Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jul 6, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #3,481 of 11,979
I'm looking forward to chickenmoon's impressions too. DynamicEars prefers it over ZS10 Pro which IMO is a hella energetic and fun IEM yet a bit artificial but depends on the genre so the value here must be awesome. I'm just not sure about the differences on SQ between Ti x stock to justify the extra money.

Btw, have you tried replacing the filter for a new one and using JVC Spiral dots tips on O2? Oxygen sounds rather good with this combination IMO.

About the filter, I have felt it gets clogged easily and I was needing to add more volume up (70/100) since it was "muffled" on my normal volume (50/100) but... replacing it the clarity/crispness and my standard volume are back. So if you feel something similar I highly recommend changing the filter, the good thing is tanchjim provides a lot of extra pairs in the package.

Just a little correction, i was comparing KPE with tfz no 3 (normal version) and i judge them as a side grade, but for myself i prefer no 3 because thicker / fuller mids and mid bass but also the midbass are too much actually, and detail a bit better than KP, more fun and dynamic overall. But KP has larger soundstage. At the same time before i got my no3, i was playing with ZS10 pro that came around 2 weeks before No 3, no doubt its the best KZ to date but after receive No 3 of course they are on different league, price can tell also. Yes ZS10 pro sounds unnatural, steely sound.

Jul 6, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #3,482 of 11,979
Just a little correction, i was comparing KPE with tfz no 3 (normal version) and i judge them as a side grade, but for myself i prefer no 3 because thicker / fuller mids and mid bass but also the midbass are too much actually, and detail a bit better than KP, more fun and dynamic overall. But KP has larger soundstage. At the same time before i got my no3, i was playing with ZS10 pro that came around 2 weeks before No 3, no doubt its the best KZ to date but after receive No 3 of course they are on different league, price can tell also. Yes ZS10 pro sounds unnatural, steely sound.
Interesting. No 3 seems like a better value than KPE then.

Can we say No 3 is the best DD value we know of currently? I'm curious how it measures as well.

Jul 6, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #3,483 of 11,979

Can we say No 3 is the best DD value we know of currently? I'm curious how it measures as well.

Yes indeed i think so they hold much value inside. Quality that match KP for 60% of the price. But soundwise i can't say its an upgrade to KP, more to sidegrade and user preferences. Different story with TI version that @chickenmoon are getting.

Jul 6, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #3,484 of 11,979

Depends on your preferred signature. As I wrote about my terrible horrible and wrong No 3 review, you can get a more "fun" experience from DMG or Ikko OH1, and the Tin Audio T3 isn't awful either. If someone already has the KPE, the biggest reason to justify spending money on the No 3 (non-TI) would be lighter shells and perhaps more comfort and fit given KPE weight/nozzle challenges.

Jul 6, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #3,485 of 11,979
Yes indeed i think so they hold much value inside. Quality that match KP for 60% of the price. But soundwise i can't say its an upgrade to KP, more to sidegrade and user preferences. Different story with TI version that @chickenmoon are getting.
The general consensus seems to be that, and it's good to point out better values (although I wish I had known earlier, but it takes times to develop a consensus).

How about the Crescent? Any opinions on it if comparing to KPE? Does it seem comparable in SQ as well for $30? Otto Motor thinks highly of it's value, but also he thinks MH755 is smooth (which I disagree with).

Jul 6, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #3,486 of 11,979
C'est vrai. It does nothing wrong. KPE does, it seems to me.
As for the Crescent being hot in treble. Not through my DAP, with my tips, with my ears.
And through my DAP, with my tips, with my ears - KPE does nothing wrong :wink: Just sayin...
Now question: What cable did you upgrade those with? I want a black cable for a more low key look when I'm outside. I find the stock cable a bit too flashy.
Stock KPE cable is very HQ wire actually and measure pretty low impedance for such core count/thickness. Soundwise no need to "upgrade" and the nicest looking/feeling/soft cable I currently have (better than IT01 cable imho). But if You are into more "stealth" looks, then take a look at low budget cable thread and ask help from Slater or Hakuzen :wink:

Jul 6, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #3,487 of 11,979
I'm looking forward to chickenmoon's impressions too. DynamicEars prefers it over ZS10 Pro which IMO is a hella energetic and fun IEM yet a bit artificial but depends on the genre so the value here must be awesome. I'm just not sure about the differences on SQ between Ti x stock to justify the extra money.

Btw, have you tried replacing the filter for a new one and using JVC Spiral dots tips on O2? Oxygen sounds rather good with this combination IMO.

About the filter, I have felt it gets clogged easily and I was needing to add more volume up (70/100) since it was "muffled" on my normal volume (50/100) but... replacing it the clarity/crispness and my standard volume are back. So if you feel something similar I highly recommend changing the filter, the good thing is tanchjim provides a lot of extra pairs in the package.
Thanks for the advice I will try those tips out someday. I may just go all out on the no.3 ti because aside from hbb everyone else seem to agree the ti version is better. Look at biosonicr's review.

Btw I just received my repaired kpe and the left side sounding bad issue is still there soo that was a waste of time. :frowning2:

@chickenmoon i feel sorry for your situation hopefully you get your deserved compensation. Btw how do you find the regular no.3 when compared to kpe/oxygen?

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #3,488 of 11,979
And through my DAP, with my tips, with my ears - KPE does nothing wrong :wink: Just sayin...
Thought we agreed some time ago it had a thinnish mid bass or upper mids? Can’t remember now. But something wasn’t right. Did you mod it like @surfgeorge suggested with the tape?

Jul 6, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #3,489 of 11,979
Jul 6, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #3,491 of 11,979
what will change after burn in

For me bass became tighter less bloomy mids came alive with more subtle details and double voices showing. And while the sound stage is not the widest or deepest it becomes holographic layered and alive.
I also find you can really crank them up without the treble and upper mids becoming slightly grainy and crunchy like they were out of the box.

Anyway this post by H3ll@Broke regarding the changes to the midrange after burn in was one of the impressions that made me jump at the KPEs vs all of the other hyped IEMs at the time.
+1 Regarding KP's clarity. Mine is more or less above 150 hrs in and i gotta say, after popping on some spiral dots and listening to some blues tracks by PostModernJukebox, i was severely left in awe at just how clear, powerful and emotional the vocals are. Words are probably not enough to describe how i felt and whatever Moondrop did with the KP, i am simply left dumbfounded at this point. Resolution, overall sound balance, the openness and quality is just off the charts at this price imo. I'm too d**m grateful i went for the KP instead of the DM6 during 11.11. :dt880smile:

Jul 6, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #3,492 of 11,979
All is not lost. I guess the f. Audio f2 is picky about sd cards. I got a new one, installed it in the f2, plugged it into my PC and loaded it with songs that way. It works now. The f2 shows up as usb: f and the tf card shows usb:g. Something I noticed turning it on and off is a relay clicking. I didn't know any daps used relays.

Jul 6, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #3,493 of 11,979
For me bass became tighter less bloomy mids came alive with more subtle details and double voices showing. And while the sound stage is not the widest or deepest it becomes holographic layered and alive.
I also find you can really crank them up without the treble and upper mids becoming slightly grainy and crunchy like they were out of the box.

Anyway this post by H3ll@Broke regarding the changes to the midrange after burn in was one of the impressions that made me jump at the KPEs vs all of the other hyped IEMs at the time.
thats what a wsnt to hear the was is a bit bloomy and not thight at the moment mids are clear but i miss a bit of details coming from my dm6

i put the kxxs 10 ours ago in my closet whit a playlist 1 hour pink noise and 10min silence in brtween

i nerd to do more tip rolling find a good fit is not easy whit these dm6 was like custom fit

Jul 6, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #3,494 of 11,979
thats what a wsnt to hear the was is a bit bloomy and not thight at the moment mids are clear but i miss a bit of details coming from my dm6

i put the kxxs 10 ours ago in my closet whit a playlist 1 hour pink noise and 10min silence in brtween

i nerd to do more tip rolling find a good fit is not easy whit these dm6 was like custom fit

They need an absolute airtight seal more than usual or they lose their magic and tip rolling is a must with them.

Jul 6, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #3,495 of 11,979
They need an absolute airtight seal more than usual or they lose their magic and tip rolling is a must with them.
wich tips are you using

Users who are viewing this thread

Back