Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Oct 29, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #6,617 of 11,979
Just my preference, not a fan of EQ.
And also it is because I don't like the stock cable..
the changable plug is too stiff and not quite durable IMO.
To be fair, the stock cable pretty good from wiring component aspect but I can understand not liking the feel. The plastic on the swapable terminations I feel should have enough durability but switching it can be hard at times. But I definitely can get the sentiment that it looks a bit tacky for most people.

From my limited time of experience cable swapping, swapping it to the Faaeal copper cable doesn't really impact the bass as doing a small eq tweak on the bass or tip rolling for a deeper insertion so that the vents are closer against your ear.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #6,618 of 11,979
To be fair, the stock cable pretty good from wiring component aspect but I can understand not liking the feel. The plastic on the swapable terminations I feel should have enough durability but switching it can be hard at times. But I definitely can get the sentiment that it looks a bit tacky for most people.

From my limited time of experience cable swapping, swapping it to the Faaeal copper cable doesn't really impact the bass as doing a small eq tweak on the bass or tip rolling for a deeper insertion so that the vents are closer against your ear.
I wish the swapable termination have a better material than a plastic and more easy way to swap it.
In my case the 4.4 is very hard to remove and insert compared to the 3.5 one for some reason.

Except for the accesories, I do not have much complain about the sound, for the price and a single DD, it is very good.
Not TOTL level in term of technical performance to be sure, but I enjoyed it so far, the Mid is so good!
I definitely prefer this than Blessing 2.

Tip rolling definitely a must to get a better bass! Use Spinfit to get better insertion help get the bass more. It is alot better than with the stock tips!

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #6,619 of 11,979
Oct 30, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #6,620 of 11,979
Unfortunately I haven't heard other higher end single DD IEMs but I'm looking to get my hands on a Ex1k for comparison. I suppose the closest single DD I do have is the NM2+ which seems to sound like a baby version of the Dunu Luna from some people on here. The NM2+ surprisingly is very technical for its price but possibly hindered by tonality for some.

It would be great if you could compare the Illumination to the EX1k!

I have the Blessing 2 and the EX1k at hand. I find the Ex1k more dynamic and more engaging, with higher clarity, a bigger sense of space and a darker background. It also sounds effortless and has that beautiful, controlled and extended bass.
The B2 is a little flatter in it's presentation, with less contrast, but presenting the music with a little more focus on the details, making them stand out more.

This track really shows the dynamic and separation capabilities of an IEM:
https://tidal.com/browse/track/77607310
Especially towards the end it's a really tough track which can break up easily.

And the one I used to compare the details is Katie Melua's "Shy Boy"
https://tidal.com/browse/track/63658097
Listen for the part from 1:50 to 2:20, I listened specifically for the definition of the very quiet bongos (or something similar)

Oct 30, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #6,621 of 11,979
I wish the swapable termination have a better material than a plastic and more easy way to swap it.
In my case the 4.4 is very hard to remove and insert compared to the 3.5 one for some reason.

Except for the accesories, I do not have much complain about the sound, for the price and a single DD, it is very good.
Not TOTL level in term of technical performance to be sure, but I enjoyed it so far, the Mid is so good!
I definitely prefer this than Blessing 2.

Tip rolling definitely a must to get a better bass! Use Spinfit to get better insertion help get the bass more. It is alot better than with the stock tips!

Yeah, I do agree the 4.4mm was tougher to swap off and on while testing if they'd swap with no issues.

It sure is hella of a single DD for the price and I could probably see some discussion of the Illumination giving other TOTL single DD's a run for its money in terms of technical performance when you put the price at consideration.

From limited tip rolling, I found that Xelastecs colored it with a bit more energy that feel some might prefer for even more engaging listening experience but most of my time was spent about 50/50 between stock and Sedna Light tips which have been serving me very well.

It would be great if you could compare the Illumination to the EX1k!

I have the Blessing 2 and the EX1k at hand. I find the Ex1k more dynamic and more engaging, with higher clarity, a bigger sense of space and a darker background. It also sounds effortless and has that beautiful, controlled and extended bass.
The B2 is a little flatter in it's presentation, with less contrast, but presenting the music with a little more focus on the details, making them stand out more.

This track really shows the dynamic and separation capabilities of an IEM:
https://tidal.com/browse/track/77607310
Especially towards the end it's a really tough track which can break up easily.

And the one I used to compare the details is Katie Melua's "Shy Boy"
https://tidal.com/browse/track/63658097
Listen for the part from 1:50 to 2:20, I listened specifically for the definition of the very quiet bongos (or something similar)
Speaking of which, I actually be able to compare the Sony EX1K against the Illumination hopefully next week so I'll definitely post an update about that in the later future.
I'll hopefully look into those tracks when I'm going through my comparison.

Oct 31, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #6,622 of 11,979
Got an early copy of SSP in, graphed vs. SSR.

No sound impressions yet. But the matte blue coloring is quite nicely done, reminds me of the matte KXXX, higher quality painting than the two silver SSRs I’ve had. Mesh grill on the nozzles is different than SSR and other Moondrops I can remember.

Attachments

• 0065DBC7-C12D-44A4-8A75-4C0F4CB99DD8.png
    0065DBC7-C12D-44A4-8A75-4C0F4CB99DD8.png
    50.5 KB · Views: 0
Oct 31, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #6,624 of 11,979
Moondrop has got to stop releasing so much. I only have so many ears and it has only been a month that I went from the Starfields to Blessing2s. Now I want a SSP
It's mostly because we discontinued many things last year:)

Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com
Nov 1, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #6,625 of 11,979
Nov 1, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #6,626 of 11,979
Got an early copy of SSP in, graphed vs. SSR.

Okay... that looks REALLY promising. Still a pretty big pinna gain, MH755-esque. but with plenty of bass and slightly reduced treble to even things out.

Nov 2, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #6,627 of 11,979
This is your CEO habit isn't it :'D
yeah kind of, when we list something that seems right to develop it seems fine, but after we add something we want, it usually messed up quite a bit(especially when CEO himself talk about these more)

Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back