Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jun 26, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #8,386 of 11,979
Great. I am ready to go for Variations. One last question, I am torn between Variations and Oracle, which one is better?
"better" is a subjective term as you'd have to understand what you're looking for specifically.

They are tuned differently, which may sway you toward one or the other. Crinacle have stated Variations to have higher resolution than the oracle, which may suggest it have better technicalities. But technicalities alone won't make Variation "better" if you don't know what you're looking for.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #8,387 of 11,979
L5 is a darker sounding IEM like Mangird Tea, if you love dark tuning, Variations may sound a bit bright though, technicalities wise it’s a straight upgrade even from Blessing2/ SA6 which I value these two has A+ technicalities with sub$1000 background.

I’m having hard time to tell if Monarch is better in technicalities than Variations because they have each pros/cons, but it’s S-tier battle.
I guess you could call the L5 “dark”. I would describe the L5 as having wonderfully “smooth” treble. The treble is definitely there but there aren’t any notable peaks giving it a”darker” presentation compared to earphones with peaks.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #8,388 of 11,979
Great. I am ready to go for Variations. One last question, I am torn between Variations and Oracle, which one is better?
Oracle after all is retuned Clairvoyance with knowles BAs, Variations has better bass and the Softears custom BA is a more sophisticated BA than Knowles IMO. Otherwise Softears RSV won’t be selling with price tag of $730 which is made of 5 Softears Custome BAs (1 tweeter, 2 MID, 2 Bass)

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #8,390 of 11,979
So, you prefer Variations to your Monarch?
They are on par for my listening preference:
Monarch has better detailing for full orchestral but has less spatial positioning accuracy compared to Variations, Variations has better dynamic illustrations and higher technicalities on bass response.

So it depends on type of music, for music with complexity I prefer Monarch, for other genres I prefer Variations. I could say Variations is more all-rounder compared to Monarch, so if someone is looking 1 good all rounder Variations maybe the choice.

Jun 26, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #8,392 of 11,979
Monarch has better detailing for full orchestral but has less spatial positioning accuracy compared to Variations, Variations has better dynamic illustrations and higher technicalities on bass response.

So it depends on type of music, for music with complexity I prefer Monarch, for other genres I prefer Variations. I could say Variations is more all-rounder compared to Monarch, so if someone is looking 1 good all rounder Variations maybe the choice.

I didn’t actually pull the trigger yet. Really intrigued by what I’m reading about the bass performance from the Variations. I’ve never heard BA bass like what’s provided from the RSV. It’s that good but usually dynamic bass is my preference. Eager to hear how the Variations renders different types of bass and textures

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #8,393 of 11,979

Thanks. Was looking exactly for this type of response. Now its between variations and isn est50/mangird up

Jun 26, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #8,394 of 11,979
Just tried tip rolls: original tips works just great, it’s just the silicone material is a bit hard for long time session.
Good match:
-Unique Melody’s “blue-core” bass boost wide bore proprietary tips: it resonate well with Variations’s driver, sad part is that UM is still working on their accessory kit to be separately sold, meanwhile you could get those from buying UM products(like 3DT). Due to wider open bore and shorter stem, resolution further increased with direct and coherent bass.

-AZLA XELASTEC: LCP driver fits well to this tips which is proved by Moondrop Aria, UM MEST MKII also employed this Xelastec as their default stock tip for the quad-brid. Xelastec also has very wide open bore and shorter stem, with soft and comfortable silicone. Same type of resolution boost with UM blue-core, bass will be tightened and better controlled.

-SpinFit CP360: my favorite tips for many IEMs, best balanced tuning, simple enhancements of original tuning. Also has wide bore and short stem.

Other tips didn’t quite ring the bell at current state.

Jun 26, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #8,396 of 11,979

Which would you say is better for rock/metal and other types of music with a lot of bass?

Jun 26, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #8,397 of 11,979
Which would you say is better for rock/metal and other types of music with a lot of bass?
Either Clairvoyance or Variations , MEST MKII would work.
Monarch is not for rock/metal as it mutes bass guitar unfortunately.

Jun 26, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #8,398 of 11,979
humm have limited down to below selection

Moondrop varaiations
THIEAUDIO Oracle
Dunu Sa6
listen to mostly classic rock and pop. i will be using
Luxury& Precision W-2 From iPad air and iphone 12 mini.
I currently been using phonak 232 for years so looking for something that a improvement in sound. Along with not lossing too much of the comfort the phonation..

Jun 26, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #8,399 of 11,979
Just tried tip rolls: original tips works just great, it’s just the silicone material is a bit hard for long time session.
Good match:
-Unique Melody’s “blue-core” bass boost wide bore proprietary tips: it resonate well with Variations’s driver, sad part is that UM is still working on their accessory kit to be separately sold, meanwhile you could get those from buying UM products(like 3DT). Due to wider open bore and shorter stem, resolution further increased with direct and coherent bass.

-AZLA XELASTEC: LCP driver fits well to this tips which is proved by Moondrop Aria, UM MEST MKII also employed this Xelastec as their default stock tip for the quad-brid. Xelastec also has very wide open bore and shorter stem, with soft and comfortable silicone. Same type of resolution boost with UM blue-core, bass will be tightened and better controlled.

-SpinFit CP360: my favorite tips for many IEMs, best balanced tuning, simple enhancements of original tuning. Also has wide bore and short stem.

Other tips didn’t quite ring the bell at current state.
Can confirm for Azla Xelastec is perfect for Variations. Fit much better than the foamies. I didn't notice any difference between foamies and xelastec.

Jun 27, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #8,400 of 11,979
How is the soundstage of Variations? After I experience MEST, I can't ignore somewhat narrower soundstage of Monarch (it is not that Monarch falls in short by no means but relatively..)
Is the stage bigger compared to Monarch?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back