkod tubes and Sparkos SS3602 opamp (this was expensive for an opamp but the difference in performance was huge). Believe it or not I actually prefer them with the Little Dot for overall sound quality. The Little Dot is not quite as powerful as the Lyr but you really don't notice the difference in power until you really turn the volume up. I'm talking unhealthy listening levels. For normal listening the modded Little Dot has better synergy to my ears. It goes to show that while the Little Dot may not have the most impressive numbers when it comes to wpc, etc it must have some good current to it. Measurements are not everything. I know I'll probably receive some flack in some circles for saying that, but I let my ears make the decision on what actually sounds good to me and not a spec sheet.

Apr 15, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #2,557 of 2,583
Yeah, that's what I meant. I connected the AFO to my DAP today to check and the same thing is happening intermittently, though to a lesser degree and for a shorter time (my guess is because of different power output between the A90 and Shanling M6). I guess I'll dig out my Aune S6 and check on that one, too, just to be sure. Connecting other headphones to the A90 doesn't produce the same balance shift (though the volume pot does have its share of issues), and it's not my ears, either, so I'm convinced it's the AFO that's on its way out to headphone heaven.

Darn! Again really sorry to hear that. I don't know what I would do without my AFO-Xs. They are indispensable to me now.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #2,558 of 2,583
The Liquid Platinum is a very good amp for these headphones. The Liquid Gold X also has great synergy - it's almost as if these headphones were designed for Cavalli amps.
That's great to hear as I've been eyeballing the LP for my next amp.

Apr 27, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #2,559 of 2,583
I have really been enjoying the semi open design of flow rt. I like the idea of a closed space and have been through many. Elegia, aeon flow 2, atticus, cascade.

So far I’m loving aeon flow rt. I came back to Dan Clark after being BLOWN away by the exceptional imaging in 2 closed. My problem persisted with many closed backs to have this resonant peak in certain frequencies. Maybe I listen too loud, maybe it was the wrong music. I typcially found, in vocals, on these cans a harsh resonance.

I thought my idea of an intimate personal experience in a closed set to be lost. So far this isn’t the case with the rt. I find the decay to be just right in my case and all of the details are there without being shoved in my face. The fr is pleasing enough that I can focus on other tasks but when I come back to the music it’s easy to pull emotions from micro details. Sourcing from xdsd I have a b stock jotunheim otw, can’t wait for more hours of listening.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #2,560 of 2,583
I have really been enjoying the semi open design of flow rt. I like the idea of a closed space and have been through many. Elegia, aeon flow 2, atticus, cascade.

So far I’m loving aeon flow rt. I came back to Dan Clark after being BLOWN away by the exceptional imaging in 2 closed. My problem persisted with many closed backs to have this resonant peak in certain frequencies. Maybe I listen too loud, maybe it was the wrong music. I typcially found, in vocals, on these cans a harsh resonance.

I thought my idea of an intimate personal experience in a closed set to be lost. So far this isn’t the case with the rt. I find the decay to be just right in my case and all of the details are there without being shoved in my face. The fr is pleasing enough that I can focus on other tasks but when I come back to the music it’s easy to pull emotions from micro details. Sourcing from xdsd I have a b stock jotunheim otw, can’t wait for more hours of listening.

Glad you are enjoying them! There's something really seductive about these.

Aug 19, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #2,562 of 2,583
Im looking for made a custom pads for my aeon flow open.
Any recommendations? Leaher, perforated, thickness?

Thanks folks
Anytime you change the pad on a headphone you wind up changing the tuning. I'd ask what you're trying to achieve/change from DCA pads (comfort, sound) and tailor your pads accordingly. I'm no expert on tuning, I imagine others with more DIY experience would be able to steer you in a good direction though.

Best of luck!

Aug 19, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #2,563 of 2,583
Im looking for made a custom pads for my aeon flow open.
Any recommendations? Leaher, perforated, thickness?

Thanks folks
Hello,
I haven't seen any costume pads yet except the ones from Dekoni.
Where I think you are wasting your money.
Stick with the stock pads,there is nothing better.Dan Clark has done a good job there too I must say.
I haven't seen any from Yaxi or the like either, probably because the originals can't be topped.

Aug 19, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #2,564 of 2,583
Hello,
I haven't seen any costume pads yet except the ones from Dekoni.
Where I think you are wasting your money.
Stick with the stock pads,there is nothing better.Dan Clark has done a good job there too I must say.
I haven't seen any from Yaxi or the like either, probably because the originals can't be topped.
Vesperaudio.

Im going to real leather, my actual pads desintegrate, so im not going to buy more stock pads to avoid that issue again.

Thanks for tips, anyways.

Aug 19, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #2,565 of 2,583
Vesperaudio.

Im going to real leather, my actual pads desintegrate, so im not going to buy more stock pads to avoid that issue again.

Thanks for tips, anyways.

Vesper Audio makes pads for the Aeon too

https://vesperaudio.com/

I haven't tried them so I can't comment on them beyond that they exist

Users who are viewing this thread

Back