Monster Turbine Pro Copper Replacements
May 12, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #61 of 119
Hi sardar17, Sorry to hear about your experience with the Coppers. Yeah, I saw your earlier comment about how you thought they were a pile of shyte :wink:
I think there are a few possible explanations for the vast, vast differences in our experiences:

1) They really are shyte.
2) You picked up a pair of fakes.
3) You picked up a genuine pair, but it had a defect.
4) Foam/silicon tips.

I have no affiliation with Monster and am equally disgusted by their U-turn on a promised lifetime warranty. However, I guarantee 1) is not the explanation.
The Coppers I've owned compare extremely well with SE846 and JH Laylas, which are both far above the $200 price point.
The frankly unbelievable price you paid for your Coppers suggests 2) is a very strong possibility. The market is plagued with fakes, some of which look very authentic.
Some fakes don't even sound that bad. I'm not sure I can even tell you how to check definitively. Some of the later fakes are very good copies.  (This alone is probably
a good reason to steer clear and maybe why Monster gave up on them?)  But let's say, by whatever means, you're able to convince yourself you have a genuine pair.
Option 3) is a very real possibility too. I can't count how many pairs of Turbines I've been through over the years (regular, Gold and Copper) and at least 50% had some issue, including:
driver flex (some of which caused no other impact to the sound; some of which did), ControlTalk units not functioning properly, earbuds separating, and (in one pair of regular Turbines, which to this day, I believe are genuine, but who knows?), inexplicable distortion. Again, this can be a good reason to steer clear. QC isn't/wasn't good enough to guarantee a properly-working pair of headphones.

That brings me to point 4. You said the only good thing about them was the isolation. I'd have to disagree. When listening to them the way the Monster engineers intended (preferably with gel supertips), the isolation is really not all that good. The SE846 with Comply foam is far better at isolating on account of the long narrow posts and deeper seal. The SE846 sounds great with Comply foam, but you do NOT want to use foam tips, or even well-sealing silicon tips with Monster Turbines. Anything that gives a tight, well-isolating seal tends to darken their sound and accentuate the bass too much. A few years ago, I had several back-and-forth emails with the engineers at Monster about this (because I wanted better isolation) and eventually agreed 100% with their position. The Coppers sound best with the original (spherical - the later oval-shaped tips were a disaster) gel supertips. I never use my Coppers in noisy environments where I need good isolation.

I still have 2 pairs of Coppers left, both of which sound absolutely fantastic if used in a quiet environment. I won't ever be selling them. When they die, I really don't know what I'd replace them with. They really are that good.

May 12, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #62 of 119
  Hi sardar17, Sorry to hear about your experience with the Coppers. Yeah, I saw your earlier comment about how you thought they were a pile of shyte :wink:
I think there are a few possible explanations for the vast, vast differences in our experiences:

1) They really are shyte.
2) You picked up a pair of fakes.
3) You picked up a genuine pair, but it had a defect.
4) Foam/silicon tips.

I have no affiliation with Monster and am equally disgusted by their U-turn on a promised lifetime warranty. However, I guarantee 1) is not the explanation.
The Coppers I've owned compare extremely well with SE846 and JH Laylas, which are both far above the $200 price point.
The frankly unbelievable price you paid for your Coppers suggests 2) is a very strong possibility. The market is plagued with fakes, some of which look very authentic.
Some fakes don't even sound that bad. I'm not sure I can even tell you how to check definitively. Some of the later fakes are very good copies.  (This alone is probably
a good reason to steer clear and maybe why Monster gave up on them?)  But let's say, by whatever means, you're able to convince yourself you have a genuine pair.
Option 3) is a very real possibility too. I can't count how many pairs of Turbines I've been through over the years (regular, Gold and Copper) and at least 50% had some issue, including:
driver flex (some of which caused no other impact to the sound; some of which did), ControlTalk units not functioning properly, earbuds separating, and (in one pair of regular Turbines, which to this day, I believe are genuine, but who knows?), inexplicable distortion. Again, this can be a good reason to steer clear. QC isn't/wasn't good enough to guarantee a properly-working pair of headphones.

That brings me to point 4. You said the only good thing about them was the isolation. I'd have to disagree. When listening to them the way the Monster engineers intended (preferably with gel supertips), the isolation is really not all that good. The SE846 with Comply foam is far better at isolating on account of the long narrow posts and deeper seal. The SE846 sounds great with Comply foam, but you do NOT want to use foam tips, or even well-sealing silicon tips with Monster Turbines. Anything that gives a tight, well-isolating seal tends to darken their sound and accentuate the bass too much. A few years ago, I had several back-and-forth emails with the engineers at Monster about this (because I wanted better isolation) and eventually agreed 100% with their position. The Coppers sound best with the original (spherical - the later oval-shaped tips were a disaster) gel supertips. I never use my Coppers in noisy environments where I need good isolation.

I still have 2 pairs of Coppers left, both of which sound absolutely fantastic if used in a quiet environment. I won't ever be selling them. When they die, I really don't know what I'd replace them with. They really are that good.

I got them from visions.ca which is an authorised dealer.
My cousin too bought a pair and it sounded exactly the same.
I never use foams...........never.

Regarding ur views on tips,i totally agree.

May 12, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #63 of 119
I'm not saying visions.ca is sketchy, but I don't see them on this list:

www.monsterproducts.com/buy-safe/where-to-buy

Is it Visions Electronics?  Did your cousin buy from the same source?

EDIT: My mistake.  Yes, they are on the list.

May 12, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #64 of 119
  I'm not saying visions.ca is sketchy, but I don't see them on this list:

www.monsterproducts.com/buy-safe/where-to-buy

Is it Visions Electronics?  Did your cousin buy from the same source?

EDIT: My mistake.  Yes, they are on the list.

Sure they are mate..................they are legit.

May 12, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #66 of 119
Visions is legit and is now one of the only places you can occasionally get a great deal on clearance headphones and IEMs in Canada. BestBuy/Futureshop used to get good deals at Christmas but they have stopped being the go to company in this regard.

I used to quite enjoy the Monster Turbine xxx line but it is far from competitive by today's IEM standards. At that sale price I know a couple people very happy with their IEM though. But the turn around on their warranty certainly sucks and makes them suspect as a company in regards to ethics of nothing else.

May 13, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #68 of 119
Mine ended up breaking so i've ended up replacing them with DNA pro 2's just because I will probably end up selling them for something else unless I somehow actually like them.

Only thing I guessed about the lifetime warranty is that it was lifetime of the product, or something? Not sure if thats actually a thing though. Doesn't really excuse them either so idk.

May 13, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #69 of 119
I am still a bit of a sucker for Monster though. I was in London Drugs and they had a new model from Monster called CalrityHD and at $40 $34 it is a fun little IEM. Normally I wouldn't bother but I have had a rough couple of days and indulged on this new IEM just to give my mind a break from all the other stuff going on. But I am pretty cautious about buying anything expensive from them now.

May 16, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #70 of 119
The stress relief on my coppers has given up. Thus leaving some very flimsy cabling which I suspect will very shortly break. I've given monster a ring who have informed me the turbine range is gone :,(

But the customer service so far has been excellent. Given that I payed full price of £350 on the products release I have been offered any products from the monster line which will make up the value. All I have to do is supply proof of purchase. Which I have woohoo

Real question is do you think the RMA is going to be as straight forward. I somehow doubt it. Nothing in their current line up comes close to what I have. So begrudgingly im gonna have to settle for the adidas originals or the monster 24k edition and look like a complete tit .

May 16, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #71 of 119
I'm feeling your pain BoUnCiN :frowning2: You might want to try some sugru (google it, if necessary) on that strain relief. Monster has nothing close to a replacement for the Coppers. Neither does any other manufacturer - at least not that I've heard to date. The Coppers certainly have their weaknesses (not least of which is the high proportion of defects), but sound quality and clarity (in fully-working units) isn't one of them. I respectfully have to agree to disagree with those posters who claim the Coppers are shyte or past their prime. I've heard nothing - at any price - which beats their sound quality. I strongly suspect those that have, have defective Coppers.

May 17, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #72 of 119
Maybe you could try asking for multiple products to replace the £350? Maybe I'm just cheeky, but worth a try? There was no issue replacing with the DNA's. Pretty straight forward. My Turbines were delivered at their warehouse in Amsterdam on Friday, so I'm just waiting for an email to confirm they've received them and are sending out the replacement. Hopefully I'll find out tomorrow...

I have no confidence in how these headphones are gonna sound, though :frowning2:

May 23, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #73 of 119
I thought I was the only one with my MTPG falling apart! And I am very very disappointed with their so called "lifetime" warranty after dishing out a whooping $320 for them.

Has anyone replaced their MTP with another Monster product that is worth the price and sound of MTP?

I'm currently in progress with my replacement, but I don't know which product to choose, seeing that the only comparable price with the MTP are the Inspiration or DNA Pro 2.0 headphones.

Please let me know if anyone has replaced their MTP with another Monster product line!

May 23, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #74 of 119
I've heard nothing - at any price - which beats their sound quality. I strongly suspect those that have, have defective Coppers.

Absolute rubbish. I had the MTPC's for a couple of years and upgraded to the DUNU DN-1000 and they are superior in every way than the coppers. No contest. If you like their sound signature fair enough but for me the DN1K's were a substantial upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back