Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jan 8, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #271 of 11,979
is Dm6 definitely better than KPE?

Jan 8, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #274 of 11,979
is Dm6 definitely better than KPE?
Completely different sound signature I would say. Depends on your preference. :)
I think I´m selling my DM6 to buy KPE or maybe IT01S..

Jan 8, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #276 of 11,979
Completely different sound signature I would say. Depends on your preference. :)
Mmmh, owning both, a DM6 and a KP I would not want to be without one or the other atm. Still burning in the KP. The DM6 definitely is a keeper for me... Whether the KP or the IT01S is the better choice seems open to what I have read to date. But at least the solidity (in the sense of beautifully heavy weight) of the KP is hard to beat...

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #277 of 11,979

What factor does put you off from DM6?

Mmmh, owning both, a DM6 and a KP I would not want to be without one or the other atm. Still burning in the KP. The DM6 definitely is a keeper for me... Whether the KP or the IT01S is the better choice seems open to what I have read to date. But at least the solidity (in the sense of beautifully heavy weight) of the KP is hard to beat...
Which one has bigger soundstage, detail, clarity, tonality? I was put a side DM6 from my shortlist because of all BA setup, I've never satisfied with BA's bass because i feel it too "dry" compared to DD bass, never tried TOTL BA bass though. I really need to stop buying iems and after all $200 tier iems isnt cheap for me, cant buy easily everytime.

Jan 8, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #278 of 11,979

Is the dm6 really that great? Its so hard to tell because its such a "hype train" iem. Im still somewhat jnterested in them due to it being all BA , so it would be a different presentation , but, I like dynamics really. I like how BA handle decay and such, but always seem to have coherency issues between drivers especially on somethibg like a 3 or more per side. But, havnt heard the dm6, I was going to buy a pair but the wait time was too long for me to want to bother with. I really hope these kpe get here soon, these no updates from dhl is driving me crazy. One thing says march 4th delivery , another says jan 8th but not a single update in tracking. I love, and hate the wait for a new toy. Its so fun, but also not at the same time.

Jan 9, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #279 of 11,979
Jan 9, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #281 of 11,979
good guy bad audio reviews put the KP on his top 5 list, the IT01s was out of it because "it has some weirdness in the mids"

I followed the good guy bad audio for a while but listening to his take on the Mojo made me realize that he‘s looking for or hearing things differently, and I wish he‘d make his preferences much clearer to put his personal opinion in that context. I think his takes can be a little misleading sometimes.

On the KPEs:
I listened more, and noted a couple more things.
Deep bass is really impressive, listening to Bach organ works it is the first time I hear the deep registers with power and authority - but not overpowering. Very nice!
I don‘t think I‘m the right person to judge soundstage due to my limited experience with IEMs but I can at least say that the musical elements are clearly positioned and one time I had such an „out of my head“ experience that I thought there was something wrong with my setup and the sound was actually coming from speakers, not from the KPEs.

But I also noted 2 things I don‘t like.
I am having difficulties getting a good seal and comfortable fit. The stock tips are acceptable, but I‘d like to use the MandarinEs which warm the sound a little, and they get stretched by the wide nozzle to the point where I have to jam them into my outer ear canal to get a good seal which makes them uncomfortable. I got some Radians custom ear plug silicone, but am a little hesitant to use it... and these IEMs are big! They really stick out from my ears, not like the P1 that nestle into my ear and sit there comfortably.

Secondly, and maybe more importantly, I realize that coming from very warm phones the KPE is a very different experience, one that demands more attention. They present the music beautifully detailed, and that makes me explore it rather than relax and just take in the big picture. So sometimes I wish they‘d be a little more relaxed and a little warmer, to simply enjoy the music. Don‘t get me wrong, they are not fatiguing, but they present the music in a way that makes me focus and listen very actively rather than leaning back and simply letting the music flow.

I am really excited to have this new tool in my kit, as it adds a new dimension to my listening experience. I don‘t feel the need for any more detail, but I‘d be interested to get something with similar detail and a warmer and more relaxed character to fill the gap between the KPE and my other phones.
And maybe a good tip or custom silicone tip can move them a little in that direction.

Jan 9, 2019 at 2:29 AM Post #282 of 11,979
Jan 9, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #283 of 11,979
I followed the good guy bad audio for a while but listening to his take on the Mojo made me realize that he‘s looking for or hearing things differently, and I wish he‘d make his preferences much clearer to put his personal opinion in that context. I think his takes can be a little misleading sometimes.

On the KPEs:
I listened more, and noted a couple more things.
Deep bass is really impressive, listening to Bach organ works it is the first time I hear the deep registers with power and authority - but not overpowering. Very nice!
I don‘t think I‘m the right person to judge soundstage due to my limited experience with IEMs but I can at least say that the musical elements are clearly positioned and one time I had such an „out of my head“ experience that I thought there was something wrong with my setup and the sound was actually coming from speakers, not from the KPEs.

Are you listening to spotify too? Check underworld - binaural by Ottmar Liebert and LUna Negra
you can tell by clapping distance on your right, is it on you shoulder or 1 meter away? or 2 meter away? or far away

second one try Drum and bell Walk Around the mic
you can hear that person walking in a circle around you. and how big is the diameter, or the distance from you to that person. 1m? 5m? 10m? or further?

But I also noted 2 things I don‘t like.
I am having difficulties getting a good seal and comfortable fit. The stock tips are acceptable, but I‘d like to use the MandarinEs which warm the sound a little, and they get stretched by the wide nozzle to the point where I have to jam them into my outer ear canal to get a good seal which makes them uncomfortable. I got some Radians custom ear plug silicone, but am a little hesitant to use it... and these IEMs are big! They really stick out from my ears, not like the P1 that nestle into my ear and sit there comfortably.

I got nice trick for eartips, i always use JVC spiral dots for better sound (usually works for bloated mid bass or to prevent harshness), and i have mandarinEs symbio W, and what i did? i take off the memory foam from symbio and put on JVC spiral dots, I got best of two worlds. But then again the memory foam from symbio W is a bit tight/thick so I bought comply memory foam S type (for sport) which is softer, cut it and put inside spiral dots. Make the sound quality still the best from spiral dots, but with extra fit a bit, not too tight, not too soft, and add isolation.
I can post the pic here sometime later.

Jan 9, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #284 of 11,979
Jan 9, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #285 of 11,979
Here also: http://headflux.de/moondrop-kanas-pro-edition/

Edit: added graphs to my gallery for easier find.
9939337_l.png

9939338_l.png

9939343_l.jpg

9939352_l.jpg

9939336_l.png

9939404_l.jpg

9939422_l.jpg

9939344_l.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back