Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jul 4, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #3,451 of 11,982
That’s the thing about actual sound preferences where, unlike claims of cable burn-in :p, nobody is ‘wrong’ about how they personally experience music.

There are so many subtle tuning preferences, and when coupled with other components (source, DAC, EQ, tips), and simply music selection .. there is simply no best for everyone / everything.

I can say my X are more enjoyable than Y one minute and then change my mind the next with another song. It’s okay! Also, with so many IEMs there is soo much overlap.

So unless talking about a very specific objective difference it’s mostly subjective comparisons, and discretion should be used when ‘challenging’ opinions :beerchug:

With IEMs, number one priority is to “feel like it was a good purchase” :darthsmile:

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #3,452 of 11,982
hmm sounds interesting for $100 new ? I normally like more laid back sound though. I paid $134 for my KPE slightly used and l'm happy with them.
I get what you mean. I wouldn't say in your face in an aggressive way, it must have a faster driver in it because it's just more real sounding when I A/B the two. The No.3 has much better bass to my ears. especially for classic rock, jazz, acoustic and classical music. has a warmth that the kxxs doesn't. If you bought it you wouldn't regret it. Personally if I could have heard them before it would be a no brainer. I may end up selling my Moondrops now.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #3,453 of 11,982
I get what you mean. I wouldn't say in your face in an aggressive way, it must have a faster driver in it because it's just more real sounding when I A/B the two. The No.3 has much better bass to my ears. especially for classic rock, jazz, acoustic and classical music. has a warmth that the kxxs doesn't. If you bought it you wouldn't regret it. Personally if I could have heard them before it would be a no brainer. I may end up selling my Moondrops now.

Which moondrops ? how many hours ? My buddy is looking for a pair :)

Jul 4, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #3,455 of 11,982
Here's a comparative between KPE and MH755. Now I see why I think MH755 has a bit hot 6-8k. To me, there should be no rise there. It emphasizes the stronger intensity sibilience (chooo, tttt), and that dominates the upper-midrange tonality.

KPE - MH755.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #3,456 of 11,982
Give us a heads up here before you sell them, one of us will take them. I have a balanced 16 core hybrid cable coming for my KPEs but I still want a another pair to keep on the original cable to use with my 3.5mm sources.
Plus I want to hear if they sound any different than the KPEs.

Jul 5, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #3,457 of 11,982
Here they finally are, my thoughts on the Moondrop Kanas Pro -- soon also on Head-Fi. I tested the hype and found it was not even remotely warranted. After the recent rigour in our reviews of the Brainwavz Koel, Sennheiser IE 500 PRO, some verboten stuff, and now the Moondrop Kanas Pro, I fear my blog will dry out soon due to the lack of review supplies.

I agree with your findings that the KPE has a quite strong focus on sub bass and (upper) mids, but after reading your review I think it comes across much worse than it actually is. IMO the KPE is a really, really nice IEM, a very good contender at it's price point.
You give up a little balance for clear, magical (upper) mids that work really well with female vocals, and get a powerful and extended sub bass. Treble is fine, but yes, you do give up a little definition, speed and slam in the upper bass.
I found it to work really well with pop, EDM and also very well with most acoustic and classic music.

I have listened to maybe 30 IEMs in the last months from $20 to $4000 and each had it's strengths and weaknesses.
The KPE stood out for me as special, a little unusual in it's tuning - not the most balanced, but it had that magical floating mid section and weighty sub bass slam.
If that's something you like (I do) its a great contender.

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #3,458 of 11,982
Give us a heads up here before you sell them, one of us will take them. I have a balanced 16 core hybrid cable coming for my KPEs but I still want a another pair to keep on the original cable to use with my 3.5mm sources.
Plus I want to hear if they sound any different than the KPEs.

I am selling mine for $125 if you are interested, they are in excellent condition

Jul 5, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #3,459 of 11,982
Here's a comparative between KPE and MH755. Now I see why I think MH755 has a bit hot 6-8k. To me, there should be no rise there. It emphasizes the stronger intensity sibilience (chooo, tttt), and that dominates the upper-midrange tonality.

Yeah, on graph You can see quantitative difference but keep in mind that that 8kHz area is calibrated to be at that point and depends largerly on insertion depth/IEM distance to mic, which depending on persons physical ear-canal and shape differences will give different result in sound (peaks) heard. The closer to mic/deeper insertion/smaller ear-canal length there is, the further away to higher FR those "peaks" move.
But I agree with Your assesment on MH755 being littlebit "hot" in treble. I`ve been experimenting different filters and mods to reduce it along with little too high 3-4kHz "hill".

Jul 5, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #3,460 of 11,982
I agree with your findings that the KPE has a quite strong focus on sub bass and (upper) mids, but after reading your review I think it comes across much worse than it actually is. IMO the KPE is a really, really nice IEM, a very good contender at it's price point.
You give up a little balance for clear, magical (upper) mids that work really well with female vocals, and get a powerful and extended sub bass. Treble is fine, but yes, you do give up a little definition, speed and slam in the upper bass.
I found it to work really well with pop, EDM and also very well with most acoustic and classic music.

I have listened to maybe 30 IEMs in the last months from $20 to $4000 and each had it's strengths and weaknesses.
The KPE stood out for me as special, a little unusual in it's tuning - not the most balanced, but it had that magical floating mid section and weighty sub bass slam.

kxxs vs kpe. which do you prefer ? and you can compare them

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #3,461 of 11,982

how do you like it mine ar

arives in a few days
i burn in

Jul 5, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #3,462 of 11,982
The KPE is almost universally liked. I suggest you might have an issue in your testing.

[edit] for instance, you say the bass is disjointed. I don't know what that means. To me the KPE has nice sub bass, flat midbass and no mid-bleed. very nice!
Try the Moondrop Crescent at $30. A really good one at 1/6th of the price.

Jul 5, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #3,464 of 11,982
@chickenmoon can't wait for you to compare the tfz no.3 ti to the kpe and oxygen. Do you have any idea when they will arrive? I will make a decision after your thoughts as now I can get the ti version for a bit cheaper price if I decide to.

They're scheduled for delivery tomorrow through Royal Mail 48. They got sent to a wrong sorting facility, then sat there for a week, hopefully they haven't mixed up parcels when relabeling.. What happened with the Flares Pro? I guess you didn't like them and returned them.

Jul 5, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #3,465 of 11,982
Try the Moondrop Crescent at $30. A really good one at 1/6th of the price.

C'est vrai. It does nothing wrong. KPE does, it seems to me.
As for the Crescent being hot in treble. Not through my DAP, with my tips, with my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back