Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jun 27, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #8,401 of 11,977
How is the soundstage of Variations? After I experience MEST, I can't ignore somewhat narrower soundstage of Monarch (it is not that Monarch falls in short by no means but relatively..)
Is the stage bigger compared to Monarch?
It is wider than Monarch but not as wide as MEST, hope that helps.

Jun 27, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #8,402 of 11,977
humm have limited down to below selection

Moondrop varaiations
THIEAUDIO Oracle
Dunu Sa6
listen to mostly classic rock and pop. i will be using
Luxury& Precision W-2 From iPad air and iphone 12 mini.
I currently been using phonak 232 for years so looking for something that a improvement in sound. Along with not lossing too much of the comfort the phonation..
SA6 has very good overall coherence, but for your case, you are going to pick one all-rounder, which I think Variations fits better for that role.

Jun 27, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #8,403 of 11,977
Hey guys

Just find some strange defect on my S8 - it looks like a bubble inside the IEM between the surface and the metal plate. I'm not sure htf I got this...

Any idea how this could have happened? Does someone have similar? I'm confused because I thought it is solid acrylic.
photo_2021-06-28_01-11-37.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #8,404 of 11,977
Hey guys

Just find some strange defect on my S8 - it looks like a bubble inside the IEM between the surface and the metal plate. I'm not sure htf I got this...

Any idea how this could have happened? Does someone have similar? I'm confused because I thought it was solid acrylic.photo_2021-06-28_01-11-37.jpg
They fill the inner housing with resin by hand, so that could happen. You may contact seller for replacement if you think the cosmetics matter, there shouldn’t be any sound quality performance impact though.

Jun 27, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #8,405 of 11,977
It is wider than Monarch but not as wide as MEST, hope that helps.
Thanks! It seems 500~700 bracket tribrid market is being very competitive these days. Too many products to check and consider 😝

Jun 27, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #8,406 of 11,977
Hey guys

Any idea how this could have happened? Does someone have similar? I'm confused because I thought it is solid acrylic.
Purchased 11/19

Copy.jpg

Jun 27, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #8,408 of 11,977
SA6 has very good overall coherence, but for your case, you are going to pick one all-rounder, which I think Variations fits better for that role.
Thanks leaning that way, from reading and early impression they seem like right choice for me. Do you think they pair well with the w2 ?

Jun 27, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #8,410 of 11,977
Either Clairvoyance or Variations , MEST MKII would work.
Monarch is not for rock/metal as it mutes bass guitar unfortunately.
would you pick the variations over the blessing 2 for prog rock/metal genres?

Jun 28, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #8,411 of 11,977
I recommend those who are considering the Variations and planning to use aftermarket cables with it to wait. I swapped XINHS cables about 3 times and the 2-pin sockets one is broken and the other has some cracks in it which will go into pieces very soon. Unless you are only planning to use the stock cable or cables from Moondrop, you are very likely going to break the sockets and XINHS they make 50% of the market's cable, all I can say is good luck with your copy.

I am sure I can send it back for repair, however, if they are replacing with the same socket holders I will definitely break them again. I have like 40 pairs of IEMs and this is my first time breaking the sockets without even really using it. I mean this is MY VERY FIRST TIME breaking the sockets at all.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #8,413 of 11,977
Thanks leaning that way, from reading and early impression they seem like right choice for me. Do you think they pair well with the w2 ?
@SteveK27 has W2 and will be receiving Variations soon, you may look for his impression👍

@AmericanSpirit
Have you noticed any changes in sound after burn-in?
Tightening of bass? Or a more mature treble response?
@40 hours, Bass increasing speed, I feel treble burn-in is completed, the separation capability increased👍
I recommend those who are considering the Variations and planning to use aftermarket cables with it to wait. I swapped XINHS cables about 3 times and the 2-pin sockets one is broken and the other has some cracks in it which will go into pieces very soon. Unless you are only planning to use the stock cable or cables from Moondrop, you are very likely going to break the sockets and XINHS they make 50% of the market's cable, all I can say is good luck with your copy.

I am sure I can send it back for repair, however, if they are replacing with the same socket holders I will definitely break them again. I have like 40 pairs of IEMs and this is my first time breaking the sockets without even really using it. I mean this is MY VERY FIRST TIME breaking the sockets at all.
Wow! Bad luck. From my experience, Blessing2 and Variations has very very tight pin socket for the first couple of time use, so it is recommended to keep plug/unplug with stock cable to burn-in the socket too, it will loose up after a while.

you may contact the seller.

would you pick the variations over the blessing 2 for prog rock/metal genres?
that’s for sure. The best player for progressive rock : MEST MKII > Variations

Jun 28, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #8,414 of 11,977
Wow! Bad luck. From my experience, Blessing2 and Variations has very very tight pin socket for the first couple of time use, so it is recommended to keep plug/unplug with stock cable to burn-in the socket too, it will loose up after a while.

you may contact the seller.
Don't think they will be losen enough it is the plastic surrounding them being too brittle. Already contacted seller and will send back tomorrow.... Sigh...

Jun 28, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #8,415 of 11,977

I wanted to complement the Variations with DUNU DUW02 2-pin cable, so does this mean it is a bad idea?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back