Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Mar 26, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #4,801 of 12,003
Try comparing a good perform ANC to isolating iems on the airplane and on the train. Those shallow fit iems do not isolate enough, you will hear noise (just that you are probably not aware the noise level because you are used to it, but if you compare it's obvious). Triple flange deep insertion Ety come closest, but none will be comparable to (a good, not crappy) ANC. APP is ANC and Sony ANC iems seems to be more of a gimmic than real NC.
I agree, that Sony TWS that I have - delivers most of the noise reduction by deep fit isolation, and ANC adds maybe another 15db on top of that. Having used Eymotics before switching to se846, I can say that Shure is close and allows me to enjoy music on low listening levels(about 15db lower than all my friends- I'm quiet listener) and watching trains "silently" zooming by. I have heard good ANC, like Bose and agree, ANC there is impressive as well as probably Airpods pro, but I'm one of those freaks who switched from Spotify because of OGG Vorbis compression artifacts on the upper treble. So re-encoding artifacts from MP3 or from not optimized FLAC - to AAC - make that setup a non-starter for me, even though Samsung supports AAC. Also, ANC tends to cause fatigue.
All of that said, I need to drive it down to 2 points:
1. Your comparison with Etymotics isolation got my attention. I now am going to research and try some of that new generation ANC iems.
2. I'm not giving up on Blessing 2 ability to isolate. It's filled up with resin and insertion is fairly deep, so I will investigate if whatever compromises isolation is fixable. It's worth it for me, because out of my large collection of IEMs - Bl2 treble is my favorite. Amazingly, I can hear Google music mp3 treble artifacts with it, but they don't detract much from musicality. And that comparison includes ier-M9. (IMR Rah I'm still experimenting with, it's promising albeit excessively bassy..)

Mar 27, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #4,803 of 12,003
Had a discussion with Moondrop.

The S8 has an outer shell that is 3D printed, but unlike the Blessing 2, the inner tubes are separate PVC sound tubes (in the Blessing 2 they are part of the 3D printed shell). The insides are manually filled with UV resin.

For me this is a hard pass. I'm concerned about both the weight, the impossibility of a reshell later down the road, and the possible variance that comes with these steps.

Since the blessing 2 came out later, I suspect they are gradually moving to end to end 3D printed shell + tube for both cost and consistency, but the S8 came out a few months earlier and didn't make the cut.

Mar 27, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #4,804 of 12,003
tbf, no one is complaining about the weight of S8 so far. Because it's going to be similar weight with other resin shell iem.

Mar 27, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #4,805 of 12,003
Had a discussion with Moondrop.

The S8 has an outer shell that is 3D printed, but unlike the Blessing 2, the inner tubes are separate PVC sound tubes (in the Blessing 2 they are part of the 3D printed shell). The insides are manually filled with UV resin.

For me this is a hard pass. I'm concerned about both the weight, the impossibility of a reshell later down the road, and the possible variance that comes with these steps.

Since the blessing 2 came out later, I suspect they are gradually moving to end to end 3D printed shell + tube for both cost and consistency, but the S8 came out a few months earlier and didn't make the cut.

One of the reasons I find the S8 so comfortable is its light weight.

Mar 27, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #4,807 of 12,003
My t800 has a full 3d uv resin shell and tube. i love it. Its not really weighty but its much more stable and can not crack. I think in the future we will see more builds like that

Mar 27, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #4,808 of 12,003
The S8 is lighter and smaller than the Blessing2. Comfortwise, S8 is one of the best I ever tried. I only tried one so can't comment on variance.
That size aspect is not possible. Moondrop claimed to me that while the S8 is smaller than the A8, the S8 and Blessing 2 have the exact same outer shell shape wise, only the mechanics of the internal tubing is different. Considering the extra resin in the S8 that the Blessing2 does not have, I think it is likely that the S8 is heavier all other things being close.
tbf, no one is complaining about the weight of S8 so far. Because it's going to be similar weight with other resin shell iem.
Resin shells are common, but I don't think resin filled shells are common in the IEM community, at least when I made diems filling the shells with resin was usually explicitly recommended against, since it might impact vented BAs.

If you look at examples of broken Blessing 2s where the face plate fell off:
b2.jpg

b22.jpg

They do not appear to be resin filled in the sense the S8 is, as in the existing resin seems to be part of the original shell, and no additional resin was added for visual effect.

My suspicion is that they were not able to reliably print small features like the tubing when the S8 was refreshed, and were only able to figure out the kinks by the time the Blessing 2 was released.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #4,810 of 12,003
That size aspect is not possible. Moondrop claimed to me that while the S8 is smaller than the A8, the S8 and Blessing 2 have the exact same outer shell shape wise, only the mechanics of the internal tubing is different. Considering the extra resin in the S8 that the Blessing2 does not have, I think it is likely that the S8 is heavier all other things being close.

Resin shells are common, but I don't think resin filled shells are common in the IEM community, at least when I made diems filling the shells with resin was usually explicitly recommended against, since it might impact vented BAs.

They do not appear to be resin filled in the sense the S8 is, as in the existing resin seems to be part of the original shell, and no additional resin was added for visual effect.

My suspicion is that they were not able to reliably print small features like the tubing when the S8 was refreshed, and were only able to figure out the kinks by the time the Blessing 2 was released.
Tbh, I have known B2 isn't resin filled since the faceplate on mine also fell off. But imho, if they are going to fill resin on B2, it's going to be impossible since it has DD inside & it will be too heavy for the ear since it already have metal facelplate.

Also, iirc, S8 doesn't have any vent because they didn't use vented BA inside so that's why they can fill resin in it. For the size, I had seen someone pointed out that s8 does have a little smaller shell than B2.

According to moondrop, A8 does have bigger shell, but because they receive a lot of complain on mainland China, they decided to make S8's shell smaller.

Just fyi, I have full resin iem too with BA inside last time but they aren't heavier than B2. Also if you want to compare them with Starfield/KXXS, the full resin filled iem still lighter than those with metal housing Iems.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #4,811 of 12,003

b2.jpg
b22.jpg

Sorry if I didn't made myself clear:
I have first hand experience. I tried and demoed them at the store. Both S8 and B2, S8 is lighter and smaller. This is not speculation but real physical encounter. The metal plate on b2 adds most of the weight and space.
The fit is very similar though.

Not all BAs are meant to be vented? Filled resin means stronger build quality and I'm fine with that. I don't think S8 would benefit to be vented, but I'm open to be proven wrong. And Of course you aren't going to fill a iem with a DD inside and that's why B2 is hollow...

Mar 27, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #4,812 of 12,003

b2.jpg
b22.jpg

B2 heavier because DD, resin filled your heart won't stop when you accidentally drop the moon.

Mar 28, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #4,813 of 12,003
So this is weird... My Kanas Pro has started turning orange. It almost looks (and feels) like rust, except it's a weird orange color. It doesn't seem to come off even if I scratch at it. It's happening to both of them, one noticeably more than the other. Any idea what is happening?

Mar 29, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #4,814 of 12,003
So this is weird... My Kanas Pro has started turning orange. It almost looks (and feels) like rust, except it's a weird orange color. It doesn't seem to come off even if I scratch at it. It's happening to both of them, one noticeably more than the other. Any idea what is happening?

Corrosion of the KP shells has been reported more than once but I can't recall mention of an orange color. Presumably it would be iron from either a coating layer or as an impurity of the alloy that would give off this color.

Mar 29, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #4,815 of 12,003
Someone warned us in this thread a while ago that Kanas pro would get rusty after a while. It's just the material used, there is no way around it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back