Most underrated and overrated headphone? For a bit of fun :)
Nov 11, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #271 of 589
  Ok, this looks like a fun thread, gonna chime in with my 2c:

OVERRATED:

In Head-Fi:
- Sennheiser HD800. Yes, it's a fantastic headphone but probably the worst sounding and the most amp-picky of anything even close to its price. It's very sibilant and analytical sounding for such a pricey headphone. Requires a great Eddie Current amp or the like in order to sound fantastic. So as not to make this about being over-priced rather than overrated, I'll say that I see tons of these at head-fi meets  but don't usually spend too much time at those tables.

In the general public:
Anything by Beats! Enough said.

UNDERRATED:

- The HE-Audio Jade. I guess every pair sounds a little different but the ones I've heard rival the HE90 for best can in the world.

I have to agree with the Sennheiser HD 800; every time I heard it, I thought it was harsh, lifeless, and sibilant even when on a warm tube amp(though it did help). I don't consider it neutral or natural, it's too bright and has a recess in the midrange and in the end you have to tailor the system to it and mod it to make it more neutral. A neutral headphone shouldn't sound bright and lacking in warmth on a neutral system like the HD 800 does. It seems to be one of the most popular TOTL headphones here other than the LCD-2. I found it a disappointing deviation from the sound signature of the previous Sennheiser top of the line products. It isn't like the HD 6x0 at all, but rather more like a glorified K701 with a Senn flair to it. It was the most disappointing uber headphone I have heard, I'm sure it will sound great on the right system, but the fact you have to tailor your system like that so much to the headphone ruins it's value to me.

Nov 11, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #272 of 589
Kinda surprised of how some perceived the HD800 as overrated. It is my current dream cans, but each to their own.

Well anyway, my opinion is:

Underrated: DT770 Pro

Overrated: HD598 - costs more than the DT770 Pro, which to my ears is the better cans.

Nov 11, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #273 of 589
How is the DT770 underrated?

I feel a lack of recommendation for this product as a starter headphone. Especially their price often drops under $200.

Nov 11, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #275 of 589
Must have missed it then, many people I see recommends the V-Modas, M50s, 840 much more than the DT 770.

Nov 11, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #277 of 589
Nov 12, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #279 of 589
A hardcore audiophile doesn't care of such things :)

EVERY1 READ PLS: http://www.head-fi.org/t/684613/most-underrated-and-overrated-headphone-for-a-bit-of-fun/270#post_9971357

Nov 12, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #281 of 589
What percentage of audiophiles are hardcore audiophiles?

Let me see the statistics....
Lol, I suppose anyone who doesn't care what people think.)

I wish to use my 5.1 gaming headset with android (yes, for mobile phone too), as an example :D

Nov 12, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #282 of 589
Underrated:

HD600. It's popular but it really is one of the best headphones right now. People who don't like the 800 could easily step back to the 600 and see how magnificent it is.

Overrated:

LCD-2. It's fantastic but there is sort of a lore surrounding it by people who've never heard it before.. It's good, not perfect.

Headphone I'm happy people enjoy:

ATH AD700 and A700

Seriously awesome headphone and I'm glad it still gets recommended frequently!

Nov 12, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #283 of 589
  Because these are mobile headphones. The DT770 are wayy too big to carry around.

I think so, the demographics for the ones starting to invest in headphones are young I presume.

Nov 12, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #285 of 589
Funny that censored and erased comments still count towards the total number of posted comments and also when you post two comments in succession they will count as one comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back