Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jul 13, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #8,777 of 12,007
Though I'm excited and eager to try out the new variations, I'm still having fun with B2 + Paw S1 combo.
The Paw S1 really make the B2 'sing'. I hear improved bass, mids and treble extension, as well as more clarity.
IMG_0743.jpg

Can't help myself but to rant a bit here, is that the stock USB-C cable that comes with paw s1 is a HUGE disappointment. Within a couple week of use, even without walking with it in the pocket much, a slight pinch or twist can cut off the signal.
Ordered a right angle USB-C to lightning cable from Woo audio, feel really sturdy, but a bit stiff. Works great so far
IMG_0744.jpg

Really happy with this combo so far. Ordered a new 4.4 balanced cable and waiting for it to arrive. :)

Jul 13, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #8,778 of 12,007
Though I'm excited and eager to try out the new variations, I'm still having fun with B2 + Paw S1 combo.
The Paw S1 really make the B2 'sing'. I hear improved bass, mids and treble extension, as well as more clarity.

Can't help myself but to rant a bit here, is that the stock USB-C cable that comes with paw s1 is a HUGE disappointment. Within a couple week of use, even without walking with it in the pocket much, a slight pinch or twist can cut off the signal.
Ordered a right angle USB-C to lightning cable from Woo audio, feel really sturdy, but a bit stiff. Works great so far
Really happy with this combo so far. Ordered a new 4.4 balanced cable and waiting for it to arrive. :)

I recommend this connector for a cleaner setup:

Screenshot_20210713-214514420 (1).jpg

Screenshot_20210713-214634123 (1).jpg
Screenshot_20210713-214627377 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #8,779 of 12,007
I recommend this connector for a cleaner setup:

Yea I've been looking for something like that, but I think this doesn't comes with lightning to usb-c options. What I'm using now with the elastic bands are just a temporary make shift solution....until I found a better one.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #8,781 of 12,007
Thanks, I will check this out. The first one looks really good!
BTW, I bought TRN T3 last week from Aliexpress. This seems similar to the second one.
I think the TRN T3 is pure silver (the second one in the link is silver plated), but compared to actual KBear Limpid pure silver cables it falls short in material, assembling and build quality

Jul 13, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #8,782 of 12,007
I wonder if the Variations is like the Monarch where you can increase the bass with impedance adapters. Might get to monstrous levels of sub-bass though. 😆 EQ is probably a better opini

I did on my unit some days ago, measured only (75ohms adapter from Dunu)... Didn't heard it with impedance adapter. Bass enough for me without.

Variations 75 Ohms.png

Jul 13, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #8,784 of 12,007
Welp, tip rolling the Dusk and using up filters before realizing I should just tip roll without filters til I figure out what to stick with lol.

Actually preferring the stock tips sound, but they are less comfortable. Xelastec sound decent, but just a bit off. Symbiio, Spiral Dot, Spinfits (never seal right for me) I didn't like either the fit or sound. I think anything with a wider bore kinda kills some of the soundstage, stuff far out to the sides loses some detail. Might pick up some Final Audio E tips they are similar in shape to the stock tips.
Nah Final E type has small bore, the silicone material is good though. The E-type is bass booster or treble tamer.

Yea samething happened to my Variations during tips rolling, I’ve been lazy to reattach the filter when it went off for a week. I’m using Dusk/B2 without dust filter too.

Jul 13, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #8,785 of 12,007
From photos, on some of the newer KBear cables it looks like there is zero protusion of the plastic (that holds the pins) beyond the metal connector housing. This would still work fine if the 2 pin sockets on the IEM are flush but the Variations sockets are very slightly recessed. The cable would still work but you would be just a bit shy of full length contact of the pins in the sockets. Maybe not a big deal but certainly not ideal. I've seen this on atleast one photo of the 2 pin connectors on one of the 24 core KBear cables.

Heres one that shows a small bit of protrusion ...
61ZeT8ZOUaL._SL1500_.jpg

This one appears to have no protrusion at all ...

717opsXCkbS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Jul 13, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #8,786 of 12,007
I wonder if the Variations is like the Monarch where you can increase the bass with impedance adapters. Might get to monstrous levels of sub-bass though. 😆 EQ is probably a better option.
1626151722659.png
Tried Hiby 20ohm impedance adapter, yea it elevate whole bass floor, but not to the curve I want, I want a Aria like straight glide down slope, raising 100-200hz but keep sub100hz as-is🥺

Monarch/Variations style sub-bass L shape bass is good for EDM/pops but I do miss fuller mid-bass for Rock/Baritone instruments, hope there is a switch to flip.

Jul 13, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #8,787 of 12,007
Tried Hiby 20ohm impedance adapter, yea it elevate whole bass floor, but not to the curve I want, I want a Aria like straight glide down slope, raising 100-200hz but keep sub100hz as-is🥺

Monarch/Variations style sub-bass L shape bass is good for EDM/pops but I do miss fuller mid-bass for Rock/Baritone instruments, hope there is a switch to flip.
Which dac amp setup are you using?

Jul 13, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #8,789 of 12,007
Comparison between See Audio Yume and Variations:
4326EB53-3D54-4DEF-934D-FAEB4E6DE89D.jpeg

1626215441964.png
graph (16).png

-They share a similar approach through the Harman curve, Yume follows 2.8khz Peak traditional, Variation follows trending 3khZ peak.
-Both Yume and Variations shares a similar approach around 6khz, no signs of harshness, neutral-sounding
-Yume's bass from the look it appears fairly elevated and following Harman curve, but in fact, from the listening experience, is very very thin and felt like BA in terms of the impact, fast and distortion-free.

-It will be a straight upgrade from Yume to Variations in terms of image density, resolution, diffusion field, positioning, and focusing, and the most evident upgrade will be the momentum of sound and liveliness.

Overall: Yume is a very uncolored and transparent IEM good at monitoring. Variation will be a musicality boosted overhaul.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back