Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jan 26, 2019 at 6:10 AM Post #706 of 11,982
So going back and fourth between the sony ex1000, and the kanas pro, balanced out of my sony zx300, im having a difficult time here comparing them properly. Certain songs I'm missing one element on one of them, and the other performs to a more pleasing degree. But then, boom, it switches. I honestly am so intrigued by this and wish I could find the perfect blend between these two, even if it means selling both and spending quite a bit more. The air and soundstage, as well as the imaging on the ex1k is just unmatched for an iem near its price point. The treble is so detailed although some can find it bright. The lower end is the same amount of detail with less heft.

Then you have the kanas pro, with treble that can sizzle, even though its kind of rolled off. But you have these amazingly detailed mids, that arent forward, theyre balanced in the mix, but are very resolving and enjoyable. And the low end is like the ex1k kind of, but more heft and less detail.

Damnit, what does these 2 combined cost?????
The best combination of both is JVC FD02 - the bass quality and quantity is on the same level like EX1000 and the highs are perfect extended without peaks.
The highlight are the mids - but they are more forwarding with a lot of energy - therefore several people could find them fatiguing.
Resolution is better than EX1000 and KPE (JVC have a new developed DLC driver 11mm)

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #707 of 11,982
Could you compare KPE to P1 ?
I think I could find time next week.
Maybe send me the name of some tracks you like (you can PM me) and I can find them on Tidal and describe the difference as I hear them.

I did a quick experiment - subjective frequency response comparison between the KPE and the P1, using an online frequency generator and sweeping the frequency band.
http://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

The P1 response startes around 20Hz and slopes up smoothely to about 200, from there it seems flat, or maybe gently sloping up, then a moderate peak at 3kHz, a stronger one at 5kHz, and a pretty strong one at 8kHz and another strong one at 12kHz. So quite an uneven frequency response and strong peaks in the treble region. These subjective impressions match quite well with the diagram I found online. (I used MandarinEs Hybrid tips)
8695725.jpg
The KPE also starts around 20Hz, but slopes up steeper in sub bass ad starts reaching a high energy at around 100Hz, from there on it is very smooth until about 2kHz then ramps up smoothely to a moderate 4kHz peak, falls off a bit afterwards to ramp up to another peak in the 9-10kHz region, then slopes down to about 15kHz where the limit of my hearing is reached. The peaks and valleys are definitely less pronounced than in the P1, and the transitions are smoother. And my subjective impression match quite well the "subjective impression" diagram I found online, except that I can't hear the dip at 3kHz (I hear a steady increase from 2-4kHz) and I can't hear the dip at 10kHz, for me this is one peak from 9-10. Fro reference I am including the measured frequency response from headflux. All through my custom silicone tips.
MoonDrop_Kanas_Pro.pngMoonDrop-Kanas-Pro-Edition-web-1649x817.png
Generally the KPE has the much smoother frequency response from 2KHz up, and the peaks and valleys are much smaller than what I hear with the P1.
(I also had to get out my NightOwl HP and it has an even smoother response than the KPE, with only a small peak around 2,5...3kHz and one moderately strong, wide peak around 10-11kHz)

It's only one part of the equation, but the KPE seems to be doing a very good job in this aspect.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #708 of 11,982
Jan 26, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #709 of 11,982
@surfgeorge that KP graph You posted is already user made subjective FR graph not real measurement (read up right).
For more accurate FR measurements check out my post with different measurement results @ KP: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/moo...pressions-thread.894139/page-19#post-14707206
Thanks for pointing it out - I am fully aware that it is a subjective response graph, but I should have pointed it out.
The core finding for me is the smooth frequency response of the KPE in comparison to the spiky treble of the P1.

Jan 26, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #710 of 11,982
The best combination of both is JVC FD02 - the bass quality and quantity is on the same level like EX1000 and the highs are perfect extended without peaks.
The highlight are the mids - but they are more forwarding with a lot of energy - therefore several people could find them fatiguing.
Resolution is better than EX1000 and KPE (JVC have a new developed DLC driver 11mm)

I think you told me that before, so thank you I will definitely look into those! Been a long time since I owned anything jvc.

Jan 27, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #712 of 11,982
I think you told me that before, so thank you I will definitely look into those! Been a long time since I owned anything jvc.

I think I'll be going the same way and get a JVC HA-FD01...
Update: asked a friend to help me buy some in Japan :ksc75smile:
Excited!

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #713 of 11,982
Jan 27, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #714 of 11,982
Jan 27, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #715 of 11,982
Is there kanas pro a good match for rock and metal?

Jan 27, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #718 of 11,982
I'm honestly quite stuck between the DM6 and the Kanas Pro. Can anyone help me decide which of the two would be the best bang for the buck?

Almost impossible to say...If you are 'new' to the world of high end audio/gear I would go for the DM6
If you have a lot of experience you may appreciate the Kanas pro more?
The DM6 has more re-sale value if you dont like it ?

Jan 27, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #720 of 11,982
Is there kanas pro a good match for rock and metal?

Kind of but itll really depend on the recordings. They can make guitars sound very detailed without being forward. Kick drums can be absolutely a blast to listen to on the kpe as well. But, just like the ex1k, they arent forgiving at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back