Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
May 16, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #7,966 of 12,007
That sounds more like brain burn in than anything & also your ear isn't 100% working the same everyday so you do need more volume today but need less the next day. That's common thing
See below, Aria’s user guide:
000E1A4B-CECB-4D53-92C8-06D51BF857F0.jpeg

May 16, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #7,967 of 12,007
That sounds more like brain burn in than anything & also your ear isn't 100% working the same everyday so you do need more volume today but need less the next day. That's common thing
I'm really not sure.

I only know that Moondrop makes it clear in the Aria manual that LCP drivers can perform poorly before at least 100 hours of burn-in.

I'm believing that, because before 40h I was talking to the miserybeforethemusic about how weak Aria's bass was for my ears. And "out of nowhere" (after another 10 hours of burn-in) I have this boost, it is at least strange.

About the volume, I can even agree with you, but about the bass and the mids it is difficult, because this is the only IEM that I have been using this last week.

May 16, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #7,969 of 12,007
It's not just aria where they put about the "100 hour burn in". I can say that all of their manual of their iem has that. I have seen that since I bought my Starfield

May 16, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #7,970 of 12,007
It's not just aria where they put about the "100 hour burn in". I can say that all of their manual of their iem has that. I have seen that since I bought my Starfield
I don't really believe in burn-in, but I tell you there's something going on with Aria.

If you can I recommend you to buy and attest to that.

I'm pretty sure "she" didn't sound like that before 40h of burn-in.

May 16, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #7,972 of 12,007
In fact it's scary, I was even thinking about doing a bass mod on Aria. Now I can feel the "tum" "tum" in all the songs (using a very low volume).

Edit: In fact, I'm still going to do it anyway for fun, LOL.
Removing the outer hex filter will make Aria’s bass very fast transient, you will then recall,”ah right in real world even Bass resonate”

May 16, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #7,973 of 12,007
I saw somewhere that you have a lot of tips. Can you tell me how Aria responds with foam tips?

I always liked foam tips more.
Aria’s LCP got bad compatibility with foam type of tips.

In fact Aria’s best match is AZAL xelastec.

The Xelastec is not an all-rounder as it boosts vocal range and tames bass, but it has unique characteristics to control bass resonance which for some IEMs that matches as one and the only.

That’s why UM employed Xelastec as MEST MKII’s stock tips. Same to MEST MKII, Xelastec fits very well wity Aria’ it enhances the strength of Aria’s fast and accurate transients, and cures recesses mid range problem at the same time.
What’s so special about Aria is that:
-extremely fast and elastic transient all over the spectrum
-Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee

Moondrop somehow nerfed that benefit by adding extra hex filter to boost bass range for the harman curve tuning.

It’s a very simple physics, the smaller diameter of sound wave pathway, the greater amplitude of longer wave length (bass), it applies to ear tip bore caliber or diameter as well, the smaller the bore, the greater bass(assuming the tips has same sized outer skirts). For Aria’s case Moondrop’s engineer recuded the number of holes on that hex-shaped iron filter to have higher gain on bass range, again with a cost of losing “good cohesive transient”; compressing sound waves.

So in order to unleash the real potential of Aria, removing the hex filter is a highly recommended post-purchasr modification. Bass will be very flat& cohesive, and treble will extends further with better textures in air presentation, of which unfortunately foam tips will not suffice that.

I’m a bit confused of why moondrop needed to cuff Aria to Harman Curve with newly developed acoustic filter with a sacrifice of bass responses/treble extensions. Sticking on harman curve much more important than pure sound quality performance? I’d vote, no. SQ>Sound signature. Aria has potential to play As bare knuckle Heavy-weighted boxer, but it’s tuned to play as middleweight boxer with 5lbs gloves as physical restraints. My grading on
Aria stock tuning is 70/100(B-),
Starfield 75/100 (B)
KXXS 78/100 B+
hex filter removed Aria 81/100(A-).
B2 (86/100) A+,
Dusk 89/100 A+.

I’m waiting some entry grande earbuds of Moondrop coming as to benchmark whether getting chaconne is worth the bet, but those Earbuds wouldn’t hit more than B, which I’m pretty sure.

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #7,975 of 12,007
I'm really not sure.

I only know that Moondrop makes it clear in the Aria manual that LCP drivers can perform poorly before at least 100 hours of burn-in.

I'm believing that, because before 40h I was talking to the miserybeforethemusic about how weak Aria's bass was for my ears. And "out of nowhere" (after another 10 hours of burn-in) I have this boost, it is at least strange.

About the volume, I can even agree with you, but about the bass and the mids it is difficult, because this is the only IEM that I have been using this last week.
The volume point actually has specific name called “auditory illusion”
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auditory_illusion
Human ear will accustom to the volume and tone by just mere 30 seconds. When you plug only right ear of IEM then play a song at normal listening volume, then after good 30 seconds, put left ear on, you will experience left side being perceived a larger volume compared to right side. The ear sensors get easily altered👍 But besides that, there is static and permanent change in attack/decay as burn-in kicks in for Aria’s LCP driver. Which is not shown on frequency responses but human ear is good enough to sense those differences. Just like how you change your LPF on DAPs.

May 16, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #7,976 of 12,007
Releasing status?

I guess Moondrop is advancing toward new hot zone $450-550. The EST hot spots with Thieaudio brothers Oracle/Excalibur, DUNU EST112, TRI Starshine, and many other smaller boutique shops. Also KZ seemed is marching toward first affordable EST project too.

I personally found Dusk is one of best tuned IEM around, and really longed for EST and LCP to coup the only weakness of Dusk, “treble response/smoothness/extension & better resonance and transients /textures on bass ~ sub-bass.”. It seems treble concern is gone. So Blessing(shell) EST project may become “B-EST” one to choose for $450-550 EST hot zone! Since B2 is 1999CNY, and seeing other competitors, 2888CNY =449USD & 2999CNY =466USD sounds like a plan(wink* 😉 wink*). I know Chinese love number 888.

For headfiers, here are some interesting datasheet of Sonion’s EST driver, which most likely will be packaged with Blessing-EST, just to share the basic measurements and specs:
Wow, the response curves are all over the place with these. Only thing going for them are that it's not BA or dynamic, and something different for marketing. How can you tune them with such response. I won't touch anything with electret, and I don't see any practical value in using them.

What makes them worth the effort over a BA? I understand dynamic drivers being used for low-end for obvious benefits, but for highs how is it an improvement? BA response look easier to work with.

So, what's the consensus on the best version of Blessing 2? Dusk or Dawn? Ok, there is no Moondrop dawn. lol It looks to be Fearless version.

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #7,977 of 12,007
Wow, the response curves are all over the place with these. Only thing going for them are that it's not BA or dynamic, and something different for marketing. How can you tune them with such response. I won't touch anything with electret, and I don't see any practical value in using them.

What makes them worth the effort over a BA? I understand dynamic drivers being used for low-end for obvious benefits, but for highs how is it an improvement? BA response look easier to work with.
Linsoul’s Thieaudio managed to tune that EST driver so hey Moondrop/Softears engineer should be able to👍

May 16, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #7,978 of 12,007
Linsoul’s Thieaudio managed to tune that EST driver so hey Moondrop/Softears engineer should be able to👍
Looks like a nightmare looking at that response. You really can't control that. They probably took a very narrow band of it for the cross-over, but that would be a gimmick. You can't use a wide band of that kind of response. Some of the responses I've seen of EST doesn't seem worth it. What I heard isn't distinguishing enough to be applied as far as I see it. Dynamic drivers, certainly distingushing. You can definitely make-out differences between BA and dynamic driver.

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #7,979 of 12,007
Looks like a nightmare looking at that response. You really can't control that. They probably took a very narrow band of it for the cross-over, but that would be a gimmick. You can't use a wide band of that kind of response.
Yea it’s probably the crossover circuit cutoffs, Softears MID is one of the best mid BA, so they probably wouldn’t need EST to overlapping that area.

I think so called “failed implementation of EST drivers” may aligned with that crossover design.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back