Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Oct 27, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #6,586 of 11,979
Finally decided to take a chance and get the SSRs. I tend to enjoy a more neutral sound sig and I've found that I usually listen at lower volume levels than most, so reading the past few posts about these really peaked my interest. After spending some time with them, I'm really glad I gave them a chance. I've yet to have issues with the higher frequencies and have been enjoying their unique sound compared to my other iems. I still prefer the Tin T2 plus as an all rounder, but I'm very happy to make room for the SSRs.

Attachments

• 20201027_140229.jpg
    20201027_140229.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #6,587 of 11,979
Finally decided to take a chance and get the SSRs. I tend to enjoy a more neutral sound sig and I've found that I usually listen at lower volume levels than most, so reading the past few posts about these really peaked my interest. After spending some time with them, I'm really glad I gave them a chance. I've yet to have issues with the higher frequencies and have been enjoying their unique sound compared to my other iems. I still prefer the Tin T2 plus as an all rounder, but I'm very happy to make room for the SSRs.

Glad you took the chance on them, instead of just following the herd.

33ABB30F-E8D1-4C55-AFAF-E7C3617BA778.jpeg

Oct 28, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #6,589 of 11,979
It’s too bad that interest in this set got immediately killed off due to the catchy nickname given to it by a popular reviewer.

Oh well, people who miss out on a diamond in the rough based on the opinion of 1 single person in over 7 billion people is their loss.
That's why you should trust your own ears and not some popular reviewer on the internet.

I have seen these called "shouty" and "bass-free". However, I don't find them shouty and they definitely have bass - it's just not the main characteristic of the sound.

Everyone's ears are different and different IEMs suit different people. A review is just someone's opinion.

Of course, if something gets a lot of unanimously bad reviews then it's probably better to heed the warning. However, it's often better to trust your own ears and make up your own mind.
Looking at the curves on the reviewer you're both referencing, it would appear that the SSR is an attempt at warming up a diffuse field target, or maybe even a free field target. That's the kind of territory that Sennheiser (HD800S) and AKG (K702, etc) have continued to dabble in with high-end open back designs, with mixed success.

Assuming that they're a fairly open design, doesn't that still has the potential to be a picky IEM based on fitment and inner ear anatomy? Would you recommend it as an introduction to that sound signature, and as one that's a more modern take ala the HD800S?

Oct 28, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #6,593 of 11,979
He tried a $40 headphone. What an alpha wolf...

You guys here are ridiculous sometimes :)

I was wondering when the fanbois were going to show up haha

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #6,594 of 11,979
I was wondering when the fanbois were going to show up haha
I show up, but decided not to take action of his comment since it doesn't deserve more attention 😬

Oct 29, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #6,595 of 11,979
Just receive my illumination yesterday.
A quite nice DD IEM to be sure.
The mid/vocal is very pronounced.
The detail is not quite there, maybe the micro detail.
The treble is okay especially if using more powerful source.
Definitely want more bass out of these,,

Anyone have any good budget recommendation for a cable for this preferebly a warmer/increase bass one?

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #6,596 of 11,979

Attachments

• fishing-clipart-34.png
    fishing-clipart-34.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 0
Oct 29, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #6,598 of 11,979
Just my preference, not a fan of EQ.
And also it is because I don't like the stock cable..
the changable plug is too stiff and not quite durable IMO.

Oct 29, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #6,599 of 11,979
Just receive my illumination yesterday.
A quite nice DD IEM to be sure.
The mid/vocal is very pronounced.
The detail is not quite there, maybe the micro detail.
The treble is okay especially if using more powerful source.
Definitely want more bass out of these,,

Anyone have any good budget recommendation for a cable for this preferebly a warmer/increase bass one?

The Litz 7N copper is amazing to make IEMs warmer/increase the bass, but unfortunately it's priced at €160.

Someone else knows a budget cable? I'd be interested as well! Sometimes i'm afraid to damage my Litz cables

Oct 29, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #6,600 of 11,979
The Litz 7N copper is amazing to make IEMs warmer/increase the bass, but unfortunately it's priced at €160.

Someone else knows a budget cable? I'd be interested as well! Sometimes i'm afraid to damage my Litz cables

The Faaeal copper cable. Bargain of the Year

Users who are viewing this thread

Back