Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jan 30, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #736 of 11,982
Jan 31, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #738 of 11,982
Posted this on reddit and another forum yesterday:

I purchased the Moondrop Kanas Pro last week from Penon Audio and got the IEM in yesterday, along with a free Scarf!

The Kanas Pro -- It’s shiny. The nozzle length is quite long so fit can be a little weird. I was actually a little worried that it would not work with my right ear canal shape, but I found SpinFit CP145 to work well though for me.

Very neutral sound, with slight mid-warmth. Bass is lean but as you will read below, it seems source dependent. Treble extends and is clean and detailed. Mids are smooth. In general, it reminds me of the sound signature of the Campfire Orion but more extended in treble, and generally more balanced.

I played around with different tips, and ended up still settling on the SpinFit CP145 tips. They worked best for fit and seal for me given the lengthy nozzle. Seal is pretty critical on these IEMs.

I've also noticed that source seems to matter a bit too. I did not bring my iFi IEMatch with me today to experiment with OI, but just trying it out on a few different sources seems to exhibit different behaviors.

It sounds rather thin on both my DAPs, the Hidizs AP80 and the Pioneer XDP-300R (with balanced cable). But when I amp up the XDP-300R with the Liquid Spark (using 2.5mm out to RCA in), the low end sounds much more full, and its quite noticeable going back and forth, while leaving the IEMs in my ear, and volume matching.

With the Spark as a source, these things are sounding wonderful, and extremely well balanced. With the Pioneer DAP, it sounded a bit thin. A switch of tips would bring the bass back up, though with a little more discomfort for my ears.

Fingerprints… may drive me mad. But they are pretty, and thus far sound pretty good.

Review to come.

P1020781.JPG

Jan 31, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #739 of 11,982

I purchased the Moondrop Kanas Pro last week from Penon Audio and got the IEM in yesterday, along with a free Scarf!

The Kanas Pro -- It’s shiny. The nozzle length is quite long so fit can be a little weird. I was actually a little worried that it would not work with my right ear canal shape, but I found SpinFit CP145 to work well though for me.

Very neutral sound, with slight mid-warmth. Bass is lean but as you will read below, it seems source dependent. Treble extends and is clean and detailed. Mids are smooth. In general, it reminds me of the sound signature of the Campfire Orion but more extended in treble, and generally more balanced.

I played around with different tips, and ended up still settling on the SpinFit CP145 tips. They worked best for fit and seal for me given the lengthy nozzle. Seal is pretty critical on these IEMs.

I've also noticed that source seems to matter a bit too. I did not bring my iFi IEMatch with me today to experiment with OI, but just trying it out on a few different sources seems to exhibit different behaviors.

It sounds rather thin on both my DAPs, the Hidizs AP80 and the Pioneer XDP-300R (with balanced cable). But when I amp up the XDP-300R with the Liquid Spark (using 2.5mm out to RCA in), the low end sounds much more full, and its quite noticeable going back and forth, while leaving the IEMs in my ear, and volume matching.

With the Spark as a source, these things are sounding wonderful, and extremely well balanced. With the Pioneer DAP, it sounded a bit thin. A switch of tips would bring the bass back up, though with a little more discomfort for my ears.

Fingerprints… may drive me mad. But they are pretty, and thus far sound pretty good.

Review to come.

Thanks for the impressions...Btw what would be your go to for an iem that has clear, full vocals (especially male vocals and not recessed at all) and has a big soundstage under 200 USD be?

Jan 31, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #741 of 11,982
I am now using KP with back vents blocked and will probably keep it that way. Mids are even more incredible but bass is still strongly present when called for and has better balance between sub-bass and mid-bass. I can push em loud enough to get upper mids to my taste without having too much bass at the same time and I have less contrast between thin and thick tracks. :)

Jan 31, 2019 at 4:08 AM Post #742 of 11,982
Someone in this thread mentioned they really liked the sound of using the Kanas Pro cable on the regular Kanas...someone else tried that? I have both Pro and regular ordered, but it will be some time before they arrive.

Jan 31, 2019 at 4:34 AM Post #743 of 11,982

Review to come.

I have the regular Kanas and I find it extremely good, but I agree about the long nozzle being weird for me, so I am considering selling them for someone interested with no ear canal tight as mines. Actually brand new, since I just made some tip rolling without finding my hotspot with them.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #744 of 11,982
The trick with these longer nozzle IEMs is to try lower tip sizes than normal.

Jan 31, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #747 of 11,982
Thanks for the impressions...Btw what would be your go to for an iem that has clear, full vocals (especially male vocals and not recessed at all) and has a big soundstage under 200 USD be?
IMO the KPE ticks all those boxes.
I think everyone agreed that they have excellent mids. I got the impression that they got quite a bit better during burn in, also moving forward. At first I found them a bit recessed, now they are slightly forward.
Soundstage feedback is a little mixes, from average to good, i find it very good with the Mojo, much less with cheaper sources.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #748 of 11,982
I have that one as well. I'll play with the 02 first though

Looking forward to your impressions!
One wish, could you tell more about specific impressions you get when listening to your review item?
I always found references to specific tracks with descriptions very useful as well as direct comparisons of specific characteristics with other IEMs.
Especially direct comparison to the KPE would be great! I am very curious...
Thanks for your great work! I think you are the most productive IEM reviewer in the world :)

Jan 31, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #749 of 11,982

Review to come.

Can you compare vocal intimacy in p4 pro and KPE ?

Jan 31, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #750 of 11,982
I am now using KP with back vents blocked and will probably keep it that way. Mids are even more incredible but bass is still strongly present when called for and has better balance between sub-bass and mid-bass. I can push em loud enough to get upper mids to my taste without having too much bass at the same time and I have less contrast between thin and thick tracks. :)
I had a sneaky feeling back then that the kpe could benefit from vent blocking but be careful as I think i damaged my kc07 that way recently as the iem would lose complete sound on left ear if I pressed it in a bit too hard and it suffered from channel imbalance after I did the tape mod. I am not sure if it was the tape mod or the iem itself but that is why I returned it back and will try and get the kpe as replacement.

@surfgeorge thanks for the info and could possibly describe the soundstage to me coming out of your smartphone?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Fusi
Back