Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Mar 10, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #4,742 of 12,011
Just wanted to post a lil warning on how easy it is to chip the moondrop starfields. I don't really baby them, but I chipped them twice already in the one month I had them. The reason they keep chipping is because I have a bad habit of hanging them on the arm of my computer chair. When I do this they swing around and whack on the metal of the chair. I suspect a lot of folks who baby their gear would be appalled by the fact that I do this.

The good news is that they sound good so I don't plan on selling them. This pic is pretty bad but it shows the damage.

IMG_20200310_071919058_2.jpg
Please, for god up there is still playing Plague inc and still loving you, don't do that...

No offense but I really think you should find out a way to store em after listening.

Mar 11, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #4,743 of 12,011
Some sneak peak
IMG_1213.JPG

Mar 13, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #4,744 of 12,011
Hi guys, I just got A8 recently. Would anyone recommend me the best tips for it? I usually despite bright, peaky sound, instead I prefer a more balanced, organic and natural sound instead. Thanks
Btw, Could anyone compare A8 to TOTL iems such as Zeus,Phantom?

Mar 14, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #4,748 of 12,011
Mar 14, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #4,749 of 12,011
@yorosello - any comparison impressions? I know it's early, but very curious about both.

A little short impression:

Bass - more mature, textured, a lighter impact than Starfield but still rumber well and can dig pretty deep
Mid - more refined, rounder, smoother and transparent
Treble - far sharper details with better treble extension, non fatiguing still.
Soundstage is far airier, wider & deeper, making them having better rounder imaging. Starfield is flatter in comparison.
Layering, seperation is also top notch.

Mar 15, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #4,750 of 12,011
My Moondrop Starfield review is here, a little bit late due to the virus outbreak.
https://banbeu.com/moondrop-starfield-review/

*Obligatory Moondrop with DX160 store demo sample picture, although I just bought a new one and only wanted to show a portion of my kidney is similar to this.
20200228_162311.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #4,751 of 12,011
Hm. wow. got this just now. Spent more time cleaning packaging etc. First strong impressions? Bass is really really good (it's actually present, unlike my expectation). Linear completely all the way down? Too early to say, but it doesn't fall off early at all, its low reach is surprisingly better than expected.

Details are abundant, micro details are certainly there like a magnifying glass. Haven't listened much female vocals yet, but I'm rather excited with the few female jazz tracks I've thrown at it.

I'd be happy to throw comparisons vs. Oriolus v2 or even the HD 660s since I'm a BIG mids-freak. Hopefully this rounds up my needs of collecting a timbre, sweetness, and analytical set of head gear that prevents me from buying a super expensive totl. I can't lay my eggs in one basket! Hard to justify owning more than one TOTL, so I'm just picking away at awesome mid-priced goodies!

Stay tuned. I can relax a bit after this anxious wait.

Attachments

• 20200316_131742.jpg
    20200316_131742.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Mar 16, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #4,752 of 12,011
Hm. wow. got this just now. Spent more time cleaning packaging etc. First strong impressions? Bass is really really good (it's actually present, unlike my expectation). Linear completely all the way down? Too early to say, but it doesn't fall off early at all, its low reach is surprisingly better than expected.

Details are abundant, micro details are certainly there like a magnifying glass. Haven't listened much female vocals yet, but I'm rather excited with the few female jazz tracks I've thrown at it.

I'd be happy to throw comparisons vs. Oriolus v2 or even the HD 660s since I'm a BIG mids-freak. Hopefully this rounds up my needs of collecting a timbre, sweetness, and analytical set of head gear that prevents me from buying a super expensive totl. I can't lay my eggs in one basket! Hard to justify owning more than one TOTL, so I'm just picking away at awesome mid-priced goodies!

Stay tuned. I can relax a bit after this anxious wait.
can you compare to other iems ?

Mar 16, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #4,753 of 12,011
can you compare to other iems ?
Lol. I laugh at myself because I've got out of the "game" for sometime. Last thing I've tried (and returned) was the ibasso it-03.

Other iems I've own/ed or auditioned: flc8s, dunus: pre-titan 6 and dn2000 & j version. Oh, aside the Oriolus, also had lz-a4 twice. Let me know how I can help.
I have an idea where things lie in the spectrum - analytical vs fun, warm vs cold, etc. Who knows, might even cough out a review.

Mar 16, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #4,754 of 12,011
Lol. I laugh at myself because I've got out of the "game" for sometime. Last thing I've tried (and returned) was the ibasso it-03.

Other iems I've own/ed or auditioned: flc8s, dunus: pre-titan 6 and dn2000 & j version. Oh, aside the Oriolus, also had lz-a4 twice. Let me know how I can help.
I have an idea where things lie in the spectrum - analytical vs fun, warm vs cold, etc. Who knows, might even cough out a review.
How good is the resolution ? More fun or more analytic ? Is the bass like it should be whit a ba ?

Mar 16, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #4,755 of 12,011
How good is the resolution ? More fun or more analytic ? Is the bass like it should be whit a ba ?

Let's put it this way. Finances aside, I'm really not into the highest peak end of this hobby (the andros might be where I'll stop in terms of "budget"). I do favor however well crafted gear that recreates my enjoyment of music, and I feel that a lot of mid-tier stuff provides lots of satisfaction. The more pricier gear I own consists of the following trio: hd660s, elears, and the oriolus mk2.

Too early to say, but I feel like these were the hybrids that I was looking for in terms of upgrade to the flc8s I had while it was on a tour (audition time~1 month).

How the measure up to my senns is a little premature and same with my beloved oriolus. What I can say is that the micro details is on the clinical and accurate side [still getting a "feel" for them]. Mids aren't dry (I happen to have a final audio f7200) that I retrieved from storage. The Blessing 2 is more to my liking in terms of overall flavor.

Here's the exciting part: the beautiful analytic nature of the mids is actually offset by the really fun BASS! I mean these are nowhere the Elears by a longshot, but the overall execution and combination of bass and upper mids is actually refreshing.

Sure, by now, we all have experienced the beauty of hybrids, but this is carving its own niche because I feel like you can have an active linear bass foundation provided by the low end tuning, and the fireworks pretty much comes from the mids. I guess I'll stop there because I'm really enjoying myself Haha :p

Will be back for more impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back