Most underrated and overrated headphone? For a bit of fun :)
Mar 16, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #361 of 589
's cool if I put more than one headphones in both right? Please note that this only applies to the Head-Fi community

Most overrated headphones:
-> Sennheiser HD600/650 (the second recommended candidate right after M50 to any newcomer/starter)
-> V-Moda M-100 (poor price to performance ratio relatively)
-> Monster Turbine series (honestly for the price you pay for them you can get better)
-> Every wood audio-technica (self-explanatory; some people like to pay premium more than the non-wood version/model just to damage the environment)
-> and lastly the ATH-M50 (it's like nothing else is better for a newbie to get as their first headphone)

Most underrated headphones:
-> Klipsch Image X7i (ceramic housing, excellent isolation, and very balanced and neutral. Too bad nobody cares about it here)
-> Every Phillips circumaural headphone (they're worth every penny. Until you get told by 10 people to just get the M50s...)
-> Every Victor branded (Japan exclusive) high end flagship headphones i.e. Kenwood KH-1000 (regional availability is no excuse!)
-> Red Giant dynamic IEMs (technically superior drivers, great accessories and low profit margin)

my honest opinions.

Agree with you on that one. JVC as a company is severely underrated IMO.

But, I don't agree with you on the HD6x0 being overrated. Honestly they perform excellent for mid-fi cans, and they've been around for decades now. The Sennheiser sound is not for everyone, but it is really enjoyable for many out there.

Mar 16, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #362 of 589
Agreed on both points. TBH I think the HD650s are almost underrated from the audiophile perspective. I'd rather have those than any >$1000 pair I've tried.

Mar 16, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #363 of 589
Given the current tone of the thread, sure I'll paint with broader than usual strokes too: it's all meant in good fun. Over-rated doesn't necessarily mean bad (though all the under-rated ones are also good).

Over-rated: every flagship except e-stats, precious ATs, B&W, MrSpeakers, anything Jude! starts a thread on, Tyll's latest favorite closed over ear

Under-rated: SR60i/80i, HD6x0, many vintage AKGs, Tyll's former favorite closed over ear

Mar 16, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #364 of 589
Overrated: HE400, HE500. Are they good? YES. But a large part of their reputation is from the psychological effect from this mystique to them because of their planar magnetic drivers. But in terms of imaging and just sounding better. I think Senn HD600/650 are better. 

Mar 17, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #365 of 589
  Overrated: HE400, HE500. Are they good? YES. But a large part of their reputation is from the psychological effect from this mystique to them because of their planar magnetic drivers. But in terms of imaging and just sounding better. I think Senn HD600/650 are better. 

m100, m50 are way more over-priced/ overrated/ over-hyped than he500/400. such average products. at least he400/500 technically superior/ refined.. and hd650 is way over-priced for its cheap build quality. and xb500 is like a portable subwoofer on your ears. lol 

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #366 of 589
IMO the most overrated cans are the AKG K701 and the M50's. Even though I did appreciate the soundstage and clarity of the AKG's, I felt a huge part of the music was missing due to the thin sound and lack of bass. For me, the HD600 and Dt880 do everything better apart from the instrument separation and soundstage. This may also be a synergy problem as I paired them with an E17 before owning the Aune T1. M50's otoh, have really disappointed me. The treble was very harsh (I got the white boxed version) and discomfort was also a problem for me. They were my first cans and I liked them a lot at the time, but as soon as I got new headphones (specifically the HA S500), I realized how mediocre the m50's sounded for their price.

Underrated:
Sony MDR ma900, though they're getting some love now.
Beyerdynamic dt440: a friend of mine owns them and the sound surprised me tbh

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #367 of 589
From my perspective there is a line of headphones that seems to fit both categories under and over rated - the German Maestro GMP's.
I noticed they don't have a huge following here and usually the people that like them tend to be quite loyal to the brand.
I only auditioned only one model, the GMP400, and found the sound quite good and the presentation very interesting and very different to the usual suspects in their range.
In that respect they are a bit underrated.

I was prepared to give them a try and actual purchase a set.
But here's the rub, from just listening to them, I wouldn't have guessed their actual price tag. It's was very difficult to find enough appeal to them to warrant the premium price they demand.
And in that respect they're also a bit overrated.

Probably at a more competitive price and a more contemporary look (they seem stuck in the 80's) they could pick up a more solid fan base.

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #368 of 589
TBH I don't think it's possible for a set to be more overrated (on here) than the Mikros 90. I haven't even heard them but for a pair of $300 headphones marked down to $60 you'd think they're the greatest product to grace the audio world from the way that threat goes bananas over them. I've never heard of people stockpiling a single kind of headphone before. 

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #369 of 589
As an inveterate AKG K501 fan, I actually took an immediate liking to these mikros 90. For the sound quality and workmanship they offer I gladly payed the 90$, they cost at that time.
Until you mentioned it now I didn't think they were that popular around here ... until I found the mega-thread dedicated to them.
I haven't bothered to read to much into it, but caught some snippets of their high praising and to be honest, they seem to be talking about a different headphone.

Don't get me wrong, I love the way they sound, the stylish looks and the extremely nice build quality, but that much attention is not healthy, especially when people wax lyrical for the wrong reasons sometimes.

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #370 of 589
Overrated : Most of the cheaper Beyerdynamics (dt770,880,990), I really don't like the soundsig, also they didn't fit my head very good.

Underrated : I guess the AKG k550. Amazing phone for the price. I can't come up with anything negative with it except removable cables.

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #372 of 589
The K550 gets enough love here IMO not underrated though some find the upper mid spike to be unpleasant

Ah nice to hear they get some love :) I haven't read that many nice comments about them. But I guess i'm not an hardcore head-fier ^^
I like them since they are so easy to listen too.

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #373 of 589
It have got a ( used to ) active appriciation thread and then being featured in Head-Fi buying guide xD the K545 fixes all the bugs and makes it a near perfect headphone for $300 if it retains the sound + warm. Reviews claims it to do so so yeap, a success :D never get to try it...yet. Though hehe

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #374 of 589
Most overrated: HE-400. 
To me the HE-400 didn't have the bass audiophile claimed it have and the sound was not worth $400. The new $299 price makes more sense but to me it's a $250 headphone. It's still a good headphone, but it's not $400 good.... (IMO).

Most underrated: Yamaha Pro 500
Imo it's better than the M100 when it comes to sound quality. The beats wannabe look doomed it from the start, and I find this funny because most audiophile prefer sound over looks. I guess the Pro 500 is the exception. 

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #375 of 589
  Most overrated: HE-400. 
To me the HE-400 didn't have the bass audiophile claimed it have and the sound was not worth $400. The new $299 price makes more sense but to me it's a $250 headphone.

Absolutely no open-back phones have the bass people seem to say they do. Some have more bass than others, but to hear people talk the LCD's are bass monsters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back