Most underrated and overrated headphone? For a bit of fun :)
Oct 16, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #256 of 589
I don't know, I don't see them get talk awhole lot anymore or get recommended.

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #258 of 589
All I can say is that the Audio Technica ATH-ES10 headphones are criminally underrated as portable cans that sound full-sized. I don't know if it is an availability issue but people are missing out big time. 

Oct 17, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #261 of 589
Not easy to get especially in the USA. Also price too for portable

Nov 10, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #262 of 589
I'll comment on pricing, not rating; maybe it's easier to agree about that.

Over-priced: any headphone over $999, most Sennheisers, anyone's modded Fostex over $300, most Hifiman given their build

Under-priced: many Kosses, Fostex RP series (so far)

Nov 10, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #263 of 589
  I'll comment on pricing, not rating; maybe it's easier to agree about that.

Over-priced: any headphone over $999, most Sennheisers, anyone's modded Fostex over $300, most Hifiman given their build

Under-priced: many Kosses, Fostex RP series (so far)

I think you've probably managed to tick off almost every Head-Fi cubculture right there. I do agree that most low-end Senns don't live up to their price point, but I'd go to battle over the modded Fostex issue. I don't have enough hands-on experience with Hifiman to give judgement either way.

Koss seems to be a forgotten and underappreciated headphone brand a lot of the time. The DJ100 is a pretty neat can, the Portapro is a classic, and the ESP950 is still a very capable (if outdated) electrostat. I'll have to contradict your point about stock Fostex offerings, though, as I find the RP series lacking from the factory.

It just goes to show how subjective our hobby is.

Nov 11, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #264 of 589
  I think you've probably managed to tick off almost every Head-Fi subculture right there.

[...] I'd go to battle over the modded Fostex issue. [...] I'll have to contradict your point about stock Fostex offerings, though, as I find the RP series lacking from the factory.

I didn't intend to offend anyone: we're all friends here. Simply because something's overpriced doesn't mean that I won't buy it if I want it enough, only I know I'm being ripped off and I can't fool myself.

I think the RP series are decent enough from the factory, and worth every penny of their street prices. Their potential is great -- as we see from some commercial mods which range from competent to expert. But those mods, no matter how good, are certainly over-priced if the cost is more than $300. My opinion: buy it if you really want it, but know what you're being sold and what it should cost.

Nov 11, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #265 of 589
I built a highly modded T50RP. For about $140 invested total its an amazing phone. I managed to snag some He-400s for a good price and I adore them as well. I would say that at $300 the HE-400 are a noticeable step up. But if you pay retail, then yes I would say they are over priced. 

Nov 11, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #266 of 589
I find the AKG K612 Pro quite underrated. Although technically it's more overlooked than anything. It's extremely neutral and linear and has good detail, depth, soundstage, imaging, transparency, and refinement. It's more linear and neutral than the HD 600 and DT 880 to my ears while being in the same tier in terms of sound quality.

Nov 11, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #268 of 589
This is all based on headphones/IEMs I have heard in the past either by demoing or owning a set:

Overrated

Heir Audio IEMs (4.Ai specifically) -  boy oh boy this is actually the first IEM set of over $200 that have dissapointed me so badly. The reviews were positive in the web but it was just not my cup of tea. The highs were tiring and piercing.

V-Moda M100 - For me the bass was loose, but it doesn't stop making it one of the fun headphones. At the price point, I would find other alternatives.

Aiaiai Headphones - I actually anticipated these but found wanting after hearing their lines due to the overbearing bass.

Audeze LCD-2 - The uncomfortableness really puts me off. Haven't heard it paired with a high end amplifiers.

Underrated 

Sony MA900 -  I thought at first sight that these were only about $100 hp until I've heard the sound. Asked the shop owner to find out the price and for me it is justified by the sound.

1964 Ears IEMs - Really lack of appreciation for these IEMs, to me they sound really good and punch above their pricepoint.

Apex Glacier - Sleek with great forward sound, if paired incorrectly it can cause piercing treble but with the correct pairing it is simply amazing.

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro - Simply high class for around $200

Just Right

HE-400 - At first it was heavily overrated here but up to now for the price range, it does really well of keeping its place in the recommended headphone under $500. The only mainstay headphone so far in my inventory. The bass evens out the sparkly treble for me, very fun sounding.

Sennheiser HD 25-ii - Old school but does music just right. Really good for rock music.

HE-500 - Probably one of the headphone that might dethrone my HE-400. The sound was just smooth and effortless.

Nov 11, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #270 of 589
Ok, this looks like a fun thread, gonna chime in with my 2c:

OVERRATED:

In Head-Fi:
- Sennheiser HD800. Yes, it's a fantastic headphone but probably the worst sounding and the most amp-picky of anything even close to its price. It's very sibilant and analytical sounding for such a pricey headphone. Requires a great Eddie Current amp or the like in order to sound fantastic. So as not to make this about being over-priced rather than overrated, I'll say that I see tons of these at head-fi meets  but don't usually spend too much time at those tables.

In the general public:
Anything by Beats! Enough said.

UNDERRATED:

- The HE-Audio Jade. I guess every pair sounds a little different but the ones I've heard rival the HE90 for best can in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back