Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Mar 24, 2019 at 4:10 AM Post #1,771 of 11,982
All this tips talk and I will chime in.

I’ve got all if the tips, most of the ones you can think of, and I got the Aria and Crescent a week ago and i have found they are very very picky with tips, the best I have found with them are either the Spiral dots large, and the spinfits double flange cp240 in normal size.

The kanas pro and kanas were also quite picky, got them fit well with some of the cheapest ones i have found on ebay, they come in green/orange and also the spiral dots are good with them too.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #1,772 of 11,982
I recommended the crescent to my brother, which he bought, and they sounded the same ootb as after ~100 hours. However the included tips are not good for the crescent, the treble is abit harsh. With mh755 or mh1 tips they sound great though. Compared to my mh1's(I have 2 pairs, both sound pretty much the same)I feel the the sub- and mid-bass is at a more reasonable level. The midrange has more body which I feel the mh1's are missing. The treble is undoubtedly smoother on the mh1's though. Overall I feel the resolution and soundstage/imaging is better on the crescent. So with the right tips a strong recommendation.

Mar 24, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #1,773 of 11,982
Just received Moondrop Crescent from ebay seller in China. Placed order on March 1---so took a good 3 weeks to get here--not too bad, price was $ 28.49 free shipping. I plugged them into my Cowan Plenue 2 and........ughhhh...these sound horrible. I ALWAYS burn new headphones in for 100 hours or so before I can assess them----the new item needs to get moving and warmed up---totally understand the situation.

Normally I can kind of get an idea of what I just purchased---but this is the first iem that my initial reaction was " of F@#$--these suck!
I just an curious if anyone else had the same reaction---I know I have to burn these things in----but just unpleasantly surprised at the fresh out of the box sound.
I always hook my new toy/item into a ipod I still have and let it hit play on play through all folders and put it in my sock drawer plugged in---let it roll---don't be concerned. for a week---plugged in--continuous loop.
There have been a few iems that really shocked me with the radical sound change during burn in-----was told to NOT listen at all---no need to worry or be concerned at the crazy fluctuations during burn in----just be patient and let the things get all warmed up and functioning properly.

I'm sure these will be great in a week-------was just shocked at the out of the box sound--
wanted to hear if anyone had the same reaction.

I keep sayng --thats it no more headphones, iems.....today I received package number one---five more in transit. I need help---anyone know a good support group? Audiophiles anonymous---

I had completely the opposite experience with Crescent. OotB they were better balanced, for me, than KP. By some margin. Which shocked me considering the price difference and fixed cable etc etc.
It's why I've held onto them (well, that and the fact that they're hardly worth selling on at the pricepoint!)
I don't think Crescent need the burn-in that KP did.

But this kind of post just tells me how much we experience things so differently. It's so waaaay different to my experience. And how any way of measuring, recommending and attempt to quantify and review an IEM is pretty futile.
Like many have said above, tips affect so much how we experience the IEM.
I suggest you keep trying with the tip rolling. Enjoy.

Mar 24, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #1,774 of 11,982
but never heard such a horrible sound--blown out distorted---quite hideous. I seriously thought these were damaged
If they sound horrible and distorted out of the box they are probably defective.

I am currently using my Crescents with tips from Rock Zircon. Those are pretty good tips but can you guys recommend me some other good tips that can be bought separately?

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #1,775 of 11,982
Here are some diffuse field compensated measurements with android+audiotool (still need some fine-tuning calibration and up from 10kHz is unreliable):
9939981_l.jpg

9939982_l.jpg

Just to show how dB scaling affects things, -40 to 40dB scaling:
9939983_l.jpg

Mar 25, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #1,776 of 11,982
Here are some diffuse field compensated measurements with android+audiotool (still need some fine-tuning calibration and up from 10kHz is unreliable):
9939981_l.jpg

9939982_l.jpg

Just to show how dB scaling affects things, -40 to 40dB scaling:
9939983_l.jpg
Interesting! Could you share your raw measurements too?

Mar 25, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #1,777 of 11,982
Interesting! Could you share your raw measurements too?
Will do when I get it calibrated more properly. Atm sub-bass and 4.6kHz peak and 700-900kHz seems tinybit off.
These graphs are with 1/3 smoothing and taken as screenshots. SPL offset needs also adjusting and I can`t get more accurate results up from 10kHz due to program limitations.
Here is my modded IT01 graph with same calibration as KPE graphs provided previously:
9939984_l.jpg

And here is comparison to Otto & crinacle IT01 measurements (Not in same scale! Not without grills! No mods! Not with DF compensation!):
9939259_l.jpg

09FY5Jo.jpg
By my hearing, I think I`m getting close to good calibration as IT01 sounds pretty much what I see in graph - U-shaped with very near to my hearing tolerance with that ~5.5kHz peak (I`m sensitive to 6.2-7.5kHz, also 8kHz can cause issues).

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #1,779 of 11,982
Can you share raw measurements ?
Like I said, will re-calibrate it, then will post also RAW graphs.

I wonder why DF is so "out" nowdays?

Sorry for OT btw. If someone needs more info and has questions, please PM me.

Mar 25, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #1,780 of 11,982
all foam tips are effecting highs unfortunately, even by a little, i can confirm this as i'm really picky about eartips and i have like maybe 30s different kind of eartips, and keep buying, including all that from china, japan imported one like spiral dots, rare radius deep mount tips, final audio type E, accoustone, comply, symbio, spinfit, new bee, sony hybrid, sony triple comfort, sedna (korean imported), not to mention that free tips that came with all my iem collections.
The way you want to compare eartips is easy, not to A-B ing like iem, but to wear different eartips with your left pice and right piece, you will notice the differences especially in high area.

foam tips are best with seal, but their cons is sacrifice highs.

This is right, if you push all the way until the end, highs wont be affected by the foam BUT.. do you know that eartips is meant to resonance the sound, you leave a gap from nozzle mouth by few mm to resonance the sound sonic, this will make bass have space to resonance, and harsh sound to tame or focus (try to shouting with your 2 hands around your mouth making a tube and without, this is an easy example). And most importantly , with right size of bore and that right insertion you will get better soundstage. That is why JVC has their experiments with their spiral dots, their dots is to reduce harshness, adding soundstage. If you put them until the end of the edge of nozzle, you are not using spiral dots at all, youre just use normal rubber to get the seal, wasted your expensive spiral dots. You can always play with that too, feel the differences in soundstage.

I dont quite remember since i dont have their packaging, I found them laying aroung in my audio cupboard so i just cut and use it. S400 is good, because not so tight, they have bigger pores.

Try to burn in dont lose your faith yet, read my KP review. Out of the Box, if i didnt experience with burn in process i would have dissapointed right away and send them back. They sound dull, lifeless out of the box.
It is one of the best review i have ever read , you leave nothing to desire, excellent written bro ,

Mar 26, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #1,782 of 11,982
Hi, can you provide more detail (or pictures) as to how you fill spiral dots with foam? Which type of foam do you use, from other eartips?

Thanks

I did the same, with foam from the MandarinES Symbio tips. Works like a charm. Actually using this treatment for most of my tips now.

Mar 26, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #1,783 of 11,982
Kanas Pro arrived today.

I can see that the manufacturer suggests 100 hours of burn in, and fellow owners here also find noticeable differences after burn in, but I decided to try them on straight out of the box anyway.

First impression: a severe smack in the face from the high mids around 3 kHz or so. A bit of a shock, especially listening to my own mixes and masters that I've done on studio monitors and calibrated headphones. I'm really hoping these calm down a bit in that area with burn in. I'm hearing about 3 dB more emphasis in that area than seems normal. Love the very impressive sub bass reproduction, though.

Tried all the stock tips, the fit wasn't amazing with any of them. I got a perfect seal with the medium stock tips, but with all three sizes, the long nozzles prevented the housing from sitting securely against the ear. It almost feels like these are being held in place only by the ear tips, with no support from the housings or cable. They stick out enough for the cable to not want to naturally sit around the ear.

Spinfit CP145 tips on the way right now, and I'm leaving these for 12 hours of burn in overnight, let's see how things look. Mixed feelings so far.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #1,784 of 11,982
Hi, can you provide more detail (or pictures) as to how you fill spiral dots with foam? Which type of foam do you use, from other eartips?

Thanks
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/moo...ressions-thread.894139/page-118#post-14854060

using the foam tips i linked to, it's just cutting at desired length, and fill.
if you prefer to use no-hole foam, you can follow this guide (with pics):
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/flc...ressions-thread.777158/page-319#post-12778579

Mar 26, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #1,785 of 11,982
Kanas Pro arrived today.

I can see that the manufacturer suggests 100 hours of burn in, and fellow owners here also find noticeable differences after burn in, but I decided to try them on straight out of the box anyway.

First impression: a severe smack in the face from the high mids around 3 kHz or so. A bit of a shock, especially listening to my own mixes and masters that I've done on studio monitors and calibrated headphone. I'm really hoping these calm down a bit in that area with burn in. I'm hearing about 3 dB more emphasis in that area than seems normal. Love the very impressive sub bass reproduction, though.

Tried all the stock tips, the fit wasn't amazing with any of them. I got a perfect seal with the medium stock tips, but with all three sizes, the long nozzles prevented the housing from sitting securely against the ear. It almost feels like these are being held in place only by the ear tips. They stick out enough for the cable to not want to naturally sit around the ear.

Spinfit CP145 tips on the way right now, and I'm leaving these for 12 hours of burn in overnight, let's see how things look. Mixed feelings so far.

Perhaps you could helps with the 'burn in' topic here especially as you are very familiar with some audio that you have spent a lot of time with + you have a critical 'calibrated' ear :)
Take careful note of the faults you mentioned and then give them 100 hours THEN listen back - For myself a big change happened somewhere between 60 -100 hours.
Would be very helpful for others, your experience here..if you want !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back