Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Feb 20, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #1,171 of 11,979
Just got the KPE from Shenzhen audio on Amazon. It took like 1.5 weeks shipping.. wow!. Very fast. The KPE has a tuning I was hoping for. I crank the sub bass on these, pretty much leave everything else flat. The cable is super nice, I love it. I also own the DM6 and the stock cable with those sucks compared. Describing the difference between the KPE and the DM6.. wow, thats a pretty big difference. I can turn the KPE up about 2x louder than the DM6 because of the flat tuning. I'd say mids are more forward on the KPE, but not drastic. No midbass bump, thank god. I hate midbass because it completely interferes with mids.

I like how these respond to EQ as well. Very tunable.

I do not like the size of the ear tubes. They are pretty large but with foam tips, im ok.
they are very responsive to EQ, you can turn them into bass monsters without any problems, i hate boosted mid bass as well, but boosted sub bass, bring it

[merged]

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 20, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #1,172 of 11,979
Just got the KPE from Shenzhen audio on Amazon. It took like 1.5 weeks shipping.. wow!. Very fast. The KPE has a tuning I was hoping for. I crank the sub bass on these, pretty much leave everything else flat. The cable is super nice, I love it. I also own the DM6 and the stock cable with those sucks compared. Describing the difference between the KPE and the DM6.. wow, thats a pretty big difference. I can turn the KPE up about 2x louder than the DM6 because of the flat tuning. I'd say mids are more forward on the KPE, but not drastic. No midbass bump, thank god. I hate midbass because it completely interferes with mids.

I like how these respond to EQ as well. Very tunable.

I do not like the size of the ear tubes. They are pretty large but with foam tips, im ok.

The sound signature? Sounds exactly like JBL studio monitors. Huh, how about that! Flat but detailed and spacious. I can literally play a track and swap the KPE in and out of my ears sitting in the sweet spot of the JBLs at my recording desk and detect NEARLY NO TONAL CHANGE. I have actually never heard IEMs that can do that, or even close.

Dynamic drivers and BAs have really different sound signatures. It's nice to own both actually.

Congrats! Good to hear you are enjoying them!

That last point, the comparison with the JBL Studio Monitors is very interesting, as it provides a point of reference.
Could you repeat that test at different stages of the burn in process?

IMO the KPE change quite a bit an in interesting ways. But TBH you never know if it's your brain or changes in tips, or something else.
With your comparison to the JBL you could maybe verify that a bit more, if you care :)

Cheers!

Feb 20, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #1,173 of 11,979
they are very responsive to EQ, you can turn them into bass monsters without any problems, i hate boosted mid bass as well, but boosted sub bass, bring it

[merged]

So, by not getting Blessing I saved about 215$ (with winter sale discount)? I`m ok with this :)
But interesting that he doesn`t "understand" what some ppl are saying about KP highs as he himself mentioned in KP video that KP could have little further roll-off point from 5kHz and m ore sparkle in upper registry as DM6. I`m @ 100h with my KP and it has definitely changed from OOTB impressions (no brain burn-in involved as I just listened them for short periods with intervals to hear if they change), especially clarity and highs dynamics/micro details and I agree about KP having nothing wrong with it`s tuning after burn-in... but, for my preferences and source gear it could need just a tinybit more clarity/soundstage resolution and highs extension along with tinybit more tight/punchy bass - which luckily can be done pretty easily with nozzle filtering and/or vent filtering mod.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #1,174 of 11,979
Congrats! Good to hear you are enjoying them!

That last point, the comparison with the JBL Studio Monitors is very interesting, as it provides a point of reference.
Could you repeat that test at different stages of the burn in process?

IMO the KPE change quite a bit an in interesting ways. But TBH you never know if it's your brain or changes in tips, or something else.
With your comparison to the JBL you could maybe verify that a bit more, if you care :)

Cheers!

Thats an interesting idea! I wish I could compare this quantitatively somehow. Unfortunately I can't think of a good way, so my ears will have to do for now.

I have a couple other sets of IEMs which have more than 1000 hours on them. They are also 10mm dynamic drivers and I can say without hesitation that sound changes quite a bit after many hours of playback. This actually applies to almost any dynamic driver. Even my Mesa guitar cabinet with 12" celestion vintage 30s has changed DRASTICALLY over the last 15 years I've owned it.

Feb 21, 2019 at 4:30 AM Post #1,175 of 11,979

[merged]

I was considering Blessing before pull out the trigger on Kanas pro, but since Blessing isnt a cheap iem, i decided to go with Kanas Pro as this will be my first Moondrop. So Kanas pro is better than Blessing? For me myself i still prefer DD rather than BA unless the TOTL BAs which is out of my league, above $1000 iem is out of my budget limit. Crinacle iem list put this Blessing at A- tier, same league with Campfire Atlas, but he never listened to Kanas Pro.
Anyone has Blessing with Kanas Pro?

Btw my Kanas Pro arrived 2 days back, open up the box, didnt have a wow effect on me, sounds like studio monitoring iems, flat, no harshness at all, no peaks, no sibilances, just real flat with additional sub bass.BUTTT.. i know this would be changed since I believe in burn in, and so many said that DLC type DD really benefit from burn in process. So i wont give my detail impressions until at least 50 hours. At 20 hours right now, everything seems to opening up, bass is tighting up, very very good signs appears.
Will post my impressions later on, with comparison to EX1000

Feb 21, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #1,176 of 11,979
Btw my Kanas Pro arrived 2 days back, open up the box, didnt have a wow effect on me, sounds like studio monitoring iems, flat, no harshness at all, no peaks, no sibilances, just real flat with additional sub bass.BUTTT.. i know this would be changed since I believe in burn in, and so many said that DLC type DD really benefit from burn in process. So i wont give my detail impressions until at least 50 hours. At 20 hours right now, everything seems to opening up, bass is tighting up, very very good signs appears.
Will post my impressions later on, with comparison to EX1000
I recommend to go past it as somewhere between 50-70h they did "another turn" in sound. For my ears and gear, they haven`t changed noticeably from 90h onwards but I might have earlier "settling-down" than others due to more powerlful amping and using sound-tubes that "mimic" ear-channel chamber size and pressure.

User @vault108 has A8, Blessing and Kanas Pro, maybe talk with him via PM.

Feb 21, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #1,177 of 11,979
I recommend to go past it as somewhere between 50-70h they did "another turn" in sound. For my ears and gear, they haven`t changed noticeably from 90h onwards but I might have earlier "settling-down" than others due to more powerlful amping and using sound-tubes that "mimic" ear-channel chamber size and pressure.

+1 For me also - there was a big change somewhere between 60 and 100 hours with the low end and mids. Later the soundstage became more 3D - Im pushing my burn in over 200 hours but they are now so so good Im not sure I would want to make any more changes :)
Will be interesting to hear comparisons with the EX1000 - (Just bought the younger sister the EX800ST, the main difference being a softer treble) - They are great companions the MDR's and the KP's

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #1,179 of 11,979

User @vault108 has A8, Blessing and Kanas Pro, maybe talk with him via PM.

Right, i believe in it, because from OOTB and 20 hours it made a lot of differences. thats why i wont give my impressions on unmature Kanas Pro

+1 For me also - there was a big change somewhere between 60 and 100 hours with the low end and mids. Later the soundstage became more 3D - Im pushing my burn in over 200 hours but they are now so so good Im not sure I would want to make any more changes :)
Will be interesting to hear comparisons with the EX1000 - (Just bought the younger sister the EX800ST, the main difference being a softer treble) - They are great companions the MDR's and the KP's

Thanks also, will do. if you have EX800ST, its almost the same with EX1000, with "correction" on 6 and 8 khz thats all, only slight differences. Make sure you burn well your EX800 too buddy, my EX1000 is almost 10 years old ,wow, yeah i also surprised just counted it. BTW its not younger sister, it came after the EX1000 and EX600. EX600 is the little brother, more flat and studio reference. Dont let the number deceives you. IMHO EX800ST is correction of EX1000, youre lucky. its rare right now

Kanas Pro really does go to the next level with some time. About 80 hrs. in and has gained breadth and space and some perceived warmth. Highs are now much more "right" than thin. Let's see where it goes from here. I'd be fine with it even if it no longer progresses to somewhere else.

really cant wait until reach that state, the progress is showing good signs.

Feb 21, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #1,181 of 11,979
Is the Blessing still in production? I did not see it in the website. Also, I hate EX800ST tip system. Too easy to fall out, especially when removing them.

Yes i believe they still selling Blessing. What is wrong with EX800ST nozzle? i dont have that problem, or maybe you are using wide bore? i got spiral dots on EX1000 and sitting well there, not so tight, but quite ok

Feb 21, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #1,182 of 11,979
Kanas Pro really does go to the next level with some time. About 80 hrs. in and has gained breadth and space and some perceived warmth. Highs are now much more "right" than thin. Let's see where it goes from here. I'd be fine with it even if it no longer progresses to somewhere else.

Couldn't agree more. It's the airiness, sub bass and 3D instrument placement that really shines. Not sure I'm getting much change now out of burn in at around 60 hours...but who knows.
I'm very happy with it as is. Have the Crescent coming at some point soon.

Feb 21, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #1,183 of 11,979
I posted my view on the regular KANAS here.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/moondrop-kanas-pro.23385/

They have receiver proper 100h burn in, i posted IN the pro showcase and haven't created a item for regular kanas because i believe lot's of people don't even know about the regular one and will discover about them when they reach for the pro showcase.

Feb 21, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #1,184 of 11,979
I posted my view on the regular KANAS here.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/moondrop-kanas-pro.23385/

They have receiver proper 100h burn in, i posted IN the pro showcase and haven't created a item for regular kanas because i believe lot's of people don't even know about the regular one and will discover about them when they reach for the pro showcase.
very nice review, i was listening to my ER4S and **** for the last two days and when i switched to the KP i was hit by a wall of sub bass, the difference in the bass response was very obvious, not overwhelming but meaty and dramatic compared to the other two very neutral earphones, reading your review i am glad that i got the Pro version, the regular will be too much for me in the low end

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back