MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Aug 4, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #2,521 of 2,583
I had the AFO1 2 years already and had replaced the previous pads at around last January. I think i have to order another as the Synthetic Leather flakes easily. I have to replace it yearly and $60 is not acceptable for me if you do it quite often as shipping and cost are issues for me. I came from a tropical country and the humidity and heat might be the culprit. anyone knows how can I take care of the pads so it wont flake? Would leather conditioner be helpful? Also, this would be a heads up for guys that would buy Aeons that are sweaty. :smile_phones:

Aug 5, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #2,522 of 2,583
I sweat easily when wearing the AFO, but there is no damage to the pleather at all. I only feel like the foam inside has lost some of its firmness.
What I do is wipe the earpad surfaces that come into contact with my head on my trousers each time I take them off. Also, once every few days I wipe them thoroughly with antibacterial wipes with aloe. No flaking at all on mine and I still have the original earpads on them.

Aug 5, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #2,523 of 2,583
I had the AFO1 2 years already and had replaced the previous pads at around last January. I think i have to order another as the Synthetic Leather flakes easily. I have to replace it yearly and $60 is not acceptable for me if you do it quite often as shipping and cost are issues for me. I came from a tropical country and the humidity and heat might be the culprit. anyone knows how can I take care of the pads so it wont flake? Would leather conditioner be helpful? Also, this would be a heads up for guys that would buy Aeons that are sweaty. :smile_phones:

The main issue is acidity in skin oil, which varies widely by person. For most people pad life will be much longer but if you have acidity in the skin oil or leave the headphones in direct sun etc that can also affect pad life. Leather treatments would be bad, just wipe gently with a cotton or microfiber cloth to remove excess oil after each listen.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 5, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #2,524 of 2,583
Mine has also started to peel on the part that touches the face and ears . I wear glasses and the part where my frame touches the pads are also peeling . I need to swap them soon . Abit upset that it started peeling after owning them for a year .

Aug 5, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #2,525 of 2,583
I mean, there must be some kind of leather as soft and easy to shape as this pleather thingy. If Focal can sell pads for $200... well, maybe I'll stick to these $60 pads after all. 🤣 nvm...

Aug 5, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #2,526 of 2,583
I remember few years back, seeing this thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/pleather-vs-leather-debunking-the-durability-myth.600095/

Pleather is more durable overall than leather but when exposed to skin oils, humidity, the elements, etc it tends to fall apart faster then leather.

I have the Perforated ETHER 2 Ear Pads on my Ether 2, that uses synthetic leather on my Ether 2 near daily for over a year. Being in Southern California, don't have much humidity here, usually in AC and I would say I don't sweat too much even when gaming. My pads are still fairly mint looking, no cracking or peeling. I can only imagine if I was in a humid location like Singapore, I think my pads wouldn't look too great in comparison.

Sep 2, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #2,530 of 2,583
Anyone used a replacement pads by dekoni? I wonder if it would change the signature
Almost guaranteed to change the sound. I haven't heard them personally so I can't comment there, but any change in pads will alter things at least to some degree.

Sep 6, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #2,531 of 2,583
Almost guaranteed to change the sound. I haven't heard them personally so I can't comment there, but any change in pads will alter things at least to some degree.

I have the sheepskin ones and I can't really tell you if there is a change. Upon changing them, I did not notice anything in particular but I am also not able to A/B test them out. The ear pad change is not a walk in the park since they are using double sided tape. The Dekoni ones are very comfortable and have not collapsed or shifted like the original ones. Dan Clark Audio is sending me new pads since my original ones are warped beyond my ability to fix them up.

Sep 6, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #2,532 of 2,583
I have the sheepskin ones and I can't really tell you if there is a change. Upon changing them, I did not notice anything in particular but I am also not able to A/B test them out. The ear pad change is not a walk in the park since they are using double sided tape. The Dekoni ones are very comfortable and have not collapsed or shifted like the original ones. Dan Clark Audio is sending me new pads since my original ones are warped beyond my ability to fix them up.
The double sided tape does make it more challenging it's true. Either way glad Dan is sending you a new set.

Sep 7, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #2,533 of 2,583

Attachments

• cable.jpg
    cable.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 0
Sep 7, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #2,534 of 2,583
As anyone compared or is anyone able to compare both Aeon Flow RT both open and closed? I own the AFO RT and would like to go closed if possible but would hope fr a very similar sound. I'm certainly ok with any added bass presence or a little less spaciousness due to open design.

I've seen the FR graphs already for both.

I'm thinking of buying the closed one and selling back the open if I find the closed good enough but if someone went through the process already, I would appreciate the feedback for sure.

Oct 13, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #2,535 of 2,583
When ordering these, do I want:

ÆON Flow RT Open from danclarkaudio.com or
Aeon Flow Open X from drop.com

Are there any differences?

This is my first journey above $200 as I mostly use PC37X or Audio Technica 900X for gaming. Trying to get something better for music so I tried Sundara first based on reviews, and while detailed, the lack of bass and kind of sharp treble I didn't like (I also dislike DT 990 for this reason). From what I've been reading these I might like better as far as warmth and still have good imaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back