MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Mar 27, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #1,653 of 2,583
Do the notches in the tuning pads actually contribute to the changes in tone produced by the pads, or are they just there to differentiate the different pads? I'm asking because this may be a simple way to mod the sound by adding notches to the pads. I own the AFC and it only came with one pair of pads which makes the sound a little bassier/darker than I like. Without the pads the sound is just a hair too light. Fickle, aren't I? :)

Mar 27, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #1,654 of 2,583
Do the notches in the tuning pads actually contribute to the changes in tone produced by the pads, or are they just there to differentiate the different pads? I'm asking because this may be a simple way to mod the sound by adding notches to the pads. I own the AFC and it only came with one pair of pads which makes the sound a little bassier/darker than I like. Without the pads the sound is just a hair too light. Fickle, aren't I? :)

The notches are just to differentiate... it's the pad material itself that changes the sound.

If I recall correctly, Dan was saying the tuning pads will be available as a separate purchase for your AFC.

Mar 27, 2018 at 3:48 AM Post #1,655 of 2,583
Due to travel I'm behind on a few things, one is getting a universal, expanded tuning kit for both headphones that includes foam, black felt, 1 and 2 notch white. I am thoroughly enjoying my AFC with 1 notch.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 27, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #1,656 of 2,583
I've been experimenting with trying to change the tuning. I've cut two small sections off a spectacle cleaning cloth, rolled them up into small rectangular sections and inserted them into the front of the earcups effectively decreasing the inside size of the earpads slightly. It makes the sound a bit punchier but keeps the fine airiness of the treble. I'll have to refine what I'm doing but it's quite promising.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #1,657 of 2,583
Due to travel I'm behind on a few things, one is getting a universal, expanded tuning kit for both headphones that includes foam, black felt, 1 and 2 notch white. I am thoroughly enjoying my AFC with 1 notch.
Is the pad which comes with the AFC the lowest bass increasing pad, or is there one with less of an increase?

Mar 27, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #1,658 of 2,583
Is the pad which comes with the AFC the lowest bass increasing pad, or is there one with less of an increase?

Less to more bass

No filter
Black foam
Black felt
1 notch white
2 notch white

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Mar 27, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #1,660 of 2,583
I think the sound of the AFOs is great without pads. Just right for my taste.

Mar 27, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #1,661 of 2,583
I think the sound of the AFOs is great without pads. Just right for my taste.

That’s the point of them! To use or not to use, that is the fun question!

Mar 27, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #1,662 of 2,583
Mar 27, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #1,663 of 2,583
Can anyone elaborate on the sonic differences between the AFC and AFO?

Area of most difference is upper-bass and lower midrange around 2-300hz. The AFC is relatively neutral here, if not slightly lean. The AFO is meaty and elevated here, if slightly muddy. The next biggest area of difference is the upper midrange around 2-3khz. The AFC is pretty linear here, while the AFO is slightly depressed. These changes make the AFC sound pretty shouty in comparison to the AFO, and the AFO sound pretty laid-back in comparison to the AFC. Treble and bass response for the most part is pretty similar.

Mar 27, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #1,664 of 2,583
Less to more bass

No filter
Black foam
Black felt
1 notch white
2 notch white

Would it be safe to say that the black felt splits the difference in terms of tonality between black foam and 1 notch white?

Because with the white notches, it definitely suits my tastes perfectly with respect to warmth/intimacy/tonality, but dampens/muffles the vocals a tad. And with foam/no filter, it fixes that, but then pushes the vocals back a bit and makes the headphones a bit ‘hollow’ sounding for lack of a better word.

If the black felt keeps the vocals up front but mitigates the dampening of vocals, then that would be like a dream come true for me.

Mar 27, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #1,665 of 2,583
Would it be safe to say that the black felt splits the difference in terms of tonality between black foam and 1 notch white?

Because with the white notches, it definitely suits my tastes perfectly with respect to warmth/intimacy/tonality, but dampens/muffles the vocals a tad. And with foam/no filter, it fixes that, but then pushes the vocals back a bit and makes the headphones a bit ‘hollow’ sounding for lack of a better word.

If the black felt keeps the vocals up front but mitigates the dampening of vocals, then that would be like a dream come true for me.

About right

Users who are viewing this thread

Back