Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Mar 24, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #4,788 of 12,007
Dd bass slightly north of neutral with good details, soundstage and imaging with forward and airy vocals. Slightly warm with good clarity too.
20200324_082014.jpg

Considering the price tag, I don't expect this to stand head to toe with the Oriolus...but by far (see above pairing) the imaging combo is as good as money can take you for a few hundred dollars!

The Imaging Experience from above (Opus#1. Monster Trumpets Tips) is enough to render me numb, hard to concentrate on anything else.

@Love Music - specific to your request. Knowing we own a 800$ hybrid (vs a 300$), it can never replace the V2. Bass is DD, but don't expect bodied texture (nor a full bodied resonance of an upright bass). I'd say it provides a foundation to best support the rhythm and music in general. For 300$, this will certainly satisfy (Ori v2 still has a bit of advantage). Airy vocals? It gets there but I think there might be other options, but the Blessing 2 makes less of a compromise. It definitely has energy in it. You guys are making me review these! Haha. I have more time now anyways lol

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #4,790 of 12,007
What Cable do you guys that have the Blessing 2 use?
Ironically, I get the best sound to my taste with this cheap $6 KB Ear pure copper:
1585096849957.png

And BTW, Blessing 2 keeps growing on me. Today I tried to switch to FH7 and quickly realized that more effortless and punchy FH7 bass is just not worth the sacrifice. It's possible that burn-in has greater effect on them than I anticipated, but today I don't have any problem with low mids and mid bass tonality anymore. The sound is full and natural, while sound-stage just slightly behind the FH7 and about on par with Roland. It obviously also sounds more open than Roland, while Roland gives little heavier thicker sound and sound stage has little more of a room feel to it.

Mar 24, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #4,791 of 12,007
What Cable do you guys that have the Blessing 2 use?

Stock. Does the job. Imo, tips can really make a difference between "meh, it's alright I guess for 300$" to "wuuut, the praises for imaging and soundstage is no freaking joke!".

@Love Music - further commentary on your prerequisites. I think I've settled with the right tips/fit. Soundstage presentation is pretty good for the price, I'd say it's the hidden trick up is sleeve because it depends on two things: tips and source pairing.

I originally intended to pair this up with the xuelin 1969 tube dap, but would need to send it back due to it being a lemon. As of present, I'm having a kick using these with my good ol Shanling M3 (optimal tonal performance) and the Opus#1 which is plain mad for technical performance (imaging texture, dimensional layering). M3 pairing really brings out the fun sweetness and intimacy singing. Opus#1 lets the imaging flex out a bit and you're basically in for a ride for a 300$ iem.

This is not a TOTL, but it's a big boy iem -- a very mature one at it.

I've basically set a proper sd specific to it, nothing but vocals, jazz, Broadway, some classical and opera. Barely any rock. I'd need to test it with more metal, but with some of my selection, the fast and fury is certainly there. More on that later. Airy isn't the first thing that comes to mind, but overall it has enough vibrancy to make up for it. Hope this helps. Tip rolling out of the way, no regrets in my purchase. Adds to my collection, being a specialty iem with very decent technical qualities for the money.

Mar 25, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #4,792 of 12,007
I’m enjoying the S8 quite a bit, and will write a review at some point in the near future. I had to order some special 2-pin connectors for a final audio silver cable I’m going to use with my S8, and I want to get that done before I start the review process. I’m really happy I took the risk by buying the S8 blind ... the aesthetics initially caught my eye and now the sound has me smiling. Other than the Sennheiser IE 800, this is the most comfortable IEM I’ve owned.

Mar 26, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #4,793 of 12,007
This is not a TOTL, but it's a big boy iem -- a very mature one at it.
It may be not a TOTL, but my ier-M9 and Roland, and Z5 all at least up there if not TOTL - are now not getting much ear-time since I've got Blessing 2.
Also, I forgot to mention that my last impression was based on taped venting holes. Taped it to try using it in New York Subway. Isolation is not in the same league with H40, it04 or T800. Not really usable for commute.
Forgot to remove the tape and for now - not going to. Will wait for complete burn in and then will test if I want to open the vent. So some of the tonality change could be from that.
Most of my listening lately is alternative, art-rock(like Mike Oldfield), Some jazz and swing, soundtrack like music like Ivan Torrent and Two Steps From Hell.
Alternative actually sounds pretty good.
Sound tracks- less so, lacking some oomph. I still prefer Fh7 for that.

"World is slowly falling down" that's how it feels here in NYC. Like that song.

Mar 26, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #4,795 of 12,007
Ugh. I really want something besides Shures for subway isolation.
There is always the audiosense T800, AQ3 and dt200 for isolation

Mar 26, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #4,797 of 12,007
For the subway, I'd recommend noise-cancelling. AirPod Pros are so practical for this purpose. You will get much better coherency than any noise isolation such environments.
I'm actually contemplating new Sony Tws. The problem with it as well as with Airpods, is that both only have native aac support, so not really good for android. SQ will not compare to something like even T800+Btr5.
Ugh. I really want something besides Shures for subway isolation.
ISN H40 was on sale on Drop for $150 and the value is hard to beat, especially for commute.

Mar 26, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #4,798 of 12,007
I'm actually contemplating new Sony Tws. The problem with it as well as with Airpods, is that both only have native aac support, so not really good for android. SQ will not compare to something like even T800+Btr5.
When you are in a high noise environment, reduction of noise will translate to better SQ. General SQ performance will not matter if most of the sounds are being masked by high noise, and that's the point of ANC, increasing coherency in high noise environments. Basically, it's about making out the sounds clearly in high noise environments. There is no LDAC or AptX HD TWS. AAC is good enough. I find APP is very practical due to size, sound response, and ease of usage.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #4,799 of 12,007
I have previous generation Sony noise cancelling flagship wf1000x. It sounds better with iPhone & ipod touch due to apple music having everything in optimized AAC so no recoding from Google mp3 or Spotify OGG that degrades sound. It has highest noise cancelling I've heard. Completely sealed deep fit + anc.
But Shure se846 with triple flange silicon tip trumps it and still has better SQ. What noise? It isolates almost on the level of etys. I could miss train coming to a platform if I'm not looking. No ANC can make up for isolation loss with shallow fit. And on top of that I can use portable dac with iem.
As for aptx hd, I'm happy to disagree, I've seen new generation chi-fi with it already on Amazon.
I was hoping that Blessing2 would be usable For my commute. Dsnuts told me that it's comparable with H40. I don't hold that against him, I guess he didn't ride New York subway:darthsmile:, lucky him. It still isolates well enough to use at work, and getting a lot of ear time where FH7 with its 2 vents and shallow fit, has failed.
IMR Rah sadly in the same category with Sony z5.
:triportsad:
Another one with outstanding isolation is Fearless Roland, as well as any of the Fearless line up. Ibasso am05 is #3 after Etymotic and Shure but BA bass is a deal breaker for commute.
So Blessing2 for me is the most well rounded iem as it turns out....

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #4,800 of 12,007
I have previous generation Sony noise cancelling flagship wf1000x. It sounds better with iPhone & ipod touch due to apple music having everything in optimized AAC so no recoding from Google mp3 or Spotify OGG that degrades sound. It has highest noise cancelling I've heard. Completely sealed deep fit + anc.
But Shure se846 with triple flange silicon tip trumps it and still has better SQ. What noise? It isolates almost on the level of etys. I could miss train coming to a platform if I'm not looking. No ANC can make up for isolation loss with shallow fit. And on top of that I can use portable dac with iem.
As for aptx hd, I'm happy to disagree, I've seen new generation chi-fi with it already on Amazon.
I was hoping that Blessing2 would be usable For my commute. Dsnuts told me that it's comparable with H40. I don't hold that against him, I guess he didn't ride New York subway:darthsmile:, lucky him. It still isolates well enough to use at work, and getting a lot of ear time where FH7 with its 2 vents and shallow fit, has failed.
IMR Rah sadly in the same category with Sony z5.
:triportsad:
Another one with outstanding isolation is Fearless Roland, as well as any of the Fearless line up. Ibasso am05 is #3 after Etymotic and Shure but BA bass is a deal breaker for commute.
So Blessing2 for me is the most well rounded iem as it turns out....
Try comparing a good perform ANC to isolating iems on the airplane and on the train. Those shallow fit iems do not isolate enough, you will hear noise (just that you are probably not aware the noise level because you are used to it, but if you compare it's obvious). Triple flange deep insertion Ety come closest, but none will be comparable to (a good, not crappy) ANC. APP is ANC and Sony ANC iems seems to be more of a gimmic than real NC.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back