Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Mar 17, 2020 at 5:14 AM Post #4,756 of 12,011
Let's put it this way. Finances aside, I'm really not into the highest peak end of this hobby (the andros might be where I'll stop in terms of "budget"). I do favor however well crafted gear that recreates my enjoyment of music, and I feel that a lot of mid-tier stuff provides lots of satisfaction. The more pricier gear I own consists of the following trio: hd660s, elears, and the oriolus mk2.

Too early to say, but I feel like these were the hybrids that I was looking for in terms of upgrade to the flc8s I had while it was on a tour (audition time~1 month).

How the measure up to my senns is a little premature and same with my beloved oriolus. What I can say is that the micro details is on the clinical and accurate side [still getting a "feel" for them]. Mids aren't dry (I happen to have a final audio f7200) that I retrieved from storage. The Blessing 2 is more to my liking in terms of overall flavor.

Here's the exciting part: the beautiful analytic nature of the mids is actually offset by the really fun BASS! I mean these are nowhere the Elears by a longshot, but the overall execution and combination of bass and upper mids is actually refreshing.

Sure, by now, we all have experienced the beauty of hybrids, but this is carving its own niche because I feel like you can have an active linear bass foundation provided by the low end tuning, and the fireworks pretty much comes from the mids. I guess I'll stop there because I'm really enjoying myself Haha :p

Will be back for more impressions.

Thank you :D

I would love to hear a comparison between bl2 and t800 if possible

Mar 17, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #4,757 of 12,011
Thank you :D

I would love to hear a comparison between bl2 and t800 if possible

Oh boy. I'm afraid I can't help. Even if a local buddy of mine has the t800... we ain't gonna meet some time soon... :frowning2:

Mar 17, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #4,758 of 12,011
Hm. wow. got this just now. Spent more time cleaning packaging etc. First strong impressions? Bass is really really good (it's actually present, unlike my expectation). Linear completely all the way down? Too early to say, but it doesn't fall off early at all, its low reach is surprisingly better than expected.

Details are abundant, micro details are certainly there like a magnifying glass. Haven't listened much female vocals yet, but I'm rather excited with the few female jazz tracks I've thrown at it.

I'd be happy to throw comparisons vs. Oriolus v2 or even the HD 660s since I'm a BIG mids-freak. Hopefully this rounds up my needs of collecting a timbre, sweetness, and analytical set of head gear that prevents me from buying a super expensive totl. I can't lay my eggs in one basket! Hard to justify owning more than one TOTL, so I'm just picking away at awesome mid-priced goodies!

Stay tuned. I can relax a bit after this anxious wait.
If you are a mid-freak, go for the Drop 6XX. I think those that like Moondrop sig would like Sennheiser HD6 series sigs.

Mar 17, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #4,760 of 12,011
If you are a mid-freak, go for the Drop 6XX. I think those that like Moondrop sig would like Sennheiser HD6 series sigs.

hd660s is my poison. CYMERA_20200317_085129.jpg
It's true that the 600 series is their love letter to mid lovers. I would still go to iems for vocals. Open backs are really something else tho...

Mar 17, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #4,762 of 12,011
On the 6XX/650 thread somebody said the Kanas Pro the the iem version of the 6XX/650, which I been saying on this thread.

I think that'd be more the "attractive" proposition because the cans you mentioned thirst for a powerful amp. I've gone 660S because of my lifestyle...I just get more freedom around the house for example and not chained down to a sedentary setup. Still, an iem can never recreate the openback experience. Perhaps those who have spent over 2K might disagree with me. I'll be like, I prefer 2K better in pocket - portable, practical, and pretty handy considering today's uncertain economy.

Those that spent over 2K might argue:
"This may be it. I hope you truly enjoy your gear."

And then an endless loop of argument ensues...

(TL;DR: VE ZEN 2.0 earbuds may be your friend. Reviews point that way.)

Mar 17, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #4,763 of 12,011
I think that'd be more the "attractive" proposition because the cans you mentioned thirst for a powerful amp. I've gone 660S because of my lifestyle...I just get more freedom around the house for example and not chained down to a sedentary setup. Still, an iem can never recreate the openback experience. Perhaps those who have spent over 2K might disagree with me. I'll be like, I prefer 2K better in pocket - portable, practical, and pretty handy considering today's uncertain economy.

Those that spent over 2K might argue:
"This may be it. I hope you truly enjoy your gear."

And then an endless loop of argument ensues...

(TL;DR: VE ZEN 2.0 earbuds may be your friend. Reviews point that way.)
Yeah, the 660S drives easier with portable setups. I have good home rig around the 6XX and other headphones. A good tube amp that the 300 ohm Sennheisers sounds good with.

With full-sized, it's about the imaging, and no iem can image like a good full-sized open-back, no matter the setup. If I do some serious listening, it will be with my full-sized setup. I use my KPE in situations wehn I'm out and need to isolate what I listen from others. It's just convenient to carey around. I can't carry around my full-sized rig, and it's open-back. I think wearing full-sized in public makes you look like a doofus.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #4,764 of 12,011
I've been spending more time with the blessing 2 more so than my other cans. Haven't been taking notes but I can easily confirm how all other impressions do resonate with my overall impression of this curious hybrid... which is really is something for the 300$ spent.

Closest next of kin to the hybrid I could think of is the hd660s with some fine differences/ trade-offs. Better imaging, resolution, and timbre on the senns; it's safe to say I'm liking the vocals off of the moondrop. More input to come...

Stay well. Hope this helps to pass time!

Mar 21, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #4,765 of 12,011
A point that gives me hesitation with the Blessing 2 is the use of a paper composite diaphragm for the lows. They do not specify exactly what the composite is, just that it is a paper based one, but my suspicion is that it is paper on mylar. The use of paper gives me pause, since in speakers it is well known the humidity can affect sound, as the diaphragm absorbs moisture it can dampen the response. Of course the 2012 apple earpods also used a paper composite diaphragm, and it was supposedly responsible for the improved lows and mids, so it might be interesting to see how the sound evolved on those.
See teardown: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple+EarPods+Teardown/10501#s38213

I understand that the S8 uses the same shell as the A8, which was supposedly UV resin + hand polishing. Hoping the next iteration will have a 3D printed shell like the Blessing 2, since variance and channel imbalance has been an issue that I have encountered twice in "custom" chi-fi iems.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #4,766 of 12,011
A point that gives me hesitation with the Blessing 2 is the use of a paper composite diaphragm for the lows. They do not specify exactly what the composite is, just that it is a paper based one, but my suspicion is that it is paper on mylar. The use of paper gives me pause, since in speakers it is well known the humidity can affect sound, as the diaphragm absorbs moisture it can dampen the response. Of course the 2012 apple earpods also used a paper composite diaphragm, and it was supposedly responsible for the improved lows and mids, so it might be interesting to see how the sound evolved on those.
See teardown: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple+EarPods+Teardown/10501#s38213

I understand that the S8 uses the same shell as the A8, which was supposedly UV resin + hand polishing. Hoping the next iteration will have a 3D printed shell like the Blessing 2, since variance and channel imbalance has been an issue that I have encountered twice in "custom" chi-fi iems.
So far I haven't encounter any issue on the DD get moisturized with my daily usage of 4-5 hours a day.

Mar 22, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #4,767 of 12,011

So far so good with bass performance -- no issues there. It is alive and kicking.

How good is the resolution ? More fun or more analytic ? Is the bass like it should be whit a ba ?

Resolution has this "je ne sais quoi" quality in it: it is not a miracle solution for 300$, but performs decent when compared to gear nearly twice the price. It's a tricky balance.

Started fooling around. Switch to Ares ii cable; hard to say if there truly is any substantial difference (slightly stronger imaging? tonal change?) but I'll give this a go with my pw no5 cable next time.

Btw, I read the newly Blessing 2 review on the HiFiGo page and I'm actually not agreeing with the assessment at all. I guess new reviewers have to start somewhere (parroting hot keywords won't be enough).

1) This is NOT a U-shaped sound signature. Still early impressions, but you can call this modified Harman or modified N-curve but not the former. There's WAY too much emphasis on upper mids/ female vocals which leads to my second point:

2) I'm really not agreeing with the "lush" comment on vocals. I'd normally associate that descriptive with thicker and richer mids. Blessing 2 is not thick (but not anemic thin). There's a fine balance such that it female vocals are emphasized more so than men's, but is not totally dry and clinical, but is smooth enough not to be sibilant. On this note, I feel like I get more energy on vocals than sheer micro details (like as in more Vocal projection nuances and not the sound of saliva) and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Still though, a part of me still wants a bit more of that saliva but I regress.

I'm rambling. It's really early here. Another thing: tip rolling is also important. Enough to change perception of sound, but surely not enough to make this into a U shaped!
If you had a really wide bored tip, and one that lets it sit more shallower, it does change bass vs mids presentation. Ymmv?

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2020 at 6:05 AM Post #4,768 of 12,011
So far so good with bass performance -- no issues there. It is alive and kicking.

Resolution has this "je ne sais quoi" quality in it: it is not a miracle solution for 300$, but performs decent when compared to gear nearly twice the price. It's a tricky balance.

Started fooling around. Switch to Ares ii cable; hard to say if there truly is any substantial difference (slightly stronger imaging? tonal change?) but I'll give this a go with my pw no5 cable next time.

Btw, I read the newly Blessing 2 review on the HiFiGo page and I'm actually not agreeing with the assessment at all. I guess new reviewers have to start somewhere (parroting hot keywords won't be enough).

1) This is NOT a U-shaped sound signature. Still early impressions, but you can call this modified Harman or modified N-curve but not the former. There's WAY too much emphasis on upper mids/ female vocals which leads to my second point:

2) I'm really not agreeing with the "lush" comment on vocals. I'd normally associate that descriptive with thicker and richer mids. Blessing 2 is not thick (but not anemic thin). There's a fine balance such that it female vocals are emphasized more so than men's, but is not totally dry and clinical, but is smooth enough not to be sibilant. On this note, I feel like I get more energy on vocals than sheer micro details (like as in more Vocal projection nuances and not the sound of saliva) and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Still though, a part of me still wants a bit more of that saliva but I regress.

I'm rambling. It's really early here. Another thing: tip rolling is also important. Enough to change perception of sound, but surely not enough to make this into a U shaped!
If you had a really wide bored tip, and one that lets it sit more shallower, it does change bass vs mids presentation. Ymmv?
Definitely agree with you

Mar 22, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #4,769 of 12,011

The "paper" dome in the tear-down pictures reminds me Sony Bio-Cellulose speakers that were cutting edge while ago. It's indeed similar to paper in its structure as layers of fibers fused together like in paper fibers are glued together. I bet the material is not hydrophilic and therefore is a least of my worry. All chi-fi, ever failed on me - were due to internal crossover components and wiring not protected with Conform-coating or resin - shorted by condensate. Famous BGVP DMG was loosing volume in one or another channel after long listening sessions due to moisture condensate attracted by metal shell. LZ A5 suffered from the same issue. Another one was Revonext. FiiO F9pro however, I used in the gym and never had issue caused by its metal shell, even though I've seen droplets of condensate on the grill. Big companies with experience typically know what they are doing. I have hope for Moondrop in this regard, they've been around...
Also I'm impressed by that 3d printed duct going from the front of the DD splitting in the middle to the back of DD and to the not filled with resin back plate area, that is vented by sizable hole at the corner. I will post magnified picture if I go to work tomorrow, given the order to stay home from NY governor due to pandemic, I still don't know if that happens:triportsad:.
I'm otherwise not ready yet to post my impressions, other than mostly agreeing with @1TrickPony and adding to it, that to me, it has lighter and airier presentation than most of my other iems.
Shout-out to @Dsnuts for recommending it to me. He figured out that that Blessing2 is a solution for my bass and treble fatigue from ISN H40 and he was right. I never get fatigue from it even though it's almost as bright as FiiO FH7! Not to mention that comfort wise it's better than S8p was. I'm so happy that this form-factor is becoming common and popular.

Mar 22, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #4,770 of 12,011
@OwlAudio - mind giving us a tease? The fh7 is on list of iems to check out/ audition. The distance precaution measures only permit me to take local brief jaunts outside. Don't mind the super judgmental aspect of my post. My simplest goal here is to help the curious folk in making informed decisions. That said... I'm curious now! Haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back