Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jul 14, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #8,807 of 12,011
Are the Variations' IEM cavities resin-filled like the B2 or is it a free-air enclosure? Might help you narrow down what it is.
It’s resin-fill in type like B2/Dusk, only cavity between faceplate is free-air.
Not an entirely free air enclosure like many other IEMs.
The metal faceplate might be a factor as for Blessing2, I once felt little itchiness that reminded me of touching lithium battery when the metal faceplate contacts the ear. So I’m not a metal faceplate fan.

Your B2 should be fine as it’s stabilized wood version.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #8,808 of 12,011
Hello, has there been any indication that Moondrop is going to revise Aria to get a mesh grill on it, rather than the steel one? Or, how likely do you think this would happen? I'm reluctant to buy a new product and then go and apply physical adjustments to it (and thereby possibly void warranty), even though it would most likely result in better AQ. Besides, I don't even have a 4.2mm mesh grill to put on the Aria (I only have a 4mm mesh grill from Blon BL-03) after removal of the steel grill.

Jul 14, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #8,810 of 12,011
Hello, has there been any indication that Moondrop is going to revise Aria to get a mesh grill on it, rather than the steel one? Or, how likely do you think this would happen? I'm reluctant to buy a new product and then go and apply physical adjustments to it (and thereby possibly void warranty), even though it would most likely result in better AQ. Besides, I don't even have a 4.2mm mesh grill to put on the Aria (I only have a 4mm mesh grill from Blon BL-03) after removal of the steel grill.
I suggested, Moondrop liked it. But that’s not going to indicate a minor update, as product development involves many teams not just sales/marketing.

Yea aftermarket modification is not what I like too. By the way you can just simply remove grill filter (it comes with 3 extra pairs), if you like it, keep it, if didn’t like it, reattach grill. Replacing filters are not considered aftermarket modifications as Moondrop obviously includes these replacement filters in the package.

Removing grill filter shall be in course of ordinary and necessary routine maintenance process.

Jul 14, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #8,811 of 12,011
It is not *much of an issue, removing the clear adhesive rings behind the metallic hexagonal filters does not void the warranty and does not affect usage (they do not fall out after being modded). Used like this together with the acoustic filter, the sound is similar or even very slightly better than when the Aria is used with the KXXS filter set. *This way you don't even have to purchase extra accessories to get both good sound and some wax/dirt protection

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #8,812 of 12,011
if you worry that you need a modification to make the Aria sounds good,
then you don't need to worry about it,
it sounds good out of the box, stock tuning,

the mods is to improve it, not because it sounds bad,
and also maybe you will like it more without any mods,

Jul 14, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #8,813 of 12,011
I'm am very much enjoying the Dusk so far. The only IEMs in this price range (at least at one time) I've had previously are the FLC8S/N, Sony EX800 and the Etymotic ER4XR.

The staging and imaging are something I haven't experienced in an IEM before, the way instruments are separated and layered is kind of a revelation for me, at least in an IEM, and I'm sure there's still better out there. If I had one complaint about the sound it would probably be the bass, there's nothing wrong with it really, the DD just does its job, just doesn't do anything special. I get a little bit of the incoherency people talk about, but nothing that stands out too terribly. I could also take minor issue with slightly thin note weight for certain instruments, but the overall clarity and balance makes up for it. I had to throw a preamp in EqualizerAPO on my PC to use them with my Element II since they're fairly easy to drive, I didn't have a whole lot of room to control the volume before it got too loud, I expected that though.

They do start to hurt my ear canals a bit after about 90 minutes or so, a 5 minute break every hour is enough to alleviate this, which isn't a bad habit to get in anyway. This is getting better though, so I think some of it was just fiddling with the fit at the beginning, otherwise I find them very comfortable. Cable is very meh for this price range, just tangly and no chin slider. I also really wish Moondrop would try to build a filter into the nozzle for their more expensive IEMs, dealing with the tiny mesh is a bit annoying, but it is a low cost solution.

After that rambling...all of my complaints/issues are minor nitpicks, kinda have to with something this good. A last positive sign, I tend to mostly listen to full albums, but since getting these I haven't been able to, I just keep thinking of other songs/artists I want to hear on them.

Jul 14, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #8,814 of 12,011
Just got the newer Arias yesterday, my first Moondrop set. They've replaced every KZ/CCA and anything else I've ever had as my new budget kings. It's not even close. They're extremely good for $80. If you give them a good amp and DAC, they really shine and do sound like $200+ IEMs.

I'm now interested in getting the Variations, but I don't feel like it will be worth the price jump, considering any IEM I use would be for PS5/XBOX Series X gaming as I use headphones on my desktop setup.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #8,815 of 12,011
Just got the newer Arias yesterday, my first Moondrop set. They've replaced every KZ/CCA and anything else I've ever had as my new budget kings. It's not even close. They're extremely good for $80. If you give them a good amp and DAC, they really shine and do sound like $200+ IEMs.

I'm now interested in getting the Variations, but I don't feel like it will be worth the price jump, considering any IEM I use would be for PS5/XBOX Series X gaming as I use headphones on my desktop setup.
Well it is going to be a big jump from my personal experience from having both Aria and Variations.

Jul 14, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #8,816 of 12,011

Unfortunately the only IEMs I have tried from the MOONDROP brand are the Starfield and the SSR but for gaming (mainly FPS) I have never found anything better than the QKZ VK4, their soudstage is zero but the imaging is perfect. It sounds crazy but when I use them I can perfectly pinpoint all enemies using only sound.

Jul 14, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #8,817 of 12,011
Which dac/amp are you guys using with your iems? I'm using the d30 pro and a30 pro but I'm starting to think it's overkill. It sounds great but I guess I'm starting to dislike how bulky everything is as I use the setup with a laptop and a laptop rest that sits on my lap.

Is there anything that can give me the sound quality of this topping setup but in a smaller package?

Jul 15, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #8,818 of 12,011
Which dac/amp are you guys using with your iems? I'm using the d30 pro and a30 pro but I'm starting to think it's overkill. It sounds great but I guess I'm starting to dislike how bulky everything is as I use the setup with a laptop and a laptop rest that sits on my lap.

Is there anything that can give me the sound quality of this topping setup but in a smaller package?
Same, but to a lesser extent! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
I've been using my Motu M2 with IEMs, but feel there's too much gain. Been looking at the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro as it also has very low THD+Noise ratio for sensitive IEMs but there seems to be too few volume steps for precise adjustments to be made. May get the E35 instead unless they revise its design

Jul 15, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #8,819 of 12,011
Got my Moondrop Variations repaired and finally have chance to try some other cables with it. Really digging the sound now! I am using a 4 core gold plated copper + silver plated copper and the sound is just excellent. Best bass and drum sounds I have heard so far (just forget the stock cable) and treble really shines with brighter recording and instruments (I mean recording with good extensions at both ends). I think it is good for modern vocal singing style due to the relatively thin mids (likely tuned this way for a safer tuning or just more cost effective) but not excellent at this state but really really good for classical vocal and music in general especially strings and maybe flutes alike.

Now I think it is very very likely the DD is yet again a full frequency driver with the EST and BA complimenting it. The treble just has the very same speed as the bass.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #8,820 of 12,011

Really depends on priorities.
For convenience even an older iPhone SE with 3,5mm output does the job.
For portability my Mojo/HiBy R3 stack is easy to take anywhere and sounds very good. Mojo is very musical with excellent mids taking literally "center stage"
The Chord Hugo 2 serves as portable desktop and office solution and is clearly the best in terms of SQ. It has significantly more definition and precision, especially in the bass and treble, and a bigger and deeper sound stage.

Overkill? Really depends on the IEM and the target.
I found that IEMs really scale quite differently, and I take it as a sign of quality if they do.
Out of my 3 main IEMs the Blessing 2 improves the least going from Mojo to Hugo 2, the UM 3DT scales moderately well, and the Sony IER-M9 benefits the most.

It's kind of funny with source quality, the differences seem small but for me they make a big difference in how I enjoy the music.
No, I don't think a good DAC/Amp is overkill for good IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back