Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jun 25, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #8,371 of 11,979
I am happy for you, mine unfortunately, ordered on June 18th at 7 am CET have yet to be shipped. Thanks a lot ShenzhenAudio!

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #8,372 of 11,979
Okay first time listening, one thing struck me the most. This Variations is very smooth like the smoothest sounding IEM I've ever tried. Also, comparing with AST, the Variations need like a lot more volume to sound the same level as AST. The bass is not overwhelming or boomy tho from my experience with the Aria, the bass will get tighter and punchier as time goes. Definitely not bassy IEM at all. The mid is silky smooth, Norah Jones sounds awesome. The treble is resolving, but no harshness at all from my short listening.

Jun 26, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #8,373 of 11,979
Okay first time listening, one thing struck me the most. This Variations is very smooth like the smoothest sounding IEM I've ever tried. Also, comparing with AST, the Variations need like a lot more volume to sound the same level as AST. The bass is not overwhelming or boomy tho from my experience with the Aria, the bass will get tighter and punchier as time goes. Definitely not bassy IEM at all. The mid is silky smooth, Norah Jones sounds awesome. The treble is resolving, but no harshness at all from my short listening.
Haha I was listening Norah Jones as well, what a coincidence. By the way Aria’s bass could be modded to the one like Variations if you remove the hex shaped iron filter, that thing is causing the congestion👍

Jun 26, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #8,374 of 11,979
Haha I was listening Norah Jones as well, what a coincidence. By the way Aria’s bass could be modded to the one like Variations if you remove the hex shaped iron filter, that thing is causing the congestion👍
How do you like yours? I think this Variations sounds absolutely amazing. The sound is so effortless, detailed yet very pleasing without any sibilance.

Jun 26, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #8,376 of 11,979
I am happy for you, mine unfortunately, ordered on June 18th at 7 am CET have yet to be shipped. Thanks a lot ShenzhenAudio!
I regret ordering from ShenzenAudio tbh. Not because I'm impatient, but because I had a trip planned. And now they are putting me in a bad predicament. Sigh.

Jun 26, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #8,377 of 11,979
How do you like yours? I think this Variations sounds absolutely amazing. The sound is so effortless, detailed yet very pleasing without any sibilance.
Burn-in in progress, but it’s already my second best all time IEM.

LCP +EST + Softears-MID-B(Blessing2 uses “MID-A”, S8 uses “MID-B”), with Dusk+RSV+Monarch style gain spot tuning is just hard to beat.

Jun 26, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #8,378 of 11,979
Burn-in in progress, but it’s already my second best all time IEM.

LCP +EST + Softears-MID-B(Blessing2 uses “MID-A”, S8 uses “MID-B”), with Dusk+RSV+Monarch style gain spot tuning is just hard to beat.
My god this makes me crave my Variations so much. That's quite a statement you are making considering your experience in this hobby.

Have you tried the Variations with wide bore tips like Azlasedna Earfit?

Jun 26, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #8,379 of 11,979
So, is Variations a considerable upgrade from Legacy 5?
L5 is a darker sounding IEM like Mangird Tea, if you love dark tuning, Variations may sound a bit bright though, technicalities wise it’s a straight upgrade even from Blessing2/ SA6 which I value these two has A+ technicalities with sub$1000 background.

I’m having hard time to tell if Monarch is better in technicalities than Variations because they have each pros/cons, but it’s S-tier battle.

Jun 26, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #8,380 of 11,979
My god this makes me crave my Variations so much. That's quite a statement you are making considering your experience in this hobby.

Have you tried the Variations with wide bore tips like Azlasedna Earfit?
Not yet! Still using stock tips, will try tips rolling today as I already completed 15 hours burn in 🙌

Jun 26, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #8,381 of 11,979
To Variations owners/reviewers:

From my experience with Softears-RSV:
-recommended to try listening post burn-in Variations for couple of hours(not minutes) with “Low Gain” mode; technicalities will improve

-Yes, high gain does bring engaging and impactful sound, but it’s more like bringing a pair of loudspeaker next to your ear, the speakers actually should’ve been placed at certain resonating spots to shine

For spatial and dynamic momentum illumination, low gain mode works for this specific IEM (and Softears RSV)

Moondrop and Softears shares R&D resources and the “Diffusion Field” tuning will be kicking better with low gain mode (especially for some IEM like RSV and Variations, Blessing2 are less evident)

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #8,382 of 11,979
To Variations owners/reviewers:

From my experience with Softears-RSV:
-recommended to try listening post burn-in Variations for couple of hours(not minutes) with “Low Gain” mode; technicalities will improve

-Yes, high gain does bring engaging and impactful sound, but it’s more like bringing a pair of loudspeaker next to your ear, the speakers actually should’ve been placed at certain resonating spots to shine

For spatial and dynamic momentum illumination, low gain mode works for this specific IEM (and Softears RSV)

Moondrop and Softears shares R&D resources and the “Diffusion Field” tuning will be kicking better with low gain mode (especially for some IEM like RSV and Variations, Blessing2 are less evident)
What source are you using to listen to Variations?

Jun 26, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #8,383 of 11,979
What source are you using to listen to Variations?
FiiO M11Pro for the most time, it has line-out mode with volume control which produce a very uncolored sound.

Jun 26, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #8,385 of 11,979
L5 is a darker sounding IEM like Mangird Tea, if you love dark tuning, Variations may sound a bit bright though, technicalities wise it’s a straight upgrade even from Blessing2/ SA6 which I value these two has A+ technicalities with sub$1000 background.

I’m having hard time to tell if Monarch is better in technicalities than Variations because they have each pros/cons, but it’s S-tier battle.
Great. I am ready to go for Variations. One last question, I am torn between Variations and Oracle, which one is better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back