Most underrated and overrated headphone? For a bit of fun :)
Nov 13, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #286 of 589
I think I have found the new most underrated headphone... The SR60i... It's overshadowed by the SR80i
frown.gif
but I think they sound excellent for the price!

+1...like them better than any other low end Grados -- definitely a solid value!

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #287 of 589
Disagree.
Before speeking of the most underrated stereo headphone, let's suppose there is a technology which is totally not VALUED.
You do know that there was a time, when mono was thrown out of the market by stereo?
I can prove 5.1 headphones WILL JUST BLOW any STEREO! I can also be wrong, we shall see.

I suppose the revolution is just_to_begin and our particular forum is where the progress will begin! I'm asking ALL OF YOU to have the courage and face it!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/689580/attention-5-1-audiophile-future-headphone-5-1-headphones-underrated-overview-review-request-cyber-snipa-sonar-5-1-gaming-headset

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #288 of 589
  Disagree.
Before speeking of the most underrated stereo headphone, let's suppose there is a technology which is totally not VALUED.
You do know that there was a time, when mono was thrown out of the market by stereo?
I can prove 5.1 headphones WILL JUST BLOW any STEREO! I can also be wrong, we shall see.

I suppose the revolution is just_to_begin and our particular forum is where the progress will begin! I'm asking ALL OF YOU to have the courage and face it!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/689580/attention-5-1-audiophile-future-headphone-5-1-headphones-underrated-overview-review-request-cyber-snipa-sonar-5-1-gaming-headset

There have been hundreds of discussions here on Head-Fi about why multi-speaker headphone technology (especially gimmicky x.1 stuff) is generally inferior to two-driver systems. Since all the drivers are so close and contained within a single earcup, the sound waves just bounce off each other and get muddled. It's by no means an ignored technology; it's just been proven thus far to be unusable for critical listening.

This discussion happens every time a gaming headset is mentioned by a Junior Head-Fi'er; as much as we all wish that 5.1 headphones will change the industry forever and bring a new era of headphone reproduction, they simply won't. They have horrible, irresolvable design issues.

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #289 of 589
  There have been hundreds of discussions here on Head-Fi about why multi-speaker headphone technology (especially gimmicky x.1 stuff) is generally inferior to two-driver systems. Since all the drivers are so close and contained within a single earcup, the sound waves just bounce off each other and get muddled. It's by no means an ignored technology; it's just been proven thus far to be unusable for critical listening.

This discussion happens every time a gaming headset is mentioned by a Junior Head-Fi'er; as much as we all wish that 5.1 headphones will change the industry forever and bring a new era of headphone reproduction, they simply won't. They have horrible, irresolvable design issues.

Huge thanks for that reply, Sir!
1. I can't believe by word something non-related to certain persons "tastes". And yes, I just ignore tastes. The product either has a overview summary either it has not.
2. I heard your opinion, but had no constructive opposition. Gimme links, overviews, comparisons, something to argue with!
3. Regarding "bouncing and muddling" - the muddling is a possible issue only if we have frequency response TESTED IN-DEPTH. Without that I ignore that opinion, because the wave may only bounce several times and I hope you, sir, are well-informed regarding the speed of sound.
4. The drivers may be bigger or smaller, the "case" tells me nothing but words, I am sorry, but I have nothing to argue with.
5. If it was proven and is a frequently asked question, gimme link which will show me a TRUE SCIENTIFIC comparison between price/sound_quality equal (or even stereo more pricey) headphones and I will either tell you where we have a scientific error or a matter of tastes was involved. WIthout in-depth analysis, the whole muddling thing is only a taste.
6. Again, you speak all of them are horrible. All, means any of them. Any certain info regarding in-depth scientific review of Cyber Snipa Sonar? Mine is the first try, I suppose, give it a shot, read it.

Sorry for clearing out points... I wanted to offense you by no means.

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #290 of 589
Excuse me, Sir, I forgot to mention 1 point:
An enthusiast audiophile + hardcore thinking (sound quality the most valuable, the others may be ignored if they can be FIXED by modding).

If you're the one voted thumbs down the Poll, I can bet you didn't read all my job done. Sad thing :frowning2:

Nov 14, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #291 of 589
  Disagree.
I can prove 5.1 headphones WILL JUST BLOW any STEREO! I can also be wrong, we shall see.

You gave us what is called a sweeping statement, so general-wide in its meaning and so diffuse in targeting that it is meaningless. 
5.1 headphones - do you mean one, or some, or all of them ?
any STEREO - do you mean any stereo equipment or any stereo headphones ?
Do you intentionally want to mix the separate aspects of differing types of headphones and judge apples against oranges ? For the illustration, let us consider the aspect of wearability around one's neck of particular headphones and then judging their quality on this aspect. Let us compare, in this way, the Beats Solo and  Stax SR009, these Stax headphones are widely recognized as the overall best headphones in production. It is easier to carry, as a silly fashion statement, the Beats Solo around one's neck than it is to carry Stax SR009. By your logic the Beats Solos are better headphones than Stax SR009 because of this ease of wearing them around one's neck and never mind the audio quality of the Stax headphones. 
You argue that because some headphones have a peculiar feature that enables them to give an impression of sound seemingly circling around one's head that this feature renders irrelevant the quality of sound presented by other, non 5.1 surround sound, headphones. If the ability to present 5.1 surround sound is the most important aspect of the perceived headphone quality, then it is your viewpoint or dubious conviction. The others would say that what matters the most in any headphones is the quality of sound that comes out of them. Having the surround sound feature does not make particular headphones automatically across the board better.
Let's be charitable and say that you confused and compared the apples of the spacial presentation of sound with the oranges of the quality of sound.

Nov 14, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #292 of 589
Calm down, sir. If you would read my thread, there would be no questions.

First of all i'm not a native english speaker, so keep off with such quarrels.

I mean true 5.1 headphones which can be adjusted(equilazer+volume) driver_by_driver - as the case of Cyber snipa sonar (i CANNOT find an analog to these!!)

Any stereo - meaning any stereo headphones.

You are wrong. My means are to clarify that more sound quality than high-end stereo headphones is achievable now (in context of 5.1 written music - 5.1 FLAC), I can also feel the quality difference when switching from stereo to true 5.1.
I can prove 6 32 Ohm drivers + 2 8 Ohm subwoofers (customizable as these headset one's) will beat the **** out of any given stereo headset. I may risk telling that even 64/80 Ohm ones, but I provoke you. 
I also sadly know more in-depth analisys data regarding sound science than, I suppose, any of you :frowning2:(

Never judge until you clarify misunderstanding.

Thank you for the reply.

Nov 14, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #293 of 589
MygpuK, can you tell me about any traditional two-channel headphone systems you've tested your supposed world-beating gaming headset against? So far you've only made broad statements; you haven't made any direct comparison to specific headphone systems.

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #294 of 589
  MygpuK, can you tell me about any traditional two-channel headphone systems you've tested your supposed world-beating gaming headset against? So far you've only made broad statements; you haven't made any direct comparison to specific headphone systems.

I understand why you have that opinion, sir.
Just have a look at my thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/690441/the-need-of-in-depth-sound-science-objectiveness-intro-to-the-sound-science-wall-of-text-thread
P.S.: I'm an lustful engineer by profession.

Nov 15, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #295 of 589
Nov 15, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #296 of 589
Thanks, but i've already got "personalaudio.ru".

The point is, noone will buy&test a product just because i've asked them. I also highly doubt some1 will wish to in-depth analise my product without any trust in my opinion.

Nov 15, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #297 of 589
Hi MygpuK,

We've heard you out. I don't know if you're right or not: I haven't tried the product at a meet yet. I'd like to get back to topic of this thread.

Nov 15, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #298 of 589
  Hi MygpuK,

We've heard you out. I don't know if you're right or not: I haven't tried the product at a meet yet. I'd like to get back to topic of this thread.

Thank you a lot for such response!
I'm very sad I neither am able to be at your meetings, guys, nor it is possible anyone of the other head-fiers to use real 5.1 headsets. There are very few brands of true 5.1/7.1: High-end brands for these are only: Roccat Kave, Ozone, Madcatz. Mine is a "copy" of Ozone.

I still invite any of you to visit my Sound Science thread "Mythbusting". The link can be found in my signature under each of mine posts.

Best of luck,
Max.

Nov 15, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #299 of 589
Totally agree. The Denon D600 is one of my favorite headphones that doesn't get much love here at head-fi.org. 

Some other underrated headphones:

Ultrasone Pro 750 (everyone loves the Pro 900, yet most agree the Pro 750 has the more balanced sound.) I have the 750 and really enjoy them.

Shure SRH-940/SRH-1840 - these got a lot of attention 18 months/2 years ago and then dropped off the radar. Two outstanding headphones - balanced, great sounding, but basically ignored.

Bose AE-2 - Super light weight, probably one of the most comfortable headphones available, with a very pleasant sound un-amped with MP3 players and smartphones. Seems some folks have a visceral negative opinion of anything labeled Bose, but these are nice headphones.

And last (ducks for cover from the stone throwing):

Sony MDR X-10 - Got these as a Christmas present last year. Super comfortable for an on-ear design, punchy bass with surprisingly good mid-range and treble for a bass tuned set of headphones. Yes, you see these everywhere in Target, WalMart, and Best Buy mixed in with the Beats, Sol Republics, Soul and other celebrity headphones. But they're not the joke folks make them out to be. A very fun set of cans to use straight with your iPod that sound really good, particularly with Pop, Rock and dance tracks.

This is my first post here on head-fi (even though I've been here for 2 years now) but anyways, I totally agree with the statement you made about the X10s, they are lots of fun! The only one thing I absolutely hate about them is the very loose clamping and the very, very, very plasticky feeling I get from them. They are so plasticky that even when I put tem on they creak...

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #300 of 589
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130130174041AAIxN2g

People need to calm down about the m50s they're pretty good they do NOT beat out cans 100s of dollars more than them anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back