Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jan 31, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #766 of 11,979
Yes, surprisingly excellent. I listened with the stock silicone tips first, then when I changed to some bigger foamies -- BAM! Big coherent sound. $30usd free ship for the newer polished brass version with nicer cable. They are much better than my BeyerDT1350, as a stretch comparison. I have been buying cheapy IEMs just experimenting as I've only known regular phones. Got a few stinkers in a row and lucked out with the Crescent. I am curious to hear Moondrops premium efforts hearing how they can get such good sound in a throwaway.
I have also the Kanas and Aria and i definitely like them (theKanas are really excellent, but I am just now to sell them because I cannot find the right position with my tiny ear canals, unfortunately), but I am absolutely IN LOVE with the Crescent.
BTW, I also find the perfect spot with foam eartips.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #767 of 11,979
I know it is not themain topic here now, but I see almost nobody talks about Moondrop Crescent. I just wantedto point out how an AMAZING piece of gear they are. Having a quite big collections of iems starting from cheap KZs going to Tansio Mirai 3 (extremely good!) I just find myself in this moment enjoying the Crescents... probably more than any other pair:L3000:

How good is the crescent? i was thinking to grab one but my logic said that i have KPE on the way so whats the point and i bet sound signature almost the same, only kanas with more mature sound quality, better technical details of course. But if they re really good, must be very great value iem. Oh do you happen have Tin Audio T2? crescent will be good to compare with T2, around same price, both using dynamic driver (although there are 2 pairs 6mm and 10mm in T2), similar hanging down wearing type.

Jan 31, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #768 of 11,979
Hi everyone!

I measured moondrop crescent with Dayton imm-6 + vinyl tube coupler:
AF7ga3T.png

Here is the FR compensated for orathory1990's uSound target:
73aJqZQ.png

Here it is compensated for Harman target:
JbaTlq5.png

What I'm personally hearing - and I'm going to be very, very, very picky - is just a smidgen too much mid-bass and "body". With an EQ designed to compensate for the Harman target:

https://spion.github.io/compensatio...ion=170,-4.0,0.40;2450,3.0,1.70;5980,2.0,2.50

I'm getting a slightly thin sound. I'm not really a fan of the Harman target - it does sound very realistic in vocal/instrumental songs but thin otherwise.

The uSound target EQ compensation is minimal, and nicer!

https://spion.github.io/compensatio...ion=154,-2.0,0.20;2100,2.0,1.00;6000,2.0,2.80

Aside from the slightly excessive midbass, i'm hearing beautiful, inoffensive mids and low-highs, guaranteed to please people who are not fans of excessive 3K peaks; extremely smooth yet detailed treble; OK (sub)bass.

Onto the non-FR characteristics:

The soundstage is adequate for a single-dynamic-driver inear which has clearly been properly dampened to get a natural FR, but nothing too amazing. It is however better than my previous precise budget favorite, the Sony MH1(C). Build quality is really nice, the cable too (microphonics are not bad, but still a bit present).

Verdict: this little thing blows every budget IEM I own away, and will do well against almost anything up to the 150 USD range. I don't really mind the 2-3dB extra body, much more expensive headphones have a lot more of that, but if you want to be *extremely* picky - you will notice it. They have become my daily driver, replacing my best MH1C copy (I own 4, and only one of them has reasonable rather than excessive amounts of bass).

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #770 of 11,979
How good is the crescent? i was thinking to grab one but my logic said that i have KPE on the way so whats the point and i bet sound signature almost the same, only kanas with more mature sound quality, better technical details of course. But if they re really good, must be very great value iem. Oh do you happen have Tin Audio T2? crescent will be good to compare with T2, around same price, both using dynamic driver (although there are 2 pairs 6mm and 10mm in T2), similar hanging down wearing type.
I had the Pro version of the T2 and much prefer the Crescent. The treble on the T2pro was pushed forward and a distraction for me; weird sound on snare, symbols, highhat, sibilant sheen vocals.... Spion above mentions a little too much bass on the Crescent and I hear that as well(usually I go for neutral) For some this will be a good thing.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #771 of 11,979
I'm going to admit something I wasnt expecting, and as always my opinion mat change with time, but, ive been using the kpe pretty much 100% of the time , and finding it tough to get back into my ex1000. I do miss aspects of the ex1k for sure, and the kpe is definitely not my end game iem, I'm thinking of selling both and going a bit higher end again. I am really curious to hear more comparisons to the jvcs mentioned, both 01 and 02. The kpe is a great reason to try chi fi, thats for damn sure

Jan 31, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #772 of 11,979
I'm going to admit something I wasnt expecting, and as always my opinion mat change with time, but, ive been using the kpe pretty much 100% of the time , and finding it tough to get back into my ex1000. I do miss aspects of the ex1k for sure, and the kpe is definitely not my end game iem, I'm thinking of selling both and going a bit higher end again. I am really curious to hear more comparisons to the jvcs mentioned, both 01 and 02. The kpe is a great reason to try chi fi, thats for damn sure

Thanks for sharing! Could you say a little more about what makes you use the KPE more over the EX1000, and what it is you are missing in hte KPE compared to them

Jan 31, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #773 of 11,979
I had the Pro version of the T2 and much prefer the Crescent. The treble on the T2pro was pushed forward and a distraction for me; weird sound on snare, symbols, highhat, sibilant sheen vocals.... Spion above mentions a little too much bass on the Crescent and I hear that as well(usually I go for neutral) For some this will be a good thing.
Is your Crescent the rougher looking model or the shiny looking model? The latter was released a few months after, and it looks to be a different cable, so I'm curious as to whether that makes a difference or not. :)

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #774 of 11,979
Hi everyone!

I measured moondrop crescent with Dayton imm-6 + vinyl tube coupler:
AF7ga3T.png

Here is the FR compensated for orathory1990's uSound target:
73aJqZQ.png

Here it is compensated for Harman target:
JbaTlq5.png

What I'm personally hearing - and I'm going to be very, very, very picky - is just a smidgen too much mid-bass and "body". With an EQ designed to compensate for the Harman target:

https://spion.github.io/compensatio...ion=170,-4.0,0.40;2450,3.0,1.70;5980,2.0,2.50

I'm getting a slightly thin sound. I'm not really a fan of the Harman target - it does sound very realistic in vocal/instrumental songs but thin otherwise.

The uSound target EQ compensation is minimal, and nicer!

https://spion.github.io/compensatio...ion=154,-2.0,0.20;2100,2.0,1.00;6000,2.0,2.80

Aside from the slightly excessive midbass, i'm hearing beautiful, inoffensive mids and low-highs, guaranteed to please people who are not fans of excessive 3K peaks; extremely smooth yet detailed treble; OK (sub)bass.

Onto the non-FR characteristics:

The soundstage is adequate for a single-dynamic-driver inear which has clearly been properly dampened to get a natural FR, but nothing too amazing. It is however better than my previous precise budget favorite, the Sony MH1(C). Build quality is really nice, the cable too (microphonics are not bad, but still a bit present).

Verdict: this little thing blows every budget IEM I own away, and will do well against almost anything up to the 150 USD range. I don't really mind the 2-3dB extra body, much more expensive headphones have a lot more of that, but if you want to be *extremely* picky - you will notice it. They have become my daily driver, replacing my best MH1C copy (I own 4, and only one of them has reasonable rather than excessive amounts of bass).
Absolutely agreed.
I also think that they are one of the absolute best bang for your bucks, much, much more than bestsellers like ZSN to say only one, and much preferable to Tin T2 (which I like) that are even some more expensive.

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #776 of 11,979
Thanks for the detailed reply and the soundstage is a bit of a worry for me for me as I watch a lot of movies and was thinking of buying the latest 12.9 inch iPad pro and getting a cheap portable reciever like the es100 as the iPad has no headphone jack. Have you tried the kpe out of the es100 by any chance? I know iems generally don't have huge soundstage but there are certain iems that are good enough for me when it comes to soundstage but nearly all of them have kinda bad vocals either sounding thin, unclear or recessed.

the only Lightning DAC adapter I tried was part of a 1More Triple IEM, so my impressions are from that combination only, and I found it to be a bit on the harsh side, I think a bit too much tuned for effect rather than natural balance. Treble was a little harsh and bass felt overly emphasized. I replaced the cable to remove the integrated DAC which improved smoothness.

I think everyone agrees that the KPE have a great mid range, smooth, clear and detailed, complemented by smooth treble and strong (albeit not terribly fast or detailed) bass and almost a little too much sub-bass.
But I think it's better to think of them as generally pleasing neutral IEM.
Honestly I was surprised that @antdroid called the bass lean - but it reminded me again that it really depends on what you expect or like.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/moo...pressions-thread.894139/page-50#post-14750452

Feb 1, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #777 of 11,979
The shiny ones. They also look nice imho. The cable is ok.
Nice, thatst the one I was supposed to get as well, and now had to wait another month from a different seller coz the seller sent me this instead xD

IMG_20190128_134820.jpg

I don't know yet what's going to happen with the Nameless I received, as it's still up in the air whether I get to keep the item or not when I filed for a refund. Shop might deem it too much of a hassle to have me ship it back, especially with the CNY ongoing right now.

Thanks for the impressions, that made me more excited to get my own Crescent :)

Feb 1, 2019 at 3:38 AM Post #778 of 11,979
Nice, thatst the one I was supposed to get as well, and now had to wait another month from a different seller coz the seller sent me this instead xD

I don't know yet what's going to happen with the Nameless I received, as it's still up in the air whether I get to keep the item or not when I filed for a refund. Shop might deem it too much of a hassle to have me ship it back, especially with the CNY ongoing right now.

Thanks for the impressions, that made me more excited to get my own Crescent :)
I don’t know what those are, the box is clerly a Moondrop one, but never seen these.

Feb 1, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #779 of 11,979
I don’t know what those are, the box is clerly a Moondrop one, but never seen these.

He mentioned it. lol. Nameless is the name. Its their entry level earbuds

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #780 of 11,979
Moondrop Nameless, in some stores it's the same price as the Moondrop Crescent. It's the cheapest in their earbud line, and in all honesty, it's actually pretty good when I did a short listen. If I don't need to return it, I'll probably use it for a few days and post my impressions here.

However, I was looking for a bullet style iem, and not a midrange/highend earbud (comparatively as earbuds tend to be cheaper than iems). In the store I ordered the Crescent from, it's also almost half the price of the Moondrop Crescent, so I asked them to give me a refund, or allow me to order the Moondrop Crescent again from them at the same price as the product I received (with a slight discount for inconvenience caused)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back