Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jul 6, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #3,497 of 11,979
Jul 7, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #3,498 of 11,979
Thanks for the advice I will try those tips out someday. I may just go all out on the no.3 ti because aside from hbb everyone else seem to agree the ti version is better. Look at biosonicr's review.

Btw I just received my repaired kpe and the left side sounding bad issue is still there soo that was a waste of time. :frowning2:

@chickenmoon i feel sorry for your situation hopefully you get your deserved compensation. Btw how do you find the regular no.3 when compared to kpe/oxygen?

Thanks man. I haven't tried the No3 yet, I'll give them a spin sometimes next week. Too bad about your KP. :frowning2:

Jul 7, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #3,501 of 11,979
I’m on a 2 week vacation in China so I decided to buy the KXXS from Taobao. It was $40 cheaper and I received it in only 3 days..a nice change of waiting a couple weeks for an item through AliExpress.

While I don’t have the KPE with me at the moment to do a proper A/B testing, here is my quick initial comparison between the two (based off my memory of the KPE):

KXXS has an ergonomically better fit. With the KPE, I could not use the stock tips without it falling out. With the KXXS, I can use the stock tips, though I still switched out to Spinfit tips anyways. It feels slightly lighter as well. However, I like the feel and look of the stock cable on the KPE better.

Bass is improved on the KXXS. Sub bass is slightly more extended and mid bass is slightly more elevated. KXXS has quicker attack and decay as well.

Mids sound slightly fuller as well. Make vocals are more forward and female vocals are less shouty...which was a common complaint I read about the KPE.

Treble has more extension and has slightly more detail but still maintains the smooth and relaxed characteristics of the KPE making it easy for long listening sessions.

Imaging and soundstage is about the same or maybe slightly better.

I’ll have to do some proper A/B testing when I get home from vacation but my initial reaction is that this is not a true upgrade to the KPE. I enjoy the KXXS a lot, but to me, it’s just a slight improvement over the KPE, which is already a very good IEM in my books. If you already own the KPE, better to upgrade to a more TOTL but if you don’t own the KPE and you’ve been eyeing the KPE or KXXS, I would recommend the KXXS over the KPE.

Attachments

• C81C8B2E-FF04-44B8-B6EF-4D5A3A728ED8.jpeg
    C81C8B2E-FF04-44B8-B6EF-4D5A3A728ED8.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Jul 7, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #3,502 of 11,979
Received the Moondrop Spaceship today via Amazon. Pretty nice to have it available for quick delivery and cheap! $20! Actually ordered this for another user, but he wanted me to try it out first and review before shipping it to him.

Some initial impressions:

Spaceship has nice build. Metal housing that is funky but cool. Reminds me of a very dumbed-down Campfire Comet or 1More Triple/Quad driver. Cable is nice and metal connectors at this price is really nice.

It has a warm, punchy diffuse-field tuning. Clean sound. Average soundstage. Nice clarity and air. Can be a little bright and harsh at times, so caution it for long term fatiguing. Punchy clean bass. Not a great deal of subbass.

Comparison to Final Audio Design E1000 -- Much better build quality on the Spaceship vs the light, cheap plastic housing and cable of the FAD. E1000 has less punchy bass, and generally less bass overall. The treble has a sharp peak which is audible and much more irritating than the Spaceship. Both don't fit super great for me but Spaceship is better. I never do well with bullet IEM designs.

Spaceship wins this initial showdown. More impressions or review later.

FR.png vs E1000.png

P1030447.JPG P1030452.JPG

PS. I also got the Moondrop Shiro Yuki Snow White ear buds today too. They are clean, DF-like but with a little weak bass (as with all earbuds), but good soundstage and clarity.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #3,503 of 11,979
Well I couldn't help myself and ordered a cowon p2 today off amazon. I just have to see what these iem's I have can do. I don't feel to bad though. With the 20% off prime coupon I only paid $499. Cowon discount's their old models a lot. Nice to see that. Hope it sounds good.

Jul 8, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #3,507 of 11,979
... Imaging and soundstage is about the same or maybe slightly better.

I’ll have to do some proper A/B testing when I get home from vacation but my initial reaction is that this is not a true upgrade to the KPE. I enjoy the KXXS a lot, but to me, it’s just a slight improvement over the KPE, which is already a very good IEM in my books. If you already own the KPE, better to upgrade to a more TOTL but if you don’t own the KPE and you’ve been eyeing the KPE or KXXS, I would recommend the KXXS over the KPE.

As of July 8th, the KPE has been pulled down from both Amazon and PenonAudio; If this is permanent, then it would seem that the manufacturer agrees with your assessment. No need for both to exist

Jul 8, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #3,508 of 11,979
I was told that Kanas Pro is discontinued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back