Most powerful headphones to get for portable use that does not need amping.
Feb 20, 2011 at 12:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

JordanUK

New Head-Fier
Ok, so my other thread has lead me to this question.. What is the best kind of headphone (cans)  I can buy that can be used for my MP3, iPhone etc that will not need amping, not that it "isnt neccisary" but actually isnt reccomended.

I was looking at the berydynamic sd 770 80 ohm ones, as the ohms are pretty low?

I dont know about this .. any help would be great .. thanks,

I just dont want to make mistakes I will regret ! :wink:

Feb 20, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 11
Hey. My musical tastes vary from acoustic through to trance, electro, synthpop etc. I have came to a conclusion I really need a great headphone which I can use which will NOT require amping, so far i've came up with a list of headphones with "low ohms". Does this mean they will be easier to drive? But I guess that means the performance is not there either?

Here's what i've come up with..

Audio-Technica ATH-A900 Closed Back Hi-Fi Headphones

AKG K-271 MK II Closed-Back Studio Headphones (K271 MK-II)

AKG K-240 MK II Semi-Open Studio Headphones (K240 MK-II)

shure SRH-840

sennheiser HD380 PRO

I'm really stuck! So any advice would be great.. i'm open for reccommendations too!

Thanks

Feb 20, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #4 of 11
You want to be concerned with the overall efficiency of the headphones if you're not going to use an external amplifier, and the published impedance value is only part of this.

The DT770 Pro 80 ohm is rated at 96 dB at 1 mw, which isn't bad for full-size headphones but implies that they might not get terribly loud before the amplifier in your iPod starts clipping. By comparison, the Audio-Technica M50, at half the impedance (38 ohm), is rated at 99 dB at 1 mw, making them considerably more efficient -- roughly 6 dB louder at a given amplifier output, thanks to the combination of factors (efficiency and impedance). Even if you don't like your music loud, this will still mean that transients like drum hits and guitar plucks are going to have more natural impact, and the iPhone's battery will last a tiny bit longer since the amp will be drawing less power.

This isn't necessarily meant to encourage you to get the M50 or discourage you from the DT770, as much as illustrate that there's more than impedance to consider. If the DT770 sounds better to you out of your portables, though, by all means you should stick with 'em.

Feb 20, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
Hey. My musical tastes vary from acoustic through to trance, electro, synthpop etc. I have came to a conclusion I really need a great headphone which I can use which will NOT require amping, so far i've came up with a list of headphones with "low ohms". Does this mean they will be easier to drive? But I guess that means the performance is not there either?

Here's what i've come up with..

Audio-Technica ATH-A900 Closed Back Hi-Fi Headphones

AKG K-271 MK II Closed-Back Studio Headphones (K271 MK-II)

AKG K-240 MK II Semi-Open Studio Headphones (K240 MK-II)

shure SRH-840

sennheiser HD380 PRO

I'm really stuck! So any advice would be great.. i'm open for reccommendations too!

Thanks

Low ohwm headphones are not necessarily easier to drive- they use relatively less voltage, but more current/amperes. From experience, DT770-80 suffer a lot from low amplification - bass loses definition, highs are more emphasized, with shrill and painful results.  K271 don't have much bass, and even less without serious amplification.  SRH840 (and D5000) are good closed headphones that still sound good without amplification.  Haven't heard the others on your list, so can't comment on them.  ATH-A900 have a reputation for sounding good out an ipod, that may also apply to the A700.  Grados are open, and sound quite good without amplification, but are better suited for rock guitar and vocals.

Feb 20, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #6 of 11
Ultrasone HFI-580, they are my portibal and basshead cans, I love them and they dont need any sort of amp*but call cans benifit fomr one* 

Feb 20, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:

Low ohwm headphones are not necessarily easier to drive- they use relatively less voltage, but more current/amperes. From experience, DT770-80 suffer a lot from low amplification - bass loses definition, highs are more emphasized, with shrill and painful results.  K271 don't have much bass, and even less without serious amplification.  SRH840 (and D5000) are good closed headphones that still sound good without amplification.  Haven't heard the others on your list, so can't comment on them.  ATH-A900 have a reputation for sounding good out an ipod, that may also apply to the A700.  Grados are open, and sound quite good without amplification, but are better suited for rock guitar and vocals.

I agree. My DT770/80Ω are something I wouldn't use with a portable unamped. All of the awesome bass definition and power is lost, and I would feel like I wasn't getting my money's worth. There are better choices unless you plan on moving to a line out and portable amp in the future.

Feb 20, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #9 of 11
lol I am very surprised noone has recommended the M50's yet, which is a good thing. Definitely go for the 580's though, they seem to fit the bill for your needs. More bass than the M50's but not overpowering.

Feb 20, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:

I wouldn't necessarily consider the A700/900 portable though, they are both rather big headphones.

Feb 21, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #11 of 11
Thanks for all your replys guys, there very appreciated. I spent a little bit of time looking at the Shure 840's and the Ultrasound 580's. Both look great and look like they'll suit my needs, unamped.. I will also be able to buy an amp, it's just I really wouldnt have the space to move it around.. can you tell me if I WOULD benefit from a Graham Slee Voyager? As that is one of the amps I looked into. Thanks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back