More choices ...when will it end! Pacific Valve Ming DA MC 84C07
Oct 15, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #121 of 270
You will be thrilled with the Ming da. Like Skylab, I also use orig. Mullard EL84.....but choose differently otherwise (Amperex 6HU6, and Raytheon 5751/windmills [hard to get]). The Ming Da powers my dt990/600, and modded K340.

Oct 15, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #122 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will be thrilled with the Ming da. Like Skylab, I also use orig. Mullard EL84.....but choose differently otherwise (Amperex 6HU6, and Raytheon 5751/windmills [hard to get]). The Ming Da powers my dt990/600, and modded K340.

Can't wait. I also plan on rolling some tubes, but I'll probably use the stock ones for a while just to become accustomed to the sound, and to let it burn in. Then when I finally do pick up tubes, I'll get the benefit of experiencing an upgrade.

Oct 17, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #124 of 270
Looks like I'm going to have wait at least 2 weeks before my Ming Da shows up. Such a bummer. I'm using the Compass amp right now in super mode with my DacMagic, and what a huge improvement that was. The internal dac of the Compass really isn't that great at all. And the amp itself is sub-par in my opinion... still sounds very bright to me. Guess I'll have to suffer with the Compass for a while yet....

Oct 17, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #125 of 270
I tried to wait past the fotm phase before I got my compass. But with so many very favorable reviews I went ahead and got one. The amp and preamp was better than I expected, but the dac was a bit of a disappointment. I thought the compass was suppose to be a dac first, but IMO it was the weakest part. The preamp was very, very good. The amp was good for a solid state amp, but the dac was decent at best. But to sum it all up, the complete package is very good for the price. IMO you do have to spend a lot more to get better in an all in one solution. To bad the dac wasn't on par with the preamp and headamp. Of course this just my opinion. I don't want to make you over excited but, the mingda IMO will be a nice upgrade to the amp in the compass.

Oct 17, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #126 of 270
jsplice, was the exchange deal at PV for equal value? did you buy your compass from them?
I was seduced by the utility of the Compass but, like you, found the DAC to be lacking.
Ive been looking at the Ming Da for a while. Im a sucker for these multi purpose units.

Oct 18, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #127 of 270
Yes, the exchange has to be for an equal or greater value product, and yes I did get it from Pacific Valve. I too was drawn in my the combo dac/amp that is the Compass, but ultimately it is just lacking overall.

Has anyone compared the Ming Da to any of the Woo Audio products that are in the similar price range (i.e. WA3 or WA6). Since the wait is going to be so long for this Ming Da, I'm also considering the Woo. It looks to be built better than the Ming Da, but I'm not sure how they compare in terms of performance....

Oct 18, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #128 of 270
In Skylab's tube amp rankings he has the ming da ranked 6th and the woo 3+ ranked 12th. That's pretty impressive for am amp in that price range. I've heard a few amps in my day, and I would be inclined to agree. There have been a lot of things come in and out of my house, but one thing that will never leave is my ming da. Here's a link to that thread, you might be surprised at all the more expensive amps he has it ranked ahead of.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...e-amps-402585/

Oct 20, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #130 of 270
I ended up canceling the Ming Da and ordered an Elekit TU-882 because it was going to take a long time to receive the Ming Da. Plus I've read many great things about the Elekit as well. I'm sure they are both fantastic amps and I'm looking forward to building and hearing the Elekit. One thing is for sure, the Ming Da sure does look classier than the Elekit...

Oct 22, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #132 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsplice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ended up canceling the Ming Da and ordered an Elekit TU-882 because it was going to take a long time to receive the Ming Da. Plus I've read many great things about the Elekit as well. I'm sure they are both fantastic amps and I'm looking forward to building and hearing the Elekit. One thing is for sure, the Ming Da sure does look classier than the Elekit...

how long for the Ming Da to be delivered? Are there any other sources for ordering the Ming Da?

Oct 22, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #133 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by elbuzzard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how long for the Ming Da to be delivered? Are there any other sources for ordering the Ming Da?

It was going to be at least 2 weeks before it reached my house. Pacific Valve had them on order, and when they come in they have test all of them first before shipping them out. I do not now of any other US domestic sources of the Ming Da. You might be able to buy it direct from China from someone on EBay.

Nov 25, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #135 of 270
I have a Ming DA MC84C07 and switched from the stock China 12AX7 to the Sovtek 12AX7LPS and then switched back. The Sovtek had a noticeable hum at only moderate levels and sounded too harsh. The musical nature of the amp was better with the China 12AX7. The China ones are excellent for a very low price. (That is, included with the amp.) I am using JJ Tesla EL84's.

Then I got the JAN-Philips 12AX7WA. These are a "mil-spec" tube. There is virtually no hum and it has lots of punch but maybe just a tad crisp. But, there are always tradeoffs. The benefit of the JAN-Philips is that there are instruments there in the music that simply did not exist before. They are also capable of more volume.

Does anyone have any suggestions for replacing the JJ Tesla EL84's? I am extremely satisfied with them but ready to experiment.

It is fun swapping out the tubes. I know of no other way to change the sound of an audio system so fundamentally for a "relatively" modest amount of money and small amount of physical effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back