Mr. Speakers Mad Dog 3.0 - 3.2 Amp Pairing Recommendation/Discussion Thread
Dec 31, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #256 of 419
   I'm ready to pull the trigger on : Schiit Asgard 2, iBasso D12 Anaconda, FiiO E12, FiiO E09k...????
If any of you could help narrow all that down it would be greatly appreciated. I'm leaning towards neautral ss.  

Those are different products that do different things.  Some are portable, some are not.  Some has DACs, some have not.

The Asgard 2 is probably a level up from the other products, simply because it is a desktop amp, and it does not have a DAC (so the cost is going entirely to the amplifier section).

Jan 1, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #257 of 419
Im aware, I would prefer a DAC/AMP combo, non portable or portable around the 300 dollar range. I already own the E17.. and im thinking about pairing it with the E09k, instead of the E12 standing alone... or the E12 with the E17 combo.. Also I dont know much about the dac/amp Ibasso d12 ana. ..warm/cold/neutral?? Im leaning towards the Asgard 2 but not sure what dac to pair it with. Any help would be greatly appreciated :) 

Jan 1, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #258 of 419
The Schiit Modi DAC for $99 is considered equal or better to most of those portable DAC sections.

If the Modi + Asgard 2 is a little over your budget, then consider the Modi DAC and matching Magni Amp.

You can get any of these direct from schiit.com

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #260 of 419
Say, as someone who is likely about to buy the Mad Dogs (unless I go with the M100 or Spirit Pros), I need a really good portable amp on the cheap.  I'm pretty sure I don't have to worry about a DAC, since I'm mainly using my iPod Classic, and I've heard MANY good things about the Wolfson DAC in the 160 GB model.  However, I don't exactly have the money to justify the more expensive FiiO offerings.  Does anyone have any recommendations?

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #261 of 419
  Say, as someone who is likely about to buy the Mad Dogs (unless I go with the M100 or Spirit Pros), I need a really good portable amp on the cheap.  I'm pretty sure I don't have to worry about a DAC, since I'm mainly using my iPod Classic, and I've heard MANY good things about the Wolfson DAC in the 160 GB model.  However, I don't exactly have the money to justify the more expensive FiiO offerings.  Does anyone have any recommendations?

What is your budget?

Jan 14, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #264 of 419
To the OP, I am not very knowledgable about audiophile equipment but I think I may have lucked out in my choices.  I listen mainly through my laptop.  From the laptop, using USB, I connect to an FiiO e17 and from the E17 line out, I connect to a Woo Audio WA6 tube amp.  I have been listening through Senn HD600 and love the sound.  Mad Dog Universal head phones are in my future using their single ended cable.

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #265 of 419
I continue to be impressed by the Magni. I discovered firsthand how veiled and boring the Mad Dogs sound when not properly amped, then I went back. Magni really manages their bass extremely well, keeps it fun and punchy and, most importantly, away from the midrange. A tad bright on the vocals and all, but better than the recessed mids of a poorly amped Doggy.

For $300 (used MD, since everyone is selling them, and new Magni), it's hard to top that pairing.

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #268 of 419
I might get the e17. Is this good enough for the mad dogs? If not any other DAC/Amp combos around the price range?

Also, why is the DAC part so important? Is it really needed?

DAC is "Digital To Analog Converter"  So if you are playing Digital Files, they have to be converted to Analog in order to be used by a pair of headphones.

Your phone has a DAC, but it is a much more inexpensive one than the one in the E17.

Each part in the chain matters.  If you put $20 tires on a Ferrari, it won't corner any better than a Civic.

By the way, I have not used the E17, so someone with the E17 and Mad Dogs would need to comment on that specific pairing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back