Most Durable Headphones
Sep 29, 2012 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

pseudorandom

New Head-Fier
I've searched around for an answer to this question, and didn't quite find anything.

I'm looking for very durable headphones. I would consider headphones with non-neutral sounds, but I prefer neutrality. I'm willing to spend $300, or perhaps more if I can be persuaded by a particularly excellent set.

Also, can anyone speak to the durability of the Audio Technica ATH-M50S? I understand that in the <$300 range, these are considered the best value. I'd like to emphasize, however, that durability is most important.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #2 of 19
Mad Dog with Dog pad.
You didnt say that you will have/need an amp/dac or not :).

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #3 of 19
Shure SRH440.  I work on a boat, and I use them on 12hr shifts.  Besides the pads, they haven't broken yet.  They get wet, I drop them, and get them dirty (and...smelly, but I wipe them down everyday).  Now my connection of the cord to the headphone is kind of loose, so I have to wiggle it to work on both sides.

You want some V-Moda's probably, except I haven't heard them.  Just reading the official product page will tell you they are made for durability, which almost made me buy them.

Sep 30, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 19
I wouldn't really trust my Fostex (same as the Mad Dogs) to be extremely durable. Well, I wouldn't sit on them because of the rotating cup.

My vote is for a Beyerdynamic. The only issue is that none of them are very neutral (but if you were looking at the M50, you probably aren't looking too much at neutrality anyway). The DT770 is bassy, the DT880 is bright, and the DT990 is kind of both. But they're friggin durable I've literally clubbed people with my DT220, which feel a little less worse than the DT770.

Sep 30, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #6 of 19
The SMS Audio headphones can survive some horrific abuse without breaking, they resemble nothing approaching neutral though. I've also yet to see a production pair that have the channels wired in right.

Supposedly the Beyerdynamic DT48 can survive getting hit by a train, but they're on the way out (after some 80 years in production). They're also kind of expensive (~$400).

V-MODA headphones are also reportedly very tough, and I know that they are active on the forums here.

Finally, there's Koss. Koss doesn't explicitly make the most durable headphones in the world, but what Koss does have is a no-questions-asked lifetime warranty on their headphones. Which means if you break them, they will fix them. As long as you're willing to pay shipping. Based on some of their older ESP models (which share hardware with some of their dynamic headphones), I'd be inclined to say the PRO4/AA and relatives (like AAT) are probably pretty robust on top of that.

Regarding the M50 specifically - I think they're relatively robust, at least more-so than competitors (e.g. the HD 380 Pro), but the headband doesn't have as much give as you'd see with SMS or V-MODA (these based solely on pictures), and the plastic doesn't feel as rough-and-tumble. The cord is also not removable, so if you snag or rip that, they're probably finished (unless you're handy and can fix them). They certainly could withstand "normal" studio/road abuse, but I wouldn't suggest sitting on them or clubbing someone with them. :xf_eek:

Sep 30, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #8 of 19
Heya,

Of all the headphones I've played with, the Beyers and Ultrasones (pro series) have always been the most durable from band to cord. The DT770 PRO has got to be one of the most tank-like headphones. Also the M-Audio Q40, that thing is tank-like too. Less moving parts. Durable materials. They can take beatings and keep ticking just fine.

Very best,

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #9 of 19
German MAESTRO GMP 8.35D Monitor.. If there is 1 headphone more durable than hd25, that should be gmp 8.35d. very flat sounding too, if you like neutrality go for it

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:
German MAESTRO GMP 8.35D Monitor.. If there is 1 headphone more durable than hd25, that should be gmp 8.35d. very flat sounding too, if you like neutrality go for it

This is the only real answer (though the TMA-1 and Beyers are close runners-up). There is literally nothing I've found that can break the GMP-series monitors; they're been run over by cars at demo events.

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #12 of 19
Bose AE2 are my most durable headphone by far (although subjectively they are my worst sounding too).  I have fallen asleep ON THEM 2-3 times. I wake up with a bruise on my ribs in the middle of the night.  The cable gets a bad-rap for being thin.  But I have YANKED on mine pretty good from door knobs, throwing a backpack over my shoulder...etc and its been fine.  The cable detaches from the earcup and is easily replaced, but AFIAK it only accepts the OEM.  There are a couple YT video reviews of people pulling, bending, stretching and twisting the headband like a pretzel.

Feb 19, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:
This is the only real answer (though the TMA-1 and Beyers are close runners-up). There is literally nothing I've found that can break the GMP-series monitors; they're been run over by cars at demo events.

Thanks buddy. As a German MAESTRO customer I am really happy with the sound and their customer service too. These guys deserve to be in this list, at least with their 8.XXX series headphones.

May 12, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #14 of 19
I have the V-Moda M-80's and would say these are a very durable set. I've dropped them a lot of times and they are still in awesome condition. Ive tried bending them into impossible angles and would say they can withstand these too. They sound neutral on most levels although bass may be a little big, but not by much

Jun 15, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #15 of 19
Check V-Moda headphones. The manufacturer claims all their headphones meet military grade standards for durability. Their cords are kevlar-reinforced (kevlar - material of which bullet-proof vests are made). Thay are also very stylish. I onw their lowest priced model V-Moda Crossfade LP. sold for around $100, if you shop around. Their top of the line model Crossfade M-100 retails at around $300. They are not exactly flat (or natural) sounding, but the sound is enormously enjoyable. Some people claim they are great for dance, reggae, rock, bot not the best for jazz or classical music. I disagree. I have a M.A degree in Classical Piano and Music Education, I listen to classical music a lot and find it sounding great through my V-Moda Crossfade LP. Those headphones come with a 2-year manufacturer warranty, after 2 years they provide a lifetime 50% replacement warranty for any reason (as V-Moda CEO once wrote, "even if they've been run over by a tank"). Hope this helps  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back