Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Aug 29, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #3,931 of 11,979
How is this possible? Did Oxygen come out before KXXS? Or the other way around?
Moondrop Kanas and Kanas pro use the same driver, KXXS use the same driver with small modification if i remember right
on the interview with the Moondrop owner the Tanchjim boot was very close to the Moondrop boot, when they asked the owner what he thinks about Tanchjim he said that he likes them and it is very close to them, laughing, the Oxygen is with almost the same tuning as Kanas pro(Oxygen came after the pro), i am sure they work together, very possible to use the same driver as Kanas or modded version of it

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #3,932 of 11,979
I bought the Etymotic ER2XR recently, loved the IEMS. Thing is the KPE sounded damn near the same but with more/better bass. Specfically the mids were just about the same. OCD detail, about the same. Fit WAY better on KPE. ISO same since i use deep insertion flange tips with the KPE.

I never hear anyone make the comparison but KPE is extremely similar to ER2XR. graph (4).png

Aug 29, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #3,933 of 11,979
I bought the Etymotic ER2XR recently, loved the IEMS. Thing is the KPE sounded damn near the same but with more/better bass. Specfically the mids were just about the same. OCD detail, about the same. Fit WAY better on KPE. ISO same since i use deep insertion flange tips with the KPE.

I never hear anyone make the comparison but KPE is extremely similar to ER2XR.
Well, I wouldn't say I hear similarly when I compared to the ER2SE and 4XR. I think there is something to shallow insertion and the large diameter dynamic driver cause more of a dynamic response to my ears, and thus the music more engaging.

Part of the reason why ER series sound a bit narrower in dynamics for me is the fit. Deep insertion is great for moving the peak (by the way, I don't hear the peak on the KPE), but the flanges do not fit well enough for me, and results in thin response.

I also find the dynamic driver type of Moondrop Kanas to be a top performer when it comes to timbre, with much increased transparency.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #3,935 of 11,979
i think they use the same driver but cant be sure

No, the drivers are different. KXXS uses a Diamond Like Carbon (DLC) diaphragm and Oxygen uses a Carbon Nanotube (CNT) diaphragm. I have both and they sound a bit more different than how similarly they graph, when you hear them back to back. While comparing both in my Tanchjim Oxygen review, the bass sounded close in 'Why so serious' at 3:26 minutes (where only low bass is playing). Besides that, the mids character, tonality and treble sounded different to me. How different depends on obsession percentage. Lol! Oxygen sounded a bit more organic in the mids whereas KXXS had a nice sparkly character.

They graph similarly because both companies are trying to tune around the Harman Target curve. All brands tuning around the Harman curve will graph similarly but sound a bit more different.

Though this is spicy and I'm sure it'll start all kinds of speculation and conspiracy theories and you never know which ones are/come true! I'm getting the popcorn. :laughing:

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #3,938 of 11,979
Well, I wouldn't say I hear similarly when I compared to the ER2SE and 4XR. I think there is something to shallow insertion and the large diameter dynamic driver cause more of a dynamic response to my ears, and thus the music more engaging.

Part of the reason why ER series sound a bit narrower in dynamics for me is the fit. Deep insertion is great for moving the peak (by the way, I don't hear the peak on the KPE), but the flanges do not fit well enough for me, and results in thin response.

I also find the dynamic driver type of Moondrop Kanas to be a top performer when it comes to timbre, with much increased transparency.

I don't hear any major peaks with the KPE at all. My preferred way to listen to any iem is deep insertion. Just sounds more pure to me, as if the driver is directly coupled to my eardrum.

Yeah, both, deep insertion and proper tips can move high-treble peaks A LOT. I also use deep insertion and S-size CP100 tips. You can see how that peaks moves up when compared to stock tips on my measured graphs with both set on same distance from tip edge to mic and tip edge position also same distance from nozzle edge. Pair it with deep fit and nozzle vent tape more - just extremely great SQ for single DD ;P

Aug 30, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #3,939 of 11,979
Yeah, both, deep insertion and proper tips can move high-treble peaks A LOT. I also use deep insertion and S-size CP100 tips. You can see how that peaks moves up when compared to stock tips on my measured graphs with both set on same distance from tip edge to mic and tip edge position also same distance from nozzle edge. Pair it with deep fit and nozzle vent tape more - just extremely great SQ for single DD ;P
I tried it, and can't quite get the deeper insertion to seal all that well. Extended nozzle helps, but the tip fit doesn't work out for me. So, I've been using Moondrop stock tips.

But, you bring out interesting point. It's not really that shallow of an insertion due to how extended the nozzle is.

On the other hand, I did experience VE Erlkonig (whopping $5k iem!) which has similar extended nozzle, but oddly in it's case, small spinfits fit well deeper for me.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #3,941 of 11,979
Hello, yes I found it. Would you say it's a big upgrade from KXXS?

Also, have you compared it with other brands of the same price range? E.g. BGVP ES12, Fearless Audio Roland/Lancelot etc.

Thank you!

The Corvette at $60k is a capable car with 500hp, but for those that have the money and want to inch it out with luxury and just that tad bit more performance going from 2.9s to 2.4s 0-60, I would recommend the Lamborghini Hurracan at $300k for those that can afford it.

the Solis is about 5x the price of the KXXS. Same statement as above.The law of diminishing returns hits every industry hard.

Solis does not have the same sound signature as the KXXS or KPE. It's much darker and thicker sounding whereas the KXXS is lighter, and fairly streamlined like water, the SOLIS is like miasma.

I have heard the comparable POLA from Shozy, I didn't have a long time with it to compare that one.

The Solis to me is like quirky $300k Italian car. It is objectively better for sure. Faster, more powerful, can do everything technically better. But it's also quirky to use and has sound quirks as well. It's large and drivers are heavier. My ear fit isn't as easy or as natural with the Solis. I have to readjust every 15-30mins or so and you can tell its a thick chunk hanging out of your ears. As for the sound, it is a beter sounding unit objectively. However, its more picky with music than the KXXS and isn't as tonally welcoming making it slightly choosy. It's not analytical or bright or harsh, its just that the general sound sig with its thicker and darker tonal balance with a sharper roll off at times makes it less adaptive than the KXXS or KPE.

So see my original Vette vs Lambo example. It's exactly that. The Solis is 5x the price and technically better. Mass majority of people would be happy with the Vette/KXXS, its great. However the Solis also more quirky and has less daily use case...just like an italian roadster

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #3,942 of 11,979
Just got my hands on the Kanas Pro. First impression was very good, balanced sound and non-fatiguing, imo much better than DM6. One thing that I noticed that this KPE is quite source demanding, and when I plugged into my LG V20 it shows high impedance headphone and it only show this when the plugged headphone is >50 Ohms whereas the KPE was only 32Ohms according to manafacture specifications.

Sep 2, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #3,944 of 11,979
Hmm yeah the Solis Universal has a pretty large bore guys.

Unless you can use large ear tips as your standard size, this might not be the best fit. I traditionally use medium tips. And the Solis hurts my ear and makes the canals raw feeling after a few hours.

It's honestly really moreso meant for CIEM version unless you have the ear size for large tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back