Monster Turbine Pro
Mar 6, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #286 of 335
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMBrown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my golds in. To be honest, I'm listening right now (with zero burn-in) and I'm really unimpressed, disappointed even. I'm getting a good seal and the bottom end sounds pretty good, but I feel like the highs and even mids to an extent aren't there at all. I'm hoping they'll get a little brighter with burn in, or else they're going back

In the MTPC thread, a number of people recommended phonak grey silicon tips to really bring out the copper's great treble. I bought them and the sound is glorious and spacious and present. The stock tips are darker and the music is slightly removed-sounding, particularly the gel supertips (at least, to my ears).

So, maybe the phonak tips (plus 100hours burn-in or so at a volume 20% over usual listening level) will bring out the MTP gold's sound as well. Certainly, people aren't reporting the same issues with the golds as you're having--but people have burned in their MTPGs, so that very well may be the issue. I think the phonak tips can only help--you give them a slighly shallow insertion and they sound great.

If you look in the user guide that comes with the MTP, it even mentions burn-in ("break in" they call it), so Monster believes in burn-in, even if it's a contentious issue at head-fi!!!

Mar 6, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #287 of 335
True, overpriced just for the golden

Mar 6, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #288 of 335
I think the Gold or Copper are well worth their price. If the sound to you isn't up there (that is opinion of course), the build alone takes them closer to 300-400$ price range, certainly outdoing even westone for cable quality (if not microphonics).

Mar 6, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #289 of 335
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kunlun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the MTPC thread, a number of people recommended phonak grey silicon tips to really bring out the copper's great treble. I bought them and the sound is glorious and spacious and present. The stock tips are darker and the music is slightly removed-sounding, particularly the gel supertips (at least, to my ears).

So, maybe the phonak tips (plus 100hours burn-in or so at a volume 20% over usual listening level) will bring out the MTP gold's sound as well. Certainly, people aren't reporting the same issues with the golds as you're having--but people have burned in their MTPGs, so that very well may be the issue. I think the phonak tips can only help--you give them a slighly shallow insertion and they sound great.

If you look in the user guide that comes with the MTP, it even mentions burn-in ("break in" they call it), so Monster believes in burn-in, even if it's a contentious issue at head-fi!!!

Thanks for the advice; I'll be sure to check those tips out.

Larry, I'm looking forward to your impressions!

Mar 7, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #290 of 335
I use the enclosed foam tips with the Copper for a nice comfortable seal. Normally for me, foams seem to muck up the sound but not with the Coppers. This "may" have something to do with their open back design which I believe allows them to breathe and minimizes distortion within the housing. The Cyclone PR2 seem to have a similiar design somewhat and are my favorite sub $100 iem. I prefer the Copper to my TF10,IE8,ER-4P and W3 (none of these have venting btw) The Copper has a very natural sounding presentation and gobs of bass definition.

Mar 7, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #291 of 335
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody469 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the enclosed foam tips with the Copper for a nice comfortable seal. Normally for me, foams seem to muck up the sound but not with the Coppers. This "may" have something to do with their open back design which I believe allows them to breathe and minimizes distortion within the housing. The Cyclone PR2 seem to have a similiar design somewhat and are my favorite sub $100 iem. I prefer the Copper to my TF10,IE8,ER-4P and W3 (none of these have venting btw) The Copper has a very natural sounding presentation and gobs of bass definition.

regarding the open back of the turbine copper, do you mean to say they vent noise out the back which would allow nearby people to hear the noise? if that's the case i won't consider these for my needs. also how long is the cable on this earphone?

thanks and regards

Mar 7, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #292 of 335
Quote:

Originally Posted by squirt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
regarding the open back of the turbine copper, do you mean to say they vent noise out the back which would allow nearby people to hear the noise? if that's the case i won't consider these for my needs. also how long is the cable on this earphone?

thanks and regards

When I owned both the Gold and Copper, I don't believe these are "open back". Unless it's completely describing something else. If they were, they would leak sound for other to enjoy or be annoyed, which they don't.

Mar 7, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #295 of 335
Quote:

Originally Posted by 11amaberry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My friend has the Dr. Dre beats iems, and I think they're at least slightly overpriced. Same with these.

What brings you to that conclusion?

Mar 8, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #297 of 335
Well, I was determined I was finished after buying my IE8. But the sound has just not right for me and I have been following the MTP thread and finally decided to pick up a pair from a local shop that has a good return policy.

All I can say is WOW! These sound as good as my burned in pair of IE8 and that's out of the box. The only thing the IE8 is holding over these is the sound stage and that is only by a slim margin. I like the more neutral midrange and the treble is better as well for most of the music I listen to. I won't say it's a better IEM as the IE8 is great for alot of genre's and for those inclined to it's sound signature it is a great headphone. But for my music tastes I think the MTP is a better headphone. Now I just have to decide if I want to keep the IE8 or not...

Mar 8, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #298 of 335
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I was determined I was finished after buying my IE8. But the sound has just not right for me and I have been following the MTP thread and finally decided to pick up a pair from a local shop that has a good return policy.

All I can say is WOW! These sound as good as my burned in pair of IE8 and that's out of the box. The only thing the IE8 is holding over these is the sound stage and that is only by a slim margin. I like the more neutral midrange and the treble is better as well for most of the music I listen to. I won't say it's a better IEM as the IE8 is great for alot of genre's and for those inclined to it's sound signature it is a great headphone. But for my music tastes I think the MTP is a better headphone. Now I just have to decide if I want to keep the IE8 or not...

I have noticed after much use the soundstage of the Copper has increased dramatically. The soundstage is probably only slightly less than the IE8.

As for them leaking sound for others to hear, I asked a friend if she could hear the Copper when I was wearing them. Even very close to me in a quiet room she said no, she can't hear them. They may in fact may not be vented (I thought they could breathe through some of the nooks and crannies that are on the rear of the iem). Maybe someone with better eyes could comment on this...lol. What I enjoy is the sound is not blurry as a result of deep bass. What I mean by not blurry is I can still hear and understand every word spoken and small nuances in the mix are not drowned out. I feel this is a GREAT design.

Mar 8, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #299 of 335
I have to agree Woody469 the design of these are very good and the bass in no way gets in the way of the rest of the music, I am hearing alot of things that were simply drowned out in the IE8. I also think that the sound stage of the IE8 may have caused the loss of some of the detail.

It's funny, I owned the original Monster Turbine and was happy with them until I started to hear IEM's and fullsize headphones with good instrument seperation and sound stage and found they just came across as too lifeless in comparison. Monster seems to have taken the best aspects of the original MTB and improved it by a large margin and has slipped in a soundstage, which considering that the physical housing is very similar is quite remarkable. I thought of the MTB as my first introduction into higher end IEM's and these new MTP Gold are a continuance of this as I feel they are as good as the IE8 in a different way. They are certainly a top tier dynamic based IEM that are worth considering.

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #300 of 335
They are open back after all.

If you put your thumb over the Copper when you are wearing them you can hear the sound darken quite a bit.

I think that is how they acheive such nice low bass without sounding muffled yet keep their spacious clarity. What a cool design!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back