Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Feb 21, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #1,186 of 11,982
very nice review, i was listening to my ER4S and **** for the last two days and when i switched to the KP i was hit by a wall of sub bass, the difference in the bass response was very obvious, not overwhelming but meaty and dramatic compared to the other two very neutral earphones, reading your review i am glad that i got the Pro version, the regular will be too much for me in the low end

How does Kanas Pro's detail compare to ER4S?

Feb 22, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #1,187 of 11,982
After 3 weeks with Moondrop A8 and getting it recabled with silver I can now be sure these are going to stay with me for long time. Natural balanced sound with really powerful bass. Though to make these IEM be the one for you there's some recommendations:
  • Use wide-bore tips. In my case Spiral Dot from JVC. Stock tips have narrow end - it effects the sound in a bad way and also they smell badly out of the box.
  • Changing cable to the one containing silver will tighten A8's huge bass and add more detailes. Nobunaga Labs Hybrid Odin does well. Lyre Accoustics cable out of the box might seem to be fine, but I'm not going to plug it ever again.
  • Balanced or powerful source is recommended. These IEM are pretty hungry for output power!
    20190221_191411.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #1,189 of 11,982
After 3 weeks with Moondrop A8 and getting it recabled with silver I can now be sure these are going to stay with me for long time. Natural balanced sound with really powerful bass. Though to make these IEM be the one for you there's some recommendations:
  • Use wide-bore tips. In my case Spiral Dot from JVC. Stock tips have narrow end - it effects the sound in a bad way and also they smell badly out of the box.
  • Changing cable to the one containing silver will tighten A8's huge bass and add more detailes. Nobunaga Labs Hybrid Odin does well. Lyre Accoustics cable out of the box might seem to be fine, but I'm not going to plug it ever again.
  • Balanced or powerful source is recommended. These IEM are pretty hungry for output power!

Spiral dots with foam for the win! I also settled my Kanas Pro with Spiral dots in the end. Still burning, currently at 50 hours before i write my impressions. Looking at the graph A8 is really good, i assume like more detailed Kanas Pro with tight punch clean bass. Out of my budget limit though for now..

Feb 22, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #1,190 of 11,982
Spiral dots with foam for the win! I also settled my Kanas Pro with Spiral dots in the end.
I recommend to re-roll tips after about 70+h "burn-in". At first I liked Auvio S-size wide bore, then ultra-wide bore HS-960i tips... but now after 100+h I actually find stock tips very good (I have exactly same ones in red/blue+grey color too) and due to medium size bore, helps to make sub-bass tinybit more extended and punchy. To me, with my ears and gear, KP highs have opened up in clarity and micro-details and maybe even little more prominent (stock nozzle filter), so, using very wide bore tips is now littlebit "too much".
For little extra soundstage expansion and "holographic" sense, recommend to use slightly "thinner" nozzle filter :wink:
By now I think KP doesn`t need anymore front vent hole (micropore+pinhole) modding.
Anyway, curious to see how my KP measures when I get my Dayton mic and get it somewhat calibrated.

Feb 22, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #1,191 of 11,982
Received my IMM-6 and 3D printed a simple coupler tube.
Compared KPE with full Micropore, MP with pinhole and unmodded.
Relative changes are moderate but clearly visible.
Honestly I had expected bigger differences, but seeing as the graph looks distinctly different from the proper measurements, I suppose this has to be taken with a big grain of salt...
NOT CALIBRATED

A4A3452E-F54A-4B4C-B212-C8305CB9EF66.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #1,192 of 11,982
Hi, does bass bleed into mids? Did you find highs somehow sibilant or too bright depending on pairing? They use 4 drivers for mids so may I presume these are midcentric? Thanks

Feb 23, 2019 at 12:39 AM Post #1,194 of 11,982
Hi, does bass bleed into mids? Did you find highs somehow sibilant or too bright depending on pairing? They use 4 drivers for mids so may I presume these are midcentric? Thanks
No, it doesn't. No sibilance at all.
The vocals are clean and intimate. A8 could be midcentric if there was less bass. But it has a HUGE bassy punch including sub-bass

Feb 23, 2019 at 1:07 AM Post #1,195 of 11,982
I recommend to re-roll tips after about 70+h "burn-in". At first I liked Auvio S-size wide bore, then ultra-wide bore HS-960i tips... but now after 100+h I actually find stock tips very good (I have exactly same ones in red/blue+grey color too) and due to medium size bore, helps to make sub-bass tinybit more extended and punchy. To me, with my ears and gear, KP highs have opened up in clarity and micro-details and maybe even little more prominent (stock nozzle filter), so, using very wide bore tips is now littlebit "too much".
For little extra soundstage expansion and "holographic" sense, recommend to use slightly "thinner" nozzle filter :wink:
By now I think KP doesn`t need anymore front vent hole (micropore+pinhole) modding.
Anyway, curious to see how my KP measures when I get my Dayton mic and get it somewhat calibrated.

HOLY S*** BATMAN!!! most of my iems are using spiral dots since Ive been A-Bing tips to many iems and in the end always settled down with JVC spiral dots which give clear mids and clean bass, and smoothing harsh mostly. Never looked back. My Kanas Pro is at around 60 hours now sound signature have been changed from :
0 hours very flat with additional feel like separate stand alone sub bass,
20 hours starts to open every range,
30-40 hours very clear mids, open highs and air, and "building bridge" from mid bass to sub bass (in a good way)
60 hours sub bass has reduced a bit, high mids more forward

all using spiral dots from the starts. I will wait until 100 hours to enjoy it, but my curiousity really cant wait and sometimes listening to my half baked KP, with spiral dots, i got good fit, but too much high mids sometimes if listening in high volume, because of the wide bore, same like original tips i think. i was EQ ing them, bring down a bit high mids and low highs, and add sub bass- mid bass area to my preference. sounds GOOD. but then i just read your post, and tried it, its free anyway and i got so many tips laying around. AND YOU'RE RIGHT BUDDY, using smaller bore made bass more presence, clear and good texture, not bloating bass, and the best of all, I reset all EQ to flat, everything sounddddssss perfect, decent great bass, not over high mids and low highs, everything just balance in a very right amount. Still i adding bass just 2db up, very little bit for more fun, and 1db on mids area, and 16khz for more air. I will give my detail impression later at 100 hours or more.
Oh im using sony tips in the end btw, the one that came with original MH 750 / MH 755, fits are best. Cant thank you enough because you made my day, how to double like that post? :laughing:

the graph shows neutral mids and treble with boosted bass

I believe its very good, balanced with a very great bass as a fun factor.

No, it doesn't. No sibilance at all.
The vocals are clean and intimate. A8 could be midcentric if there was less bass. But it has a HUGE bassy punch including sub-bass

i believe its a clean bass attack that fast and good and well textured. I think i will like it much, but too bad out of my reach right now.

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:59 AM Post #1,196 of 11,982
HOLY S*** BATMAN!!! most of my iems are using spiral dots since Ive been A-Bing tips to many iems and in the end always settled down with JVC spiral dots which give clear mids and clean bass, and smoothing harsh mostly. Never looked back. My Kanas Pro is at around 60 hours now sound signature have been changed from :
30-40 hours very clear mids, open highs and air, and "building bridge" from mid bass to sub bass (in a good way)

all using spiral dots from the starts. I will wait until 100 hours to enjoy it, but my curiousity really cant wait and sometimes listening to my half baked KP, with spiral dots, i got good fit, but too much high mids sometimes if listening in high volume, because of the wide bore, same like original tips i think. i was EQ ing them, bring down a bit high mids and low highs, and add sub bass- mid bass area to my preference. sounds GOOD. but then i just read your post, and tried it, its free anyway and i got so many tips laying around. AND YOU'RE RIGHT BUDDY, using smaller bore made bass more presence, clear and good texture, not bloating bass, and the best of all, I reset all EQ to flat, everything sounddddssss perfect, decent great bass, not over high mids and low highs, everything just balance in a very right amount. Still i adding bass just 2db up, very little bit for more fun, and 1db on mids area, and 16khz for more air. I will give my detail impression later at 100 hours or more.
Oh im using sony tips in the end btw, the one that came with original MH 750 / MH 755, fits are best. Cant thank you enough because you made my day, how to double like that post? :laughing:
Yeah, Sony MH755 tips do good also but for me it is just a tad too much in bass quantity and it has little smaller bore than KP stock tips. But I might have little different result as others due to custom nozzle rings with filters as it has "horn" shape at edge (reducing possible resonances in highs) and stock tips reach over nozzle rings edge about 3mm (+1mm rings thickness), which makes whole nozzle space area ittle longer and larger, resulting little more bass response while same time "expanding" treble area. I actually wish KP had changeable nozzle filter system... who knows, maybe they will improve it when KP sales start to slow down.
Wait for 70-90h burn-in passing and imo sub-bass gets its "punch & power" back again with added micro-details and clarity. YMMV but imho KP has craziest burn-in process I have ever experienced :S luckily after about 90-100h it should settle imo.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 4:50 AM Post #1,197 of 11,982

I believe its very good, balanced with a very great bass as a fun factor.

i believe its a clean bass attack that fast and good and well textured. I think i will like it much, but too bad out of my reach right now.

What source/amp are you using, out of interest? And original cable?

Feb 23, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #1,198 of 11,982
What source/amp are you using, out of interest? And original cable?

currently running on Shanling M2s with original cable that Lyre acoustic, sometimes if on the go and dont want to bring so many things just plug in directly to Xperia XA1 ultra

still need to tip rolling more, tips from MH755 works good, but just try Radius Deep Mount tips, similar results, with slightly better fit, and better treble expansion (more airy), will do more tips rolling later

Feb 23, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #1,199 of 11,982
Received my IMM-6 and 3D printed a simple coupler tube.
Compared KPE with full Micropore, MP with pinhole and unmodded.
Relative changes are moderate but clearly visible.
Honestly I had expected bigger differences, but seeing as the graph looks distinctly different from the proper measurements, I suppose this has to be taken with a big grain of salt...
NOT CALIBRATED

You are seeing a large boost in the lower bass region which is something. That's what I would expect to see based on my measurements I've done on two different measurement rigs.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #1,200 of 11,982
@antdroid ,if You bother to mess with it, could You try 2 layers nylon "mesh" (found on some tea-bags) + 1 layer tea-bag paper between them, with stock silicone tips?
I`m really curious how it measures without any vent hole mods. My Dayton iMM-6 is not shipped yet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back