Most underrated and overrated headphone? For a bit of fun :)
Mar 16, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #346 of 589
  The Mad Dog won't do you any good unamped either. They are orthodynamic headphones and have a low sensitivity rating which means they are harder to drive. Impedance can be low but hard to drive if the db/mw rating is low. 

Cheaper amping like a $250 dollar Audio Gd or similar is far and away better than nothing. Even a cheaper combo unit like that can show you a degree of what top headphones can do unlike being totally unamped. Not that they cannot improve further or anything though.

Best to try some cheaper amps out like the Magni + Modi or similar with your Mad Dog's and HE300 and see the difference from unamped.

Good luck in your endeavors with the HE300 

Thanks a lot, I got a Fiio E11 at the moment, a very cheap portable amp.. Don't think that will do the job, would it?
I just took a look and the Magni and Modi, but I can't see them being sold anywhere I live (The Netherlands, which is in Europe).
Also, I'm not sure if these are portable amps or not, but for the Mad dog I'd prefer a portable one, since that one will be for 'On the go'.
And what you're saying is I should also pay attention to the db/mw rating? Stuff like '93 dB @ 1KHZ, 1mW'?
I'm pretty new to this great world of headphones, so it'd be great if you could explain it a bit!

PS: I'm very sorry for derailing this thread.

Mar 16, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #348 of 589

Thanks a lot, I got a Fiio E11 at the moment, a very cheap portable amp.. Don't think that will do the job, would it?
I just took a look and the Magni and Modi, but I can't see them being sold anywhere I live (The Netherlands, which is in Europe).
Also, I'm not sure if these are portable amps or not, but for the Mad dog I'd prefer a portable one, since that one will be for 'On the go'.
And what you're saying is I should also pay attention to the db/mw rating? Stuff like '93 dB @ 1KHZ, 1mW'?
I'm pretty new to this great world of headphones, so it'd be great if you could explain it a bit!

PS: I'm very sorry for derailing this thread.

The Modi you should be able to get since it's a DAC, which doesn't have any difference on country. For an amp, you could go a more powerful portable route with something like a Fiio E12, the Tralucent T1, or the JDSLabs C5. Personally from owning their previous C421 and loving it, I would go for the C5 (or C5D if you want the DAC too)

Mar 16, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #349 of 589
Please let me know how they sound cause that would be the only grip I have with the 400's is the lack of bass but they are very reference so it just seems like it lacks bass where infact it's just rite. After using this phone for a few days when I now go back to pretty much any other phone I have makes them sound really muddiesh in comparison. Like the er4p's I have. Yes they ain't as clear as the s version I know ,, but after putting them on after the 400's I was like ,,ewww no!! Lol IMO they are very uncoloured ! I really don't understand why they don't get more love on this site. Isn't that what most audiophiles strive for.. Neutral , unclored sound ,, and this is just my opinion :) happy listening

Of course I will :). Even though I do appreciate neutral sounding headphones, I still prefer bassy ones. And yes, I am a basshead.,since I listen to a really wide variety of genres I need something to satisfy my bass needs and another to be flat. That's why I have the dt880's as a neutral can and the Q40's as basshead.

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #350 of 589
Not overrated or underrated but under exposed or maybe hidden treasure

JVC MX-10 (own) great neutral sound sig with a screamin good timbre and resolution
Beyerdynamic DT235(auditioned)  Great fun little beater phone that honestly wipes the floor with anything under $150
Sony SA1000/3000/5000 (haven't heard these myself) They get glowing reviews and have a small following on head fi that just seems over looked
Kenwood KH-K1000 (haven't heard it) Same story a thread with just positivly glowing reviews that just seems under looked. I mean come on i read it being like a poor mans JVC DX1000 for the love of all things!
Ultrasone HFI-2200(havent heard) Im just throwing this one out there because i find brown to be sexy as all hell and fur such an odd looking headphone not much is writen about it

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #351 of 589
  Not overrated or underrated but under exposed or maybe hidden treasure

JVC MX-10 (own) great neutral sound sig with a screamin good timbre and resolution
Beyerdynamic DT235(auditioned)  Great fun little beater phone that honestly wipes the floor with anything under $150
Sony SA1000/3000/5000 (haven't heard these myself) They get glowing reviews and have a small following on head fi that just seems over looked
Kenwood KH-K1000 (haven't heard it) Same story a thread with just positivly glowing reviews that just seems under looked. I mean come on i read it being like a poor mans JVC DX1000 for the love of all things!
Ultrasone HFI-2200(havent heard) Im just throwing this one out there because i find brown to be sexy as all hell and fur such an odd looking headphone not much is writen about it

No offense but I doubt the DT235 beats a pair of DT990 Pro (145usd).

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #352 of 589

You will burn in hell for uttering such blasphemy. 
wink.gif

Seriously, don't do it again.
mad.gif

I'm not saying that I hate the sr60i but you can get the Philips shp5401 which gives you almost the same sound signature and more airy soundstage, yet they leak less sound, for less money. 

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #353 of 589

No offense but I doubt the DT235 beats a pair of DT990 Pro (145usd).

none taken i haven't had the opportunity to listen to the DT990s myself 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #354 of 589
  I'm not saying that I hate the sr60i but you can get the Philips shp5401 which gives you almost the same sound signature and more airy soundstage, yet they leak less sound, for less money. 

I've heard these and they don't come close to the sr60i, in fact even iGrados sound better, and the iGrados are the only grados I disliked.

none taken i haven't had the opportunity to listen to the DT990s myself 
smily_headphones1.gif

For 50 bucks though I'm sure the 235s are quite nice.

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #355 of 589

Perhaps, but you have to look at the Grado in a historical perspective.  The SR60 has been around for decades, for around the same price, without compromising quality.    This model has been the first good headphone for many on this site -- the SR60 was the first headphone I picked up after joining Head-fi.

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #356 of 589
's cool if I put more than one headphones in both right? Please note that this only applies to the Head-Fi community

Most overrated headphones:
-> Sennheiser HD600/650 (the second recommended candidate right after M50 to any newcomer/starter)
-> V-Moda M-100 (poor price to performance ratio relatively)
-> Monster Turbine series (honestly for the price you pay for them you can get better)
-> Every wood audio-technica (self-explanatory; some people like to pay premium more than the non-wood version/model just to damage the environment)
-> and lastly the ATH-M50 (it's like nothing else is better for a newbie to get as their first headphone)

Most underrated headphones:
-> Klipsch Image X7i (ceramic housing, excellent isolation, and very balanced and neutral. Too bad nobody cares about it here)
-> Every Phillips circumaural headphone (they're worth every penny. Until you get told by 10 people to just get the M50s...)
-> Every Victor branded (Japan exclusive) high end flagship headphones i.e. Kenwood KH-1000 (regional availability is no excuse!)
-> Red Giant dynamic IEMs (technically superior drivers, great accessories and low profit margin)

my honest opinions.

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #357 of 589
ITT: people say a given headphone is overrated and owners of that headphone get mad. 

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #358 of 589
  ITT: people say a given headphone is overrated and owners of that headphone get mad. 

LOL

People say Beats and Monster are overrated and YOU get mad. 

Great irony...and great fun!!!!

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #359 of 589

LOL

biggrin.gif

Cool thread, would read again.

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #360 of 589

LOL

Hahahaha, hold on dude! 
tongue.gif

I think they ARE overrated. I just don't think they're shoddy pieces of crap that are stains on the audio world. You give me a pile of $300 headphones and they'll land around the middle of the pack. That's it. That's all I've ever said. I don't own either brand (though I have in the past and enjoyed them). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back