Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Feb 18, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #1,141 of 11,980
I only listen to the KPE at home so I'd guess it's the humidity. But, how to remove grills safely? The grills are kinda recessed in the nozzle, I'm not sure how to remove it "safely". Also is it easy to put it back once you got it removed?

Yes, it's really weird that only happens on the left side. I'm not using a measurement rig just a mic - Zalman ZM1 attached to a leather cable holder without seal (so no bass) to show the SPL difference between channels when the problem shows up.

Is there a way to claim a warranty case directly to Moondrop? Apparently, there's no e-mail and I can't understand the Chinese cards that came in the box.

Hi there, seems to me you have a faulty driver in your KPE. Hopefully translating the info on the Chinese cards can help you out a bit.

Printed on the cards are the terms and conditions for claiming warranty. A full replacement of a faulty product is available for the first 7 days after receiving the product, and maintenance services will be available for the first 6 months. Warranty claims due to mishandling of the product will not be entertained, including exposing the product to high humidity. So you best not mention that.

Should you believe your case is valid and satisfies the terms listed above, you should contact your seller/distributor. Following their instructions, you should complete the warranty claim form, and send it back to Moondrop along with your product, its original package and your receipt. Maintenance, excluding shipping time, will take 3-15 days.

Feb 18, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #1,142 of 11,980
I received the KPE this weekend. I was afraid of 3 things, the long nozzle, the weight and the "low" bass. But I must say, that the wearing comfort is good and I do not need to adjust them while commuting, due to the long nozzle. A lot of people wrote that the bass is lowish, but I am really happy with how it turned out.

Where did you buy the KPE, and how long did it take to receive?

Feb 18, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #1,143 of 11,980
Does the KP have less or more bass than Crescent? I find the Crescent only adequate. It has good sub-bass but lacking some mid-bass. Details in bass guitars are over shadowed by the sub-bass and I can barely tell various drums apart. While waiting for them to be available on Prime, I'm trying to decide between regular or pro.

Feb 18, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #1,144 of 11,980
Does the KP have less or more bass than Crescent? I find the Crescent only adequate. It has good sub-bass but lacking some mid-bass. Details in bass guitars are over shadowed by the sub-bass and I can barely tell various drums apart. While waiting for them to be available on Prime, I'm trying to decide between regular or pro.
Slightly less quantity, but better details on the KP for me. If you find Crescent lacking impact, then I think nonpro would be better for you.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 2:08 AM Post #1,145 of 11,980
I received the KPE this weekend. I was afraid of 3 things, the long nozzle, the weight and the "low" bass. But I must say, that the wearing comfort is good and I do not need to adjust them while commuting, due to the long nozzle. A lot of people wrote that the bass is lowish, but I am really happy with how it turned out.
For my ears the SpinFits (S) are giving a better seal and bass in comparison to SpiralDots (MS). The cable feels good, no complaints here. I tested the KPE with a 16core cable and could not hear any difference, so I'll stick to the original 8 core cable.
Any chance You have multimeter to measure both cable impedance? My stock KPE measures 0.8 Ohm why I`m thinking making better lower impedance cable (around 0.3 Ohm).
If Your 16-core measures around 0.2-0.3 Ohm, I might leave that plan if You don`t hear difference. Though, how much is Your source gear output impedance? I have it very low, under 0.5 Ohm.

O_o ...are You bass-head? Crecent already has too much mid-bass imo (according to graphs).
But I agree, if You want more "slam", get regular Kanas.

Btw, are You sure You are having good fit and right tips with crescent?

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 3:09 AM Post #1,146 of 11,980

As @CoiL and @drey101 have said above, the regular Kanas would maybe fit your tastes better.
But the KPE might also be an option if you are willing to mod.
It seems to me that the KPE and Kanas have 3 differences:
Housing and cable are different for sure, and I assume that they use a different filter in the front vent of the regular Kanas to increase bass.
That gives you the option to mod the KPE by adding resistance to the front vent, as I have done with the Micropore mod described earlier in this thread.

So if you are willing to experiment, the KPE is back in the game.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #1,147 of 11,980

Don't mind admitting I've been guilty of being a bit critical about the KPE. But after 60 or so hours of burn in, it's changed completely for me. I'm somewhere up on the bass head scale, and I'm finding the bass very pleasing, very textured and probably accurate to the recording. But I have modded like surfgeorge suggested (thanks again for the tip). It's not a thick sounding IEM per se, but no need with the kind of detail and layering you get from it. I'm stopping short of Jon Parker level of orgiastic enthusiasm :wink: - but only cos I don't want to over state how good KPE is too much. But the separation and holographic feel is the best I've heard so far.
So yeah...needs patience and burn in and a good source plus amp...but no need for more bass IMO.

Feb 19, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #1,149 of 11,980
Where did you buy the KPE, and how long did it take to receive?

I used to go with aliexpress but the free shipping took like 2 month to deliver to egypt, and dhl option rated at around 40$ more,

then i tried penon and it was a pleasure, they do express shipping with dhl for like 10$ only, it took around 3 days to arrive to me.

Feb 19, 2019 at 5:03 AM Post #1,150 of 11,980
Feb 19, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #1,151 of 11,980
I used to go with aliexpress but the free shipping took like 2 month to deliver to egypt, and dhl option rated at around 40$ more,

then i tried penon and it was a pleasure, they do express shipping with dhl for like 10$ only, it took around 3 days to arrive to me.

+1. Penon amazing. And ask for low value on parcel for shipping and import taxes...they oblige. If you go with free shipping it usually takes a week-10 days....if you can wait.

Feb 19, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #1,152 of 11,980
Any chance You have multimeter to measure both cable impedance? My stock KPE measures 0.8 Ohm why I`m thinking making better lower impedance cable (around 0.3 Ohm).
If Your 16-core measures around 0.2-0.3 Ohm, I might leave that plan if You don`t hear difference. Though, how much is Your source gear output impedance? I have it very low, under 0.5 Ohm.

Yes, I will make a measurement on the cables and post it here.

Feb 19, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #1,153 of 11,980
Currently testing custom brass nozzle/filter rings (rollable) with different filter materials. Atm using 2-layer tea-bag paper :D

Feb 19, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #1,154 of 11,980

I apologize if I'm missing something here, but afaik regular multimeters have trouble measuring very low resistances and are not accurate below 1 ohm. So when you're measuring the resistance of headphone cables, either the percentage error is very large or what you're reading is just the measurement error. For instance, with my multimeter, using the 400 ohm range, the accuracy is only +/-0.3 ohms if the meter is accurately calibrated, even though the resolution is +/-0.1 ohm.

Usually for sub 1 ohm measurements a special 4 wire ohmmeter is needed or indirect methods are used (eg. ammeter voltmeter method or the voltmeter and known resistor method)

Just my 2 cents, and my physics is getting rusty, so I apologize for any mistakes made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back