Mr. Speakers Mad Dog 3.0 - 3.2 Amp Pairing Recommendation/Discussion Thread
Jan 22, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #271 of 419
Tried it with 2 more amps...Didn't like it at all with the Violectric V200 (it felt too closed in), loved it with the Lyr (with Voshkod Rockets). Lyr with those tubes is very fast and it has a ton of power on its side and with the Mad Dogs sound signature, produces a very fun, engaging non-fatiguing listen that doesn't feel closed in at all. Definitely a winner!

Jan 22, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #272 of 419
  DAC is "Digital To Analog Converter"  So if you are playing Digital Files, they have to be converted to Analog in order to be used by a pair of headphones.

Your phone has a DAC, but it is a much more inexpensive one than the one in the E17.

Each part in the chain matters.  If you put $20 tires on a Ferrari, it won't corner any better than a Civic.

By the way, I have not used the E17, so someone with the E17 and Mad Dogs would need to comment on that specific pairing.

That's a good analogy, but what exactly does it do to the quality of the file? It's easy to say it'll be "better" but what are the kinds of differences you can expect in a DAC like the E17 versus say, a Burlson Conductor? Widen the soundstage? Reduce impedance? Brighten highs? Punch up the bass? Are there similarities between amplifiers and DACs as far as how they affect the quality of the audio? differences? Would you say it's more important to have a dedicated amp or DAC?

I'm assuming answers will be different depending on the cans you're hooking up, so obviously I'm asking in the context of using the Mad Dogs!

I'm incredibly new to all this, but also incredibly fascinated. My Mad Dogs are scheduled to arrive tomorrow and I am so very excited. Probably going to put the old sens HD 555s on the shelf for a while!

Jan 23, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #273 of 419
I don't have an audiophile grade answer but from my knowledge a DAC is a Digital to Analog converter. It cleans up the signal, for example bringing it closer to the original sound of a file. The higher grade a DAC is the better it refines this signal and the cleaner it sounds.

The question about if it makes your highs brighter or not etc., yes there are colored DACs and there are neutral DACs. Personally I prefer to have a neutral DAC to get the most original, and precise sound, but that's just me.

Hope this helps!

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #275 of 419
Thanks to all the answers regarding DAC meaning and importance.

Quick question: Has anyone used the ibasso d12 with these?

I think someone in this thread talked about the D12 somwhere, that and the Boa are good choices, but the PB2 has been in the spotlight more, as far as ibasso goes. You should go back and just skim this whole thread. Lot's of good opinions! Again, I have zero first hand experience so if someone else wants to take up this question, please shed some more light on the ibasso's for us!

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #276 of 419
I might get the e17. Is this good enough for the mad dogs? If not any other DAC/Amp combos around the price range?

Also, why is the DAC part so important? Is it really needed?

I have the E17 and the MDs and I'm pretty satisfied with the combination. I still haven't upgraded to something better, so just keep in mind that the MDs do scale up with better equipment. If you are thinking of starting out small now, but intend to upgrade down the road, you may want to consider leap-frogging the E17 for something in the next tier up or beyond. If you're on a budget, I think you'll be pleased with the results. Stick to good recordings whenever possible, too.

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #279 of 419
Well I just emailed Dan through his website asking if the JDS C5 or the Leckerton UHA-4 would be a better portable amp for the Mad Dogs. He said the C5 didn't provide enough power and that he hadn't heard the Lacekrton. Then he suggested I go with the Audioquest Dragonfly if I'm laptop based. Usually I am listening through my laptop, but I'd really like to be able to hook it up to my iPhone 5 (spotify mostly) and my ipod nano.

So now I'm thinking either Dragonfly or the E12.... I would love help!

Jan 30, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #280 of 419
I have the MD 3.2 and find them incredibly smooth, but the treble doesn't seem to have enough authority in my personal preference. I was looking for some neutral amp/dac desktop combos with a slight brightness bias, and came across the Audio GD 11.32 and GrantFidelity TubeDac 11. I hear good things the 11.32's 9018 chip and its incredible resolving power and deep extension into both sides of the FR range. Will this help liven up the treble and highs on my MD's? Has anyone had any experience with these two products and the MD 3.2? I am also open to other suggestions for neutral/bright amp/dacs, but would prefer a better DAC section, as I plan on adding a dedicated amp later on.

Jan 31, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #281 of 419
  Well I just emailed Dan through his website asking if the JDS C5 or the Leckerton UHA-4 would be a better portable amp for the Mad Dogs. He said the C5 didn't provide enough power and that he hadn't heard the Lacekrton. Then he suggested I go with the Audioquest Dragonfly if I'm laptop based. Usually I am listening through my laptop, but I'd really like to be able to hook it up to my iPhone 5 (spotify mostly) and my ipod nano.

So now I'm thinking either Dragonfly or the E12.... I would love help!

Hi Dreaming,I currently own the MDs with the Fiio E12 Mont Blanc. The amp certainly gives the MDs a warm sound and closes off the soundstage a bit, but really it depends on your price-point and what you're using it for. If you're taking these with you on-the-go like I do, then you're probably going to want to look at the E12.  I quite enjoy it, and the E12 still has enough power to push the cans at high listening volumes. From what I hear, you'll be hard-pressed to find an amp that can do that for about $130 which pairs well with the Mad Dogs.
Otherwise, I'm not sure I can help you. I haven't listened to many amps, so I don't have any suggestions, really. My best advice would be to look through this thread assuming you haven't already (I just got here
tongue.gif
), and see if you can possibly audition the E12 somewhere.
Hope this helped!
-Spy

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #283 of 419
  Thanks for the input Spy! My E12 is on the way. Potability is something I'm looking for, so I decided to go that way.

Hey, glad I could help!
Yeah, if portability is a big thing to you, then the E12 is a fantastic choice. Like I said, that's my current setup, and I really like it. I don't know what player you use, but little tweaks can be done with a parametric EQ if that's a possibility.
Let me know how you like the E12 when it gets to you!

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #284 of 419
I'm using a 7th gen ipod nano, which I really want to replace with a classic because I've heard good things about the Wolfson DAC it comes with + music storage, but I'd really love to get a device that supports FLAC files, so we'll just have to wait and see what my research uncovers. Then my iphone 5 and the ol' mac book '08 aluminum (first non-'pro' aluminum).

My wish list is something along the lines of: iPod Classic-->ibasso DB2-->ibasso PB2-->Alpha Dogs. But I really can't justify dropping ~$1200 on audio in my last semester of college while I'm staring loan debt in the face... Anyone want to hire a communication major/english minor, with an audio/music obsession, (preferably somewhere in Brooklyn, NY, but I'm not that picky... ;-] )

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #285 of 419
Hey everyone,

I asked this in another Mad Dog thread but I will ask here as well for more clarification. I currently have the Fiio E11, how does it respond to the Mad Dogs? I will be using a receiver with my record player but for portable use, does the E11 do it's job well enough until I upgrade in the future?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Silent. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back