Monster Turbine Pro Gold vs Monster Turbine Pro Copper vs Ultimate Ears Triple-fi 10
Dec 17, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #31 of 49
Additionally when you can spell pain right,
then you can go into a debate with someone.
Just my two cents.

And you jump to conclusions way to fast. Unless your ears are built like squid tentacles then I don't see how you can say an iem is blurry without trying different tips. The next day you return the tf-10s because you don't like the fit. Have you bothered to try sony hybrids, comply tips, hell even monster triple flanges.

You're also wrong.
If anything, I would be opinionated towards my Stax sr404s and strongly support them. That would be my flagship and favorite atm. But as for you, you're favorite is the coppers. There is no reason to accuse.

The last thing is while I have been spending hours of my time helping people on here with responses that provide better explanations then "Dude, the m50s pown those". I don't expect anything in return but just some common courtesy not to revoke my attempts to help the OP with just statements like "I believe the Coppers blow the tf-10s away". Without the statement of IMO or YMMV or any other side-note.

Dec 17, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #32 of 49
Oh, excuse me, I didn't know I have a job here on Head-Fi.
Also you might want to learn some new words. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panning_%28audio%29

EDIT: Didn't see you there. On the fit part, granted I didn't shove the SuperTips (which were on the Golds at the time) onto the TF.10, although I did try that one pair of foam tips (Complies?) included in the box. They did not fit (too small).
With the SE530, however, thanks to the abundant level of tips provided, I did try almost all of them (of course, not the ones that are obviously too small). I even trimmed the while triple-flanges to double-flanges (search Voltag3 here on Head-Fi), because that guy said it would improve the treble. I didn't get the yellow foams.

Dec 17, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #35 of 49
The TF10 honestly did nothing for me.  I couldn't listen to them more than 3 days during my audition.  Wasn't worth my time.  I had a few issues with the Coppers.  The bass was a bit too curt by comparison to the Golds/MDs, highs bordered on fatigue at times and despite the more neutral balance they were less engaging than the Golds or MDs.  The mids were nothing special or bad, just sort of fell in w/ everything else.  I tended to get bored w/ them after more than 20 minutes.  Though I would pick the Coppers over the TF10.  With the right set of tips and insertion you can pretty much tune the Coppers.  With the TF10 I think you get the best sound out of them or you don't.  For me their best wasn't good enough.  I'll take my MD and DBA over either choice and I have.  Nice to have options.  
wink.gif

Dec 18, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #36 of 49
2 weeks ago I wouldn't have thought that I'd ever say anything good about a 'Monster' product. Since one of the channels of my UM3Xs stopped working last week, I took them back to my dealer to have them sent back for repairs and I casually asked him to recommend me some better IEMs, and he suggested the Turbine Pro Coppers. I was kind of skeptical at first but when I heard them, I really got blown away, the bass was deep and punchy, and the highs were clear and refined, made the UM3Xs sound blurry and thin in comparison, even straight out of the box. I totally agreed with Anaxilus though, the tips and insertion can tune the Coppers and make them sound quite differently. It did take me quite a while to find the right ones, for instant, the super tips make them too bass heavy and the triple flanges make them sound too thin, I tried out all sorts of tips from Sony Hybrids to Comfy Tips and eventually I settled on some tips I found in my drawer similar to Sony Hybrids, I suspect they came with my IE8s. With the right tips, the Coppers do sound amazing good, I did an A-B comparison with my LCD-2s and I think that they do actually sound quite similar, although the Coppers have less details and clarity, but not too far off. They really beat all my other IEMs hands down, especially in the clarity department, they are really that good. However, built-wise, they are a bit lacking, because of all the pushing in and pulling off of the different tips, the right housing is already splitting apart, the dealer actually warned me about that, but luckily it hasn't affected the sound yet but I guess I'd be sending them back for repair eventually.

Dec 18, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #37 of 49

Quote:
Oh, excuse me, I didn't know I have a job here on Head-Fi.
Also you might want to learn some new words. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panning_%28audio%29

EDIT: Didn't see you there. On the fit part, granted I didn't shove the SuperTips (which were on the Golds at the time) onto the TF.10, although I did try that one pair of foam tips (Complies?) included in the box. They did not fit (too small).
With the SE530, however, thanks to the abundant level of tips provided, I did try almost all of them (of course, not the ones that are obviously too small). I even trimmed the while triple-flanges to double-flanges (search Voltag3 here on Head-Fi), because that guy said it would improve the treble. I didn't get the yellow foams.

I don't use wikipedia lol.

Dec 18, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #38 of 49
I would really LOVE to see what joker has to say about the TF10's! Anyway, I think Monster Turbines have a hard time being accepted by audiophiles due to a couple of things, one of which is the name 'Monster'. Audiophiles don't really like big name companies (we all have long memories of how Monster has bilked people with their super-expensive cables)  and tend to like much more clinical names for their IEM's, the Monsters are probably the silliest name I can think of.  Audiophiles seem to like lots of long, clinical-sounding model numbers. (RP-HJE900, PFE122, ER-4S, RE252, ATH-CK10, UM3X, IE8 ect) The Gold and Copper don't really fall into this category.

I have had guys say they won't buy Monster because they did not like the name and did not consider them a serious IEM! I guess Monster Gold is too simple and would sell better if the name were UVX774-DBX. Anyway, I do think Monster Coppers and Gold are very underestimated due to their pedigree, but I've gotten over it long ago and thoroughly enjoy these IEM's. The TF10 is decent, but for christ sake it has 3 BALANCED ARMATURES with a CROSSOVER and to my ears and I'm sure other ears, it does not thoroughly trounce the Monsters? The Monsters have ONE dynamic transducer to reproduce the whole frequency range, which is a lot to ask of one transducer per ear. If I paid $400.00 retail for the TF10 I would be livid, I was merely upset and disappointed at still paying Amazon $95.00 for them, but have plans to see if they sound better as a Custom Mold.    

Dec 18, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #39 of 49

Quote:
I would really LOVE to see what joker has to say about the TF10's! Anyway, I think Monster Turbines have a hard time being accepted by audiophiles due to a couple of things, one of which is the name 'Monster'. Audiophiles don't really like big name companies (we all have long memories of how Monster has bilked people with their super-expensive cables)  and tend to like much more clinical names for their IEM's, the Monsters are probably the silliest name I can think of.  Audiophiles seem to like lots of long, clinical-sounding model numbers. (RP-HJE900, PFE122, ER-4S, RE252, ATH-CK10, UM3X, IE8 ect) The Gold and Copper don't really fall into this category.

I have had guys say they won't buy Monster because they did not like the name and did not consider them a serious IEM! I guess Monster Gold is too simple and would sell better if the name were UVX774-DBX. Anyway, I do think Monster Coppers and Gold are very underestimated due to their pedigree, but I've gotten over it long ago and thoroughly enjoy these IEM's. The TF10 is decent, but for christ sake it has 3 BALANCED ARMATURES with a CROSSOVER and to my ears and I'm sure other ears, it does not thoroughly trounce the Monsters? The Monsters have ONE dynamic transducer to reproduce the whole frequency range, which is a lot to ask of one transducer per ear. If I paid $400.00 retail for the TF10 I would be livid, I was merely upset and disappointed at still paying Amazon $95.00 for them, but have plans to see if they sound better as a Custom Mold.    

monster R2D2 and monster C3PO...that better? 

Dec 18, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #40 of 49

Quote:

Dynamics (also known as a Moving Coil) are very different than armatures. A single dynamic can cover the whole frequency range, it's not a lot to ask of a dynamic even though it often is a lot to ask of a single armature. The crossover can be a liability as much as anything, by the way.

You might be interested in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headphones#Technology this basic wikipedia article.

Dec 19, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #42 of 49

Quote:
2 weeks ago I wouldn't have thought that I'd ever say anything good about a 'Monster' product. Since one of the channels of my UM3Xs stopped working last week, I took them back to my dealer to have them sent back for repairs and I casually asked him to recommend me some better IEMs, and he suggested the Turbine Pro Coppers. I was kind of skeptical at first but when I heard them, I really got blown away, the bass was deep and punchy, and the highs were clear and refined, made the UM3Xs sound blurry and thin in comparison, even straight out of the box. I totally agreed with Anaxilus though, the tips and insertion can tune the Coppers and make them sound quite differently. It did take me quite a while to find the right ones, for instant, the super tips make them too bass heavy and the triple flanges make them sound too thin, I tried out all sorts of tips from Sony Hybrids to Comfy Tips and eventually I settled on some tips I found in my drawer similar to Sony Hybrids, I suspect they came with my IE8s. With the right tips, the Coppers do sound amazing good, I did an A-B comparison with my LCD-2s and I think that they do actually sound quite similar, although the Coppers have less details and clarity, but not too far off. They really beat all my other IEMs hands down, especially in the clarity department, they are really that good. However, built-wise, they are a bit lacking, because of all the pushing in and pulling off of the different tips, the right housing is already splitting apart, the dealer actually warned me about that, but luckily it hasn't affected the sound yet but I guess I'd be sending them back for repair eventually.

Just to warn others, this happened to mine on the first day..

I'm currently waiting on my replacement

Dec 19, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #44 of 49

Quote:
A little drip or two of Krazy glue will fix that. Well, that's what I did anyway.

your warranty is now dead....hopefully monster never finds out and still honors it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back