Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jul 12, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #8,761 of 12,011
My Variations finally came today! after a long month wait. I was gonna initially get Oracle, but saw the new Variations and bought it instead since I really liked Starfiled. Hope I made a good choice.
BTW, has anyone tried different cables for Variations? I am tempted to get Linsoul Nymph (on sale at Drop), or any other recommendation?
I burned it in during the weekend, and have been listening to this all day today. I am absolutely in love with my Variations. It got strong bass, clear mid, and shiny treble. Compared to Starfield, Variations beats it on every aspect (of course!). I will do some tip rolling and try different cables to find the best match possible.

Jul 12, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #8,762 of 12,011
I burned it in during the weekend, and have been listening to this all day today. I am absolutely in love with my Variations. It got strong bass, clear mid, and shiny treble. Compared to Starfield, Variations beats it on every aspect (of course!). I will do some tip rolling and try different cables to find the best match possible.
Try the KBear cable. Final Audio eartips works great on Variations as well.

Jul 12, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #8,764 of 12,011
Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #8,765 of 12,011
Try the KBear cable. Final Audio eartips works great on Variations as well.
Was it the Type E? I had a hard time getting it over the nozzle and gave up. I just stuck Xelastec tips on the variations and it sounds and feels great. Swapped in the Thieaudio EST cable too. Have to spend some time with this setup.

I did notice the Variations was a lot drier and cleaner sounding than the Andromeda S, which, in comparison, seems to to warmer and with more reverb (is this the TEAC at work?!). The reverb gives it a nice romantic vibe, but the cleaner presentation on the Variations makes separation better. It's amazing how different they sound.

Jul 12, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #8,766 of 12,011
Was it the Type E? I had a hard time getting it over the nozzle and gave up. I just stuck Xelastec tips on the variations and it sounds and feels great. Swapped in the Thieaudio EST cable too. Have to spend some time with this setup.

I did notice the Variations was a lot drier and cleaner sounding than the Andromeda S, which, in comparison, seems to to warmer and with more reverb (is this the TEAC at work?!). The reverb gives it a nice romantic vibe, but the cleaner presentation on the Variations makes separation better. It's amazing how different they sound.
Yes it is the type E. Xelastec is another great eartips. The stock tips work perfectly fine too.

Jul 12, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #8,767 of 12,011
I was trying cable rolling today, PWA copper 28 brought me almost to an altered state of consciousness as I felt my body fell asleep while brain remained intact, an almost sleep paralysis with this

After honeymoon phase with Variations, strange thing happens. I like it more than during honeymoon.

This only happened to DUNU SA6 and Variations, because most of the time I do find some nitpicking small dissatisfactions of each IEMs as I spent more and more time than the trivial small positive feedbacks, which did not happen to Variations.

@MOONDROP
As a further value-addition, I would suggest letting Variations to have tuning switch such as Anole VX(treble, mid, bass) or TRI Starsea (treble&upper mid, bass), or SA6(bass).

Bass (default): Current sub-bass focused
Bass (switch On): Aria style straight glide down slope

Mid (default): current RSV style 3khz pinna gain peak spot hit
Mid (Switch On): Sparks style mid plateau, adding warm and fuller body

Treble : None needed as it’s perfectly tuned.
Maybe add switch to let extra sibilance for strings like the one of Monarch tuning.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #8,769 of 12,011
I was trying cable rolling today, PWA copper 28 brought me almost to an altered state of consciousness as I felt my body fell asleep while brain remained intact, an almost sleep paralysis with this

After honeymoon phase with Variations, strange thing happens. I like it more than during honeymoon.

This only happened to DUNU SA6 and Variations, because most of the time I do find some nitpicking small dissatisfactions of each IEMs as I spent more and more time than the trivial small positive feedbacks, which did not happen to Variations.

@MOONDROP
As a further value-addition, I would suggest letting Variations to have tuning switch such as Anole VX(treble, mid, bass) or TRI Starsea (treble&upper mid, bass), or SA6(bass).

Bass (default): Current sub-bass focused
Bass (switch On): Aria style straight glide down slope

Mid (default): current RSV style 3khz pinna gain peak spot hit
Mid (Switch On): Sparks style mid plateau, adding warm and fuller body

Treble : None needed as it’s perfectly tuned.
Maybe add switch to let extra sibilance for strings like the one of Monarch tuning.

I see you switched your order of liked iems to variations. 👍

I love my 24 core silver kbear cable. Yes it is the most expensive of the three but imho it's the softest and I just like the all silver look of it.

I got lost listening to daft punk today. Random access memories is the album and wow that album has some range. Sounds coming from all around. I closed my eyes and I could see the soundstage in my mind's eye raise higher as certain notes would hit. Pretty amazing where this set of iems takes me each time I put them in my ear. I used to tell my wife I was going to "jam out". Now I tell her I'm going to another realm. Lol. I know this sounds exaggerated but it's how I feel. :)

Jul 12, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #8,770 of 12,011
I see you switched your order of liked iems to variations. 👍

I love my 24 core silver kbear cable. Yes it is the most expensive of the three but imho it's the softest and I just like the all silver look of it.

I got lost listening to daft punk today. Random access memories is the album and wow that album has some range. Sounds coming from all around. I closed my eyes and I could see the soundstage in my mind's eye raise higher as certain notes would hit. Pretty amazing where this set of iems takes me each time I put them in my ear. I used to tell my wife I was going to "jam out". Now I tell her I'm going to another realm. Lol. I know this sounds exaggerated but it's how I feel. :)
Yea I almost found it to be my endgame(disregarding layering technicality like VX and ultimate holographic imaging like MEST2 because those are speciality, not all rounder). In terms of Immersion, I found Variations is on top tier, maybe better than RSV.

This IEM, Variations, basically disappears once a really good recording kicks in, it’s a diving experience rather than listening experience. It’s a catalyst, not reproduction equipment.

Main contributors of this immersion from my observation:
#1: uninterrupted LCP bass driver, of which Aria unfortunately is interrupted by the dumper filter. Produces Nimble and tactile, diffusing bass with speed x energy.

#2: Spotlight style midrange softears D-MID-B with tuning similar to Softears RSV which is basically a “Reference Sound” series, high fidelity and accurate

#3: Great implementation of Sonion EST, non harsh, not dark, just right. The Dusk/B2’s Knowles SWFK tuning got a slight 6khz peak which serves great for resolution purpose but with a cost of “hint” of coloration which will be a drag factor to full immersion. Softears RSV meanwhile is close to Dusk/B2 in the curve without 6khz peak.

But until then when I went over Yo-Yo-Ma’s cello solo, I did notice Variations’s sub-bass focused bass line is not ideal for Cello🥺 Also Gibson les paul sounded a bit thin to my ear, I so hope there is a tuning switch to flip it on like the one SA6 got(it can be flipped wity finger nail WITH IEM still sticking in the ear while playing the music, just one flip)

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #8,771 of 12,011
Welp, tip rolling the Dusk and using up filters before realizing I should just tip roll without filters til I figure out what to stick with lol.

Actually preferring the stock tips sound, but they are less comfortable. Xelastec sound decent, but just a bit off. Symbiio, Spiral Dot, Spinfits (never seal right for me) I didn't like either the fit or sound. I think anything with a wider bore kinda kills some of the soundstage, stuff far out to the sides loses some detail. Might pick up some Final Audio E tips they are similar in shape to the stock tips.

Jul 13, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #8,772 of 12,011
Yea I almost found it to be my endgame(disregarding layering technicality like VX and ultimate holographic imaging like MEST2 because those are speciality, not all rounder). In terms of Immersion, I found Variations is on top tier, maybe better than RSV.

This IEM, Variations, basically disappears once a really good recording kicks in, it’s a diving experience rather than listening experience. It’s a catalyst, not reproduction equipment.

#1: uninterrupted LCP bass driver, of which Aria unfortunately is interrupted by the dumper filter. Produces Nimble and tactile, diffusing bass with speed x energy.

#2: Spotlight style midrange softears D-MID-B with tuning similar to Softears RSV which is basically a “Reference Sound” series, high fidelity and accurate

#3: Great implementation of Sonion EST, non harsh, not dark, just right. The Dusk/B2’s Knowles SWFK tuning got a slight 6khz peak which serves great for resolution purpose but with a cost of “hint” of coloration which will be a drag factor to full immersion. Softears RSV meanwhile is close to Dusk/B2 in the curve without 6khz peak.

But until then when I went over Yo-Yo-Ma’s cello solo, I did notice Variations’s sub-bass focused bass line is not ideal for Cello🥺 Also Gibson les paul sounded a bit thin to my ear, I so hope there is a tuning switch to flip it on like the one SA6 got(it can be flipped wity finger nail WITH IEM still sticking in the ear while playing the music, just one flip)
What I like about the Variations is that it even sounds good in not so stellar 128+kbps mp3 or youtube.

Jul 13, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #8,773 of 12,011

I wonder if the Variations is like the Monarch where you can increase the bass with impedance adapters. Might get to monstrous levels of sub-bass though. 😆 EQ is probably a better option.
1626151722659.png

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 1:21 AM Post #8,774 of 12,011
I wonder if the Variations is like the Monarch where you can increase the bass with impedance adapters. Might get to monstrous levels of sub-bass though. 😆 EQ is probably a better opinion.
1626151722659.png
Ah forgot I had the Hiby impedance adapter! Will try tomorrow. Thanks

Jul 13, 2021 at 1:26 AM Post #8,775 of 12,011
What I like about the Variations is that it even sounds good in not so stellar 128+kbps mp3 or youtube.
Yea very versatile. Not a perfect all rounder like SA6, but Variations has great scalability and transparency with immersive bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back