MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Mar 25, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #1,638 of 2,583
You have to buy the alpha pads I think then email them and tell them you want the Aeon pads. Better business decision would be to have them for sale in the store. Only way I knew you could order the pads was emailing them.

Mar 25, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #1,640 of 2,583
IMG_20180325_151233.jpg My new setup.

Mar 25, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #1,644 of 2,583
I have the gilmore lite mk2 and it sounded really nice with the AFO and then I got the massdrop liquid carbon and wow. The pairing sounds amazing. The gilmore sounds neutral but the liquid carbon is pure bliss with the AFO. I'm keeping both

:)

Lyr 3 --> AFO is an ideal pairing.

With no tuning pads, you can crank the volume up without fatigue. Plenty of clarity and punch.

Staging isn't a strength of the AFO, per se, but the Lyr 3 does a fine job on this front. There's plenty of depth and layering to help the music feel realistic/organic, or whatever your audio term of choice may be here.

Guitar and rock has a lot of crunch, which is something the AFO can lack when under-amped.

Vali 2 on steroids.

I had a chance to hear it this weekend and it’s another superb option.

@mrspeakers

Sorry if this was mentioned before - but will the earpads ever be available for sale?

Thank you!

I’m out of the country for a bit but will put pads on the store when I return.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 25, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #1,648 of 2,583
Ok. Do you mean the Gen 5 USB upgrade or something else? I have the Gen 5 board in the mail for me to install.
The Gen V will help a fair amount.

I was referring to something else.

The Bifrost is due for an update. The Yggy just got a bump (analog v.2) and most expect that this will trickle down the line.

Mar 26, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #1,650 of 2,583
As a former (brief) owner of the AFC and recent purchaser of the AF0, I find the difference between the 2 night and day, and not simply based on the obvious closed vs open factor. The open-back version has a simultaneously more refined and impactful sound signature overall. It's almost as if the closed-back version was an experiment that didn't work and the open-back the "back to the drawing board" success. The AFO is a stellar headphone; I dare say I prefer it to the Ether Flow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back