Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Aug 28, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #3,916 of 11,982
Good to hear! Also could you please compare the soundstage and vocals to your t800?
T800 with this 4,4mm balanced Copper cable: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_1,searchweb201603_60

and the KXXS with ordinary 3,5 mm silver(spc?)/copper with this cable: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_1,searchweb201603_60

both on the Fiio M11 played on Neutron without any effects (no eq or anything like it, just natural) and both using the spinfits CP145. Keep in mind that my KXXS has only gotten about 6 hours of burn in time and that the cables are not comparable in quality.

The vocals are quite similar to each other but the T800 has a more focus on Female vocals and somtimes it is borderline sibilant ( for example on evanescence bring me to life, her voice when she screams is on the way to sibilant) but this makes the female vocals more detailed and more pleasant to listen to. Male vocals are so similar that I believe that they are equal, but due to the more neutral sound signature of the KXXS it makes the vocals (overall) stand out more, in comparison to the bright signature in the T800.

The soundstage on the other hand is much more clear which is better, and I believe it is the T800 listening to music that has a lot things going on ( like Hiroyuki sawano - Zero Eclipse) it makes me feel I am in a consert and it is really an epic feeling, but the KXXS in comparison feels like more like an ordinary room and more dull ( the dull felling might be due to the treble)

However I believe you shouldnt take this 100% as truth as there are too many factors that can change the sound here. For example the cables not only are they in different price range, they have different materials and the biggest factor in the cable might be that the T800 has balanced while the KXXS does not. The balanced cable increased the soundstage of the T800 in comparison to the 3,5mm so the soundstage might not be that huge of a difference if both of them were balanced. And that the KXXS needs a lot more burn in time to sound as it should.

Aug 28, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #3,917 of 11,982
When you burn in iems do you give them a break after like 20 hours? Or can I continue to burn them in until 100 hours? ( For my KXXS)

Aug 28, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #3,918 of 11,982
Put your large music catalog @ loop+shuffle and connect Your DAP with constant power source (USB charging etc.) and leave it playing with moderate volume for about week... meanwhile enjoy your T800 :)
You could use also special "burn-in" sounds like Tara labs burn-in or something else but just music will do fine also.
My KPE settled down after about 90+h.

Aug 28, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #3,919 of 11,982
They are more like sisters, the price is almost irrelevant in that the KXXS is more expensive as it just came out and is taking the original price of the Kanas Pro while the KP is one Drops and discounted. As in, dont add the 45 to the 'value' or it being better, its simply a number due to supply/demand and it being newer.

If you want a smoooother sound sig with less 'stuff' going around (mids and lows not as active or punch), go KXXS

If you more into trance, EDM, or stuff that likes punchy dynamics, go KP.

If you like anime chicks, KXXS. My friend was willing to drop $180 at the show just because the KXXS box had an anime waifu on the front.

In regards to levels of detail and transparency would you single out one over the other?

Aug 28, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #3,920 of 11,982
Put your large music catalog @ loop+shuffle and connect Your DAP with constant power source (USB charging etc.) and leave it playing with moderate volume for about week... meanwhile enjoy your T800 :)
You could use also special "burn-in" sounds like Tara labs burn-in or something else but just music will do fine also.
My KPE settled down after about 90+h.
Thats what i have been doing (except on my lg g7) but is it really Ok for it to play continuously for such a long time?

Aug 28, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #3,921 of 11,982
In regards to levels of detail and transparency would you single out one over the other?

5pI97lLx.jpg

KPE is the Subaru WRX STI

sseq_16_camaro_bodykit_1_1.jpg

40e8f106-5de7-41c4-a3d7-4ac7e1356c64

QQ5krPB.png

KXXS is the Camaro SS

Both are about the same price and in the same tier field.

At first look, the Subaru WRX STI you see on the street is edgier, meaner, sharper, more defined, and has that sports car grille, hood scoop and spoiler. But its also pushing itself to the limit and compensating (boosting) to make performance whereas the Camaro is smoother and with a 6.2L engine under the hood, cruises at 2k RPM to make highway speeds.

--

The KPE on first outlook has sharper details, more put out there, and is more in your face. One of the defining things about reviewing gear is as you get further, you start developing a feel for how much a unit is pushing itself to the limit to try to make the grade level versus one being solidly in it. Like a violin audition, one walks in sweaty and anxious and busts out a great performance with lengthy note executions, it holds certain portions longer for theatrics, and plucks and vibrates their fingers more to really add more oomph but lack confidence and seem to be giving everything to meet the grade. the KXXS is the other auditonee.... struts in confidently and performs without the grand theatrics, they perform smoothly and with more precision strike. No overly vibrant or musical presentation here, just what the song is actually about.

Everything about the KPE is louder, more out there, sharper on the edges, more bass impact. But its the Subaru WRX. It's compensating for its 'ok' chassis platform and small displacement engine with aggressive styling, tuning, and turbo charger. The KPE is great sounding, but to a more enthusiast listener, you will start to find that its much too colorful, overly vibrant, and its sharpness has faults at being not the cleanest (the end portions of sharp hits dont come off nicely, like a chef dousing food too quickly and missing half the black peppers).

The KXXS does not stand out as much at first but that soon changes, it doesn't come forward with grand theatrics, a cool hood scoop and rear wing spoiler to wow the girls in the crowd. On initial listen, it may not seem to be on a technical level better but thats why it is. It has the smoother delicate precision of 'nailing' the note and song feel better. I would consider the KPE less transparent simply because its overly forward mid and bass actual degrade from the original meaning and production of the song and is at times disruptive. It makes for a great IMAX 3D experience as its a more explosive visceral feel. Its cleaner and less standout like the Camaro but still packs serious gear under the hood. The KPEs don't scale overly well with every song, the forward mid and bass starts to drown out details at times, but like a quick pedal click on a Camaro with a 6.2L V8.....the true details are under the hood and the KXXS can when called upon, deliver a better experience than even the KPE

For someone wanting a more vibrant sounding IEM that is punchier, and sharper, go for the KPE. If you're looking for a 'more' neutral sounding IEM with a more precise control of its sonic production without the grand theatrics, go for the KXXS.

---
Edit: Yes, I'm Team Camaro/Vette

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #3,923 of 11,982
Good, I'll take the WRX STI. Hoping for a GTR though.

Both are great, I actually enjoy the KPE with some songs. Neutrality and taking a back seat isn't always the forte of every listener for sure.

Especiously at this $200 price range, a lot of people would probably like the KPE more as its the range of a lot of newcommers that want this hard hitting, mid rippling, bass thumping do it all IEM. The KPE definitely hits a lot of points for first time buyers.

To modern hip/hop / pop listeners, if you were to give a consumer the two IEMs at a show and they had a $200 budget, I think more would walk out with the KPE.

I don't use the KXXS or KPE as active listeners so I actually prefer the more laid back KXXS due to that. I pick up the KXXS more often as I like it as a working/typing IEM while at my desk.

Oh update, tour is very TBD, they are interested in touring stuff, but logistics are hampering atm. Nothing official and no guarantee it will or wont happen.

----------
Update on BORT cable
https://m.shenzhenaudio.com/moondro...pper-professional-earphone-upgrade-cable.html

So yeah, I posted a mini impression about it a few pages back.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/moo...ressions-thread.894139/page-259#post-15140716

Better sounding by a bit yeah but the usability was a no bueno for me.

The cable is a bit overdone/overbuilt and hampers day to day usability for me. The stiff cable hampered me while im working at my desk, I constantly feel it swaying and trying to fit my natural body movements as I move around a bit in my seat.

I put the OG silver cables back on, it tangles up as easy as apple earbuds from 2007 yeah but its also easier to wear and use.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #3,924 of 11,982
T800 with this 4,4mm balanced Copper cable: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_1,searchweb201603_60

and the KXXS with ordinary 3,5 mm silver(spc?)/copper with this cable: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_1,searchweb201603_60

both on the Fiio M11 played on Neutron without any effects (no eq or anything like it, just natural) and both using the spinfits CP145. Keep in mind that my KXXS has only gotten about 6 hours of burn in time and that the cables are not comparable in quality.

The vocals are quite similar to each other but the T800 has a more focus on Female vocals and somtimes it is borderline sibilant ( for example on evanescence bring me to life, her voice when she screams is on the way to sibilant) but this makes the female vocals more detailed and more pleasant to listen to. Male vocals are so similar that I believe that they are equal, but due to the more neutral sound signature of the KXXS it makes the vocals (overall) stand out more, in comparison to the bright signature in the T800.

The soundstage on the other hand is much more clear which is better, and I believe it is the T800 listening to music that has a lot things going on ( like Hiroyuki sawano - Zero Eclipse) it makes me feel I am in a consert and it is really an epic feeling, but the KXXS in comparison feels like more like an ordinary room and more dull ( the dull felling might be due to the treble)

However I believe you shouldnt take this 100% as truth as there are too many factors that can change the sound here. For example the cables not only are they in different price range, they have different materials and the biggest factor in the cable might be that the T800 has balanced while the KXXS does not. The balanced cable increased the soundstage of the T800 in comparison to the 3,5mm so the soundstage might not be that huge of a difference if both of them were balanced. And that the KXXS needs a lot more burn in time to sound as it should.
Thanks alot! very much appreciated for this detailed response as this really will help me make my final decision on whether to buy the jvc fdx1 or t800 as my last iems! I found the kxxs slightly dull aswell and preferred the kanas pro over them. Lastly would you say that these have a lot better clarity then the kxxs aswell?

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #3,926 of 11,982
Thanks alot! very much appreciated for this detailed response as this really will help me make my final decision on whether to buy the jvc fdx1 or t800 as my last iems! I found the kxxs slightly dull aswell and preferred the kanas pro over them. Lastly would you say that these have a lot better clarity then the kxxs aswell?
If you mean the T800, then yes they are a clarity and detail monster. Most would probably think the T800 is the next step up. If you aren't looking for a neutral sound that is

Aug 29, 2019 at 6:54 AM Post #3,927 of 11,982
Oh and I also tested them both on my lg g7 and the kxxs is the better one there. No hiss and respond really well to eq. So I believe if you have a low tier source then the kxxs might be the better for the price and you just need eq to make it sound less dull.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back