Mr. Speakers Mad Dog 3.0 - 3.2 Amp Pairing Recommendation/Discussion Thread
Oct 6, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #137 of 419
What is the best full tube amp for the Mad Dog 3.2 for under $250?

I have been looking for something like that but if we factor in the supposedly power = better sq "myth" then you will be hard pressed to find a OTL tube amp that can qualify (in that budget range) you will have better luck looking into a hybrid tube amp.

Though if you do find one kindly share it with us. Cheers!

Oct 6, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #138 of 419
Here's the power output for the little dot mk3 :
  1. 350 mW @ 300/600 ohm
  2. 300 mW @ 120 oh
  3. 100 mW @ 32 ohm

Is this insufficient for the mad dogs? (I'm actually confused as to why the power output for this amp decreases with headphone impedance). Does anyone have experience with the little dot mk3 and mad dogs?

Oct 6, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #139 of 419
Here's the power output for the little dot mk3 :
  1. 350 mW @ 300/600 ohm
  2. 300 mW @ 120 oh
  3. 100 mW @ 32 ohm

Is this insufficient for the mad dogs? (I'm actually confused as to why the power output for this amp decreases with headphone impedance). Does anyone have experience with the little dot mk3 and mad dogs?

Based on posts a few pages back, the question is not wether the LD mkIII can drive them or not, because if your iphone can drive them then this should be able to.

The question is if you can get that additional power that supposedly improves the sq on the MDs. Opens up the soundstage, improves bass, etc. etc.

Oct 6, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #140 of 419
Right, and my question is whether the numbers posted above can provide the results that you're talking about "sq, soundstage, improved bass, etc, etc"

Anyone have a quantifiable answer regarding of how much power at 50 ohms is required for the Mad Dogs to achieve the characteristics described above?

Oct 6, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #141 of 419
And if power output at 50ohms isn't the number I should be looking at, can anyone fill inform me of the numbers / specs I should be looking for in an amp in order to attain "synergy" with the Mad Dogs? I've been reading a lot of qualitative posts (almost speculation), but nothing concrete and numerical in terms of the specs required for them to sound their best.

Oct 7, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #142 of 419
I can't answer those questions, but I would think somebody in head-fi is knowledgeable enough to give us a ball-park estimate of how much power is needed minimally to make them sing or "open them up" as some have said. A lot of people do say that how the power is implemented makes quite a big difference, so I can see the logic behind more not always equating better. I, of course, do not understand the science behind implementing said power, so I'm not very useful here.

For now, we may have to rely on strong recommendations of amps from other members until we can get somebody well-versed in the science side of this to chime in and enlighten us.

The Little Dot III output numbers seem to be backwards - the higher the impedance of the headphone, the less power an amp can give them, right?

Oct 7, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #143 of 419
I just sent the payment for an Audio-GD NFB-28 with TXCO upgrades. Hopefully, I am not back later on this forum trying to sell it but praising it. I will be comparing it to my Schiit Magni/Modi stack.

I don't know how long until I receive it.

Oct 7, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #144 of 419
Give us the rundown as soon as you're able - I can't wait to hear what you have to say.

Oct 7, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #145 of 419

I am on a budget of about $100. Is there anything ,that I could find used, better than the fiio e12 in that price range?

If you read through this thread you will see a quote from the website which states you can Drive the MD directly from your iphone. But Mr. Speakers recommend quality amp/dac.

That said, just get any portable amp in your price range and enjoy.

Sorry, A + B does not equal C.

Mad Dog works fine out of laptops and iDevices.

It actually works worse out of some portable amps.  A good example is the Cmoy.  Even the low-imedance-tuned Cmoy sounds worse with the Mad Dogs (and the HifiMans) than no amp at all.

Oct 7, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #146 of 419
  And if power output at 50ohms isn't the number I should be looking at, can anyone fill inform me of the numbers / specs I should be looking for in an amp in order to attain "synergy" with the Mad Dogs? I've been reading a lot of qualitative posts (almost speculation), but nothing concrete and numerical in terms of the specs required for them to sound their best.

In 2013, there are no specs that can tell you whether an amp works well with a pair of headphones.

Maybe in 2063 there will be, but currently you have to listen with ears.

Oct 7, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #147 of 419
  What is the best full tube amp for the Mad Dog 3.2 for under $250?

The expensive part of a full tube amp is the output stage, and anything under $250 produces tiny amounts of power, just the opposite of the needs of planar, and work best with high impedance, also not good for most planars.

Hybrid tube amps were specifically created because of this situation.  Note that Schiit has a full tube OTL Valhalla amp, but then they created the hybrid Lyr amp to have high power into low impedance, for use with planars.

But even the Bellari HA-540 costs $300 and then changing the mediocre included tube costs, say, $40 (and then only if you take some one else's opinion of the "best" tube).

"Tube" and "inexpensive" do not go together in the 21st Century.

Oct 12, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #150 of 419
Purrin used it with the Paradox, another T50RP mod, and said it is a good amp....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back